It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:34 pm
Change font size
Forum Home Public Utterby

Utterby

Utterby Wish List

A place for Staff and players alike to use to coordinate RPTs and in-game events. No IC info, please.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: Utterby Wish List

Postby Matt » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:22 am

ThinkTwice wrote:TIL: I'm the only one who isn't bothered by people ripping off other characters.

If you want to discuss ripping off a character concept blatantly and utterly, how original do you think every tall, dark-haired, steely-eyed killer is? I bet I know how he's going to react to danger, or how the curvacous, red-haired, green-eyed woman is going to react to said soldier. :roll: I don't want to get lost slinging mud, but I feel like y'all are coming down a little hard on this.

I don't think it's hard at all. It's very jarring for some people, myself included. One person doing it isn't so terribly bad and I can get over it. But if people don't go 'this is not alright' and we start getting other PCs in like that then it's not so easy to ignore. I just don't want Jason Snow and Myrion Banister running around and I don't think that's a lot to ask.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby deerskin » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:45 am

George R. R. Martin used inspiration in the making of his characters from a variety of different avenues which include and are not limited to history, real life, and other creations of the written word. So too did Tolkien. Are we going to seriously start nitpicking character concepts? Because if so... I'm out. That is not how you build a community. I will agree names should not be clearly ripped-off as names should be a lot more canon for the world we're playing in. But their look, their storyline...as long as it fits, who the crap-on-a-cracker cares?

As far as more wants from me:

RP. Shops. Skills with crafts.
deerskin
Forum Hobbit

Postby Matt » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:52 am

Using inspirations from things is completely fine and everyone does that. But if you literally take something from popular culture and just change the name that's completely different. George RR Martin didn't watch Rome and decide he wanted Titus Pollo to be a character and call him Mitus Dollo. If we decide it's alright we're going to start having people roll more PCs like that. You'll have a bunch of Black Vipers, Maryl the crossbow hunter, and Maragorn the rangers running around. And that'd really suck.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Tiamat » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:53 am

deerskin wrote:George R. R. Martin used inspiration in the making of his characters from a variety of different avenues which include and are not limited to history, real life, and other creations of the written word. So too did Tolkien. Are we going to seriously start nitpicking character concepts? Because if so... I'm out. That is not how you build a community. I will agree names should not be clearly ripped-off as names should be a lot more canon for the world we're playing in. But their look, their storyline...as long as it fits, who the crap-on-a-cracker cares?

As far as more wants from me:

RP. Shops. Skills with crafts.

Nobody is nitpicking concepts. People are just saying that blatant plagiarism of popular fictional or historical characters is immersion breaking. That's it. And all this being said, the horse is well beaten and dead. Let's move on from it.
Tiamat
Honored Elf

Postby WildGiller » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:00 pm

A Fish Oil Press (or whatever it is that's needed to turn fishies into jars of oil) in the lodge or in the kitchen of the Inn or something would be cool.

Heck, even down at the docks or something would be neat.
WildGiller
Honored Dwarf

Postby Icarus » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:49 pm

WildGiller wrote:A Fish Oil Press (or whatever it is that's needed to turn fishies into jars of oil) in the lodge or in the kitchen of the Inn or something would be cool.

It's on the docks now, just west of the barge.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Mithrandur » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:37 pm

Lodge foremen to be assigned already. :evil:

Also steel plate armor, Mastercraft weapons, legendary skills, no hunger/thirst code, automatic 1000 copper paydays, automated chariots as above, and last but not least shield horses for all.
Mithrandur
Honored Dwarf

Postby WildGiller » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:39 pm

Icarus wrote:
WildGiller wrote:A Fish Oil Press (or whatever it is that's needed to turn fishies into jars of oil) in the lodge or in the kitchen of the Inn or something would be cool.

It's on the docks now, just west of the barge.

Wheeeeee! :nom:
WildGiller
Honored Dwarf

Postby Hazgarn » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:58 pm

A torch mounted in the same room as the well would be awesome.
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

I am also a Guide. Feel free to contact me through AIM or PM with questions about the game.
Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:13 pm

You know, I was going to try to ignore the character discussion, even though it's so blatant as to be facepalm worthy. But, then I was watching an exchange earlier and it clicked in my brain. We seem to have managed to get a /couple/ (and not couple as in the number 2) from a popular HBO series. Which is just. :x

I don't want to be party to your lemon fanfiction. :roll:
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby Icarus » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:05 am

Yah. Please no.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby soiacc » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:02 am

Log rack for the Lodge's Mill room that will hold a lot of logs so we don't have to keep putting them where the grist mill is, also farming stuff! Although, I think it's too late in the season now to plant anything...and people in another thread joked about going all Donner party...this winter's gonna be rough y'all.

ETA:Meat salting,perserving and pickling crafts.
soiacc
Honored Dwarf

Postby Nyneve » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:22 am

Spam walkin' does indeed suck. However, sometimes ya just gotta go. I work in journalism. Sometimes I'm on the game, RP-ing and carrying on like a happy little llama, and my boss calls, and she's like, "THERE'S A THING HAPPENING! GO TO THE THING NOW! TAKE PICTURES OF THE THING!" And I gotta go.

Point is, spam-walking is a lame, but at times necessary evil.

Ripping off characters is totally not cool. Be imaginative. Take some characteristics from that character - physical, emotional, mental, whatever - but be your own PC. It's definitely immersion-breaking to walk up to someone and be like, "Hi, how ya doin'?" and then realize as soon as they answer, "Sweet baby carrots, that's literally with no exaggeration an exact replica of Liz Lemon. Where did they even find a Laura Bush pantsuit in Middle-Earth? That's dedication."

No bueno. Please don't do it.

A place to buy things like clothes, jewelry, and general knick-knacks would be swell.

*There is no Liz Lemon currently running around Utterby. That I know of. But there is that aforementioned HBO character, and it's sorta ishy to me.
“Then he called him Maeglin, which is Sharp Glance, for he perceived that the eyes of his son were more piercing than his own, and his thought could read the secrets of hearts beyond the mist of words.”
Nyneve
Dwarf Recruit

Postby MrDvAnt » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:25 am

Nyneve wrote:Spam walkin' does indeed suck. However, sometimes ya just gotta go. I work in journalism. Sometimes I'm on the game, RP-ing and carrying on like a happy little llama, and my boss calls, and she's like, "THERE'S A THING HAPPENING! GO TO THE THING NOW! TAKE PICTURES OF THE THING!" And I gotta go.

Point is, spam-walking is a lame, but at times necessary evil.

Ripping off characters is totally not cool. Be imaginative. Take some characteristics from that character - physical, emotional, mental, whatever - but be your own PC. It's definitely immersion-breaking to walk up to someone and be like, "Hi, how ya doin'?" and then realize as soon as they answer, "Sweet baby carrots, that's literally with no exaggeration an exact replica of Liz Lemon. Where did they even find a Laura Bush pantsuit in Middle-Earth? That's dedication."

No bueno. Please don't do it.

A place to buy things like clothes, jewelry, and general knick-knacks would be swell.

*There is no Liz Lemon currently running around Utterby. That I know of. But there is that aforementioned HBO character, and it's sorta ishy to me.

sew ordinary-pants-suit
MrDvAnt
Honored Elf

Postby Matt » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:26 pm

There's a clothier in town but bolts of cloth aren't cheap.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby sod » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:26 pm

Is there any other way of getting bolts of cloth than buying them at 90 copper? No other way for people with textilecraft to use their skill?
sod
Forum Hobbit

Postby Jeshin » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:31 pm

My understanding is that farming will unlock the ability to take raw materials and make bolts of cloth. Prior to that, it appears no.
Jeshin
Elf Recruit

Postby Hazgarn » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:33 pm

I put forward an idea in the crafting forum about forage-based cloth production (we have nettle-cloth in game, nettles could easily be forageable).
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

I am also a Guide. Feel free to contact me through AIM or PM with questions about the game.
Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:16 pm

The more I see of the Guard, the more I feel like it needs to not be a PC faction. Good lord. Just let PCs form a militia and have 'police' things handled by NPC.

ETA : Utterby is like 10 rooms big. Having a large number of people dedicated to policing it and giving them an air of superiority isn't needed. The Guard should be more responsible for the safety of town and the woods outside. And less about power over other players and hissy fits when one of the villagers doesn't lick your boot.
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby Erythil » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:55 pm

sod wrote:Is there any other way of getting bolts of cloth than buying them at 90 copper? No other way for people with textilecraft to use their skill?

Note that 90 copper is a recent, more cheap price. I actually don't think it's unreasonable compared to what we had before, but it only seems to be applies to undyed nettlecloth at the moment.
Erythil
Dwarf Recruit

Postby WildGiller » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:56 pm

I don't even know who the guard is. If I were to yell GUARD and some random person came in and was like I'm a guard, I'd be like, good enough! *wipes hands clean* xD

Can we seriously put some shoulder patches on these folks?
WildGiller
Honored Dwarf

Postby LuckyV » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:58 pm

RiderOnTheStorm wrote:The more I see of the Guard, the more I feel like it needs to not be a PC faction. Good lord. Just let PCs form a militia and have 'police' things handled by NPC.

ETA : Utterby is like 10 rooms big. Having a large number of people dedicated to policing it and giving them an air of superiority isn't needed. The Guard should be more responsible for the safety of town and the woods outside. And less about power over other players and hissy fits when one of the villagers doesn't lick your boot.

This is a completely IG problem with IG means for solutions.

You're in Utterby to do business for Gararic, if something is getting in the way then it means bad business for Gararic.

Though if it's nothing serious then well... It is normal that there are types of guards who are plain mean.
LuckyV
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Throttle » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:10 pm

RiderOnTheStorm wrote:The more I see of the Guard, the more I feel like it needs to not be a PC faction. Good lord. Just let PCs form a militia and have 'police' things handled by NPC.

Very little actual policing has been done, but some PCs are so over the top spiteful and hostile towards the Guard that it has no choice but to respond heavy-handedly.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:38 pm

Throttle wrote:

Very little actual policing has been done, but some PCs are so over the top spiteful and hostile towards the Guard that it has no choice but to respond heavy-handedly.

This seems like a pretty clear case of power over other players going to people's heads OOCly, and it's an OOC issue because I'm suggesting that the Guard shouldn't exist as it currently does, given the setting. I don't think a tiny town like Utterby needs 2 dozen police. Militia to defend the town? Yes.
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby WorkerDrone » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:47 pm

Just saying, "I don't think X" and expressing a desire to "get rid of Y" doesn't add to the discussion. If I'm reading this right Throttle is claiming IC circumstances have forced an IC response that could be regarded as "heavy-handed".

So address it IC.
I hope you die right now, will you drink my chemical?

Brian wrote:See, the thing that I admire about WorkerDrone is that he's an optimist!

:lol:
WorkerDrone
Guide

PreviousNext

Return to Utterby

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login