It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:10 pm
Change font size
Forum Home Public Crafts

Crafts

You and Meat

Suggest crafts, talk about existing crafts, debate the finer points of your craftiness.

Moderator: Elder Staff

You and Meat

Postby Nailah » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:09 am

I'm taking out the slicing crafts for whole roasts because I wasn't aware butchering could be used on cooked meats, based on previous incarnations of the game.

I've been talking to Frigga and we are discussing some new butcher crafts to make more select cuts of meat. We're also taking a look at meat yields, especially those that come from high-yield carcasses such as wolves with little actual tasty meat value to try and alleviate the gross meat swamp.

Work in progress to be updated, but in the meantime, cut the roasts with the butcher skill. I wasn't aware the option existed, and I don't think many others did either, so here's us in the know!
Nailah
Honored Dwarf

Re: You and Meat

Postby Hazgarn » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:57 am

Not quite a crafting issue, but the thread is already here...

Butchering a boiled gamebird frequently yields zero meat, even with butchering at Familiar. It always seems to get you a skeleton. This is frustrating. :cry:
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

I am also a Guide. Feel free to contact me through AIM or PM with questions about the game.
Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby Hazgarn » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:42 pm

Nailah wrote:I'm taking out the slicing crafts for whole roasts because I wasn't aware butchering could be used on cooked meats, based on previous incarnations of the game.

I think slicing crafts might potentially still have a place. I know butchering can be hit and miss sometimes in a way that doesn't always make sense. At Familiar it's possible to get only three pieces out of a raw boar, or to get nothing at all edible out of a boiled bird. It might be nice to have a slicing craft for cooked carcasses that grants some minimum guaranteed yield, while allowing people with higher skill the potential to get more meat out of it if they use the butcher command.
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

I am also a Guide. Feel free to contact me through AIM or PM with questions about the game.
Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby tehkory » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:12 pm

Hazgarn wrote:
Nailah wrote:I'm taking out the slicing crafts for whole roasts because I wasn't aware butchering could be used on cooked meats, based on previous incarnations of the game.

I think slicing crafts might potentially still have a place. I know butchering can be hit and miss sometimes in a way that doesn't always make sense. At Familiar it's possible to get only three pieces out of a raw boar, or to get nothing at all edible out of a boiled bird. It might be nice to have a slicing craft for cooked carcasses that grants some minimum guaranteed yield, while allowing people with higher skill the potential to get more meat out of it if they use the butcher command.

Even ignoring wolf and warg, meat is so easy to get that we really don't need it to be easier, Hazgarn.

ETA: pile forage ease(some of them 24/7 365) ontop of that and it's waaaaay too easy to get foods.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Hazgarn » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:30 pm

It's not that it's hard to get meat, but cooking (especially for a clan) can be tedious and time consuming done a piece at a time. Being able to cook whole animals at once should make that easier, but having something you've already cooked give you literally nothing is very frustrating.

ETA: A very good example of his is fetching water to pluck a pheasant. Fetching more water to gut it. Fetching more water to boil it and then getting nothing but an inedible skeleton once you try to cut it up.
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby Onasaki » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:22 pm

I want Roast Burnt-Meat to test cooking at a very low level (lowest it can go), if possible.

'Cause I remember being able to branch vaguely from burning meat. I could be wrong. And I'm not sure of how the system works, so it could be a dumb idea on my part.
I have two forces by my side
One's the truth and one's a lie
Which one's which I cannot tell
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Postby EltanimRas » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:06 am

Hazgarn wrote:It's not that it's hard to get meat, but cooking (especially for a clan) can be tedious and time consuming done a piece at a time.

It's also weird to be repeatedly RPing dramatic failure at basic tasks, at least if said failure seems disproportionate to one's PC's overall skill level in the relevant area.
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby Hazgarn » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:26 pm

Yields of extra meat from butchering cooked carcasses are being consumed by the stacking bug. :cry:

You succeed in cutting 14 slice of roasted boar meats from the carcass.
You prevail in recovering 12 slice of roasted boar meats from the bones.
You fail to render anything else of use from the carcass.

<****** / ^^^^^^ / ||||||> You get 15 slice of roasted boar meats.
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby Nailah » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:12 pm

Hazgarn wrote:Yields of extra meat from butchering cooked carcasses are being consumed by the stacking bug. :cry:

You succeed in cutting 14 slice of roasted boar meats from the carcass.
You prevail in recovering 12 slice of roasted boar meats from the bones.
You fail to render anything else of use from the carcass.

<****** / ^^^^^^ / ||||||> You get 15 slice of roasted boar meats.

Ick. I'll unstack these slices, since it's the one meat that will already come in decent sized stacks. The butchering cooked things from cooked carcasses wasn't my personal design, so with the addition of butchering crafts, I'll see how others feel about putting in some keyed slice crafts into cooking set.

For now, though, unstacking slices of boar and venison should fix the stacking loss that comes from using the butcher command. Doing it with hunks of meat, however, makes way too much mess, but there's so many around, I doubt it's a huge loss. People will probably wean off of hunks little by little as the other butcher meat yields go in via crafts.

(All admins are forbidden from changing or making objects due to some bugs that Nimrod is working on. When I am able to edit them again, I will make this change.)
Nailah
Honored Dwarf

Postby Nailah » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:16 am

I unstacked these cooked yields on the BP for now, so you shouldn't have a problem. Let me know if I missed one.

We're going to revisit slicing when I finish getting butchery in, so roasts, etc. can be included in considerations. It's looking likely one big keyed slice meat craft may be put in with a cooking opener, but I want to wait until we can get any adjustments done in one fell swoop.
Nailah
Honored Dwarf

Return to Crafts

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login