It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:11 am
Change font size
Forum Home Public Utterby

Utterby

Skewed Board Posts

A place for Staff and players alike to use to coordinate RPTs and in-game events. No IC info, please.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Skewed Board Posts

Postby toofast » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:56 pm

Please, when you make a board post in the Lodge, make sure that it states general information or is clearly one player-character's dialogue. Saw a post that is blatantly one PC having a few NPCs back them up while they themselves were not included as having spoken in the post.

Doing this is what I'd call abusing a coded feature that has an impact on roleplay. Staff, please correct me if I'm wrong.
toofast
Elf Recruit

Re: Skewed Board Posts

Postby Hazgarn » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:26 pm

Yeah, I recall pretty clearly that sort of thing being against the rules in the past. In fact, I believe that's why they changed the code to specifically tag posts with the sdesc of the person who posted it.
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

I am also a Guide. Feel free to contact me through AIM or PM with questions about the game.
Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby EltanimRas » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:51 pm

I've never liked those tags or too-strict rules. There always seem to be at least a few players OOCly willing to invest their time writing general information and gossip posts, but whose PCs wouldn't be ICly likely sources. The fewer barriers the better, especially when we have off-peakers depending on the boards to make sense of town events.

Of course, PC disputes/competition and purported [v]NPC opinions on the same are another kettle of fish altogether. :?
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby Frigga » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:01 pm

Even regardless of topic - endless walls of text posted on boards is kind of a nightmare, as an FYI.

But yes - to re-iterate, the purpose of the boards is to have quips of conversation, gossip, "looking for" ads and that kind of thing. It isn't to imply large swaths of vNPCs having one opinion or another on something (if you'd like to request vNPCs weighing in on a particular thing - ask staff.) or to use it as way to ad hoc fights and pissing contests with other PCs.

Meet up and do that. ;)
Frigga
The Ice Queen

Postby tehkory » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:48 am

EltanimRas wrote:I've never liked those tags or too-strict rules. There always seem to be at least a few players OOCly willing to invest their time writing general information and gossip posts, but whose PCs wouldn't be ICly likely sources. The fewer barriers the better, especially when we have off-peakers depending on the boards to make sense of town events.

Of course, PC disputes/competition and purported [v]NPC opinions on the same are another kettle of fish altogether. :?

In situations where my PC wouldn't bring it up but 'knows' about it, I usually use that as a source of contention with the vNPCs, making them (mis)report information, and mention that "so-and-so wasn't there, but he just told me to go die when I asked him about it. Jerk."

Lets people know my PC has some sort of opinion, was there, and that something happened all in one post.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby kingsfoil » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:06 pm

Frigga wrote:Even regardless of topic - endless walls of text posted on boards is kind of a nightmare, as an FYI.

But yes - to re-iterate, the purpose of the boards is to have quips of conversation, gossip, "looking for" ads and that kind of thing. It isn't to imply large swaths of vNPCs having one opinion or another on something (if you'd like to request vNPCs weighing in on a particular thing - ask staff.) or to use it as way to ad hoc fights and pissing contests with other PCs.

Meet up and do that. ;)

Bumping this, because people are still doing it.

Gossip board posts are not the place for your personal speeches. They represent what might be heard and repeated by tavern-goer NPCs. No mead-drinking Utterby citizen is going to memorize and recite your 6+ line speech about something they don't care about.

If you want to spread a message or change the opinion of characters in game, roleplay with those characters in the game.
kingsfoil
Verified Member

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:18 pm

If the above is correct, then fifty or more of the posts need to come down. My understanding is that as long as you're saying you said it and don't have JoeNPC going 'I hate so and so' for you, you're fine.
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby tehkory » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:35 pm

RiderOnTheStorm wrote:If the above is correct, then fifty or more of the posts need to come down. My understanding is that as long as you're saying you said it and don't have JoeNPC going 'I hate so and so' for you, you're fine.

The above's pretty correct for creating a realistic boardpost. It's not really a contentious or even arguable to say that having people recite your speeches isn't realistic. Keep it down to generalizations and misrememberings, misquotings and confusion.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby EltanimRas » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:35 pm

tehkory wrote:Keep it down to generalizations and misrememberings, misquotings and confusion.

Fortunately, these can all be lots of fun!
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby Jme » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:00 am

Also, try to keep the message vague, account for the fact this information is hear-say, for example - try not to give unrealistic details that are over the top and no one would actually care to mention.

Brief and to-the-point is the way forward.
Have a Jmetastic day.

SOI CHARACTER APPRECIATION THREAD:
http://www.middle-earth.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1131&p=13525
Jme
Forum Hobbit

Return to Utterby

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login