It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:52 pm
Change font size
Forum Home Public Crafts

Crafts

Foraging: How does it work?

Suggest crafts, talk about existing crafts, debate the finer points of your craftiness.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Foraging: How does it work?

Postby Bones » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:27 pm

I type forage survey.. I see numbers and items listed.

Can we search for these specific items via foraging? Luck of the draw?

What's the breakdown on the new foraging?
Nimrod banned me for 7 days.
Bones
Elf Recruit

Re: Foraging: How does it work?

Postby Hazgarn » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:34 pm

I think if you type "forage survey" and get a list, when you then type "forage #", you have a slightly higher chance to find that specific item instead of another when compared to just using "forage". And that chance probably increases with your forage skill.

(If that is what you meant, it might not be.)
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

I am also a Guide. Feel free to contact me through AIM or PM with questions about the game.
Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby Real » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:37 pm

The forage survey readout tells you what can be foraged in any given area, and there are different types of forage zones. The only way to really tell is to use survey, since in many of the forest rooms you can forage copses of trees, but in others you can only get roots. Expect the tables to be consistent, special spots for foraging are usually in high-traffic areas for the most dangerous mobs.

If I remember correctly, skill level goes like this for letting you see what's around;
(Somewhere low) -> Very Common
Novice -> Common
Familiar -> Uncommon
Adroit -> Rare

You use "forage vc 1" for the first thing on the very common list, or "forage r 13" for the thirteenth thing on the rare list. - Just the abbreviation of the rarity and the number. After you forage a room it usually takes about an hour for it to reset and allow you to forage there again. Always specify what you want unless there's nothing you see on the list that you want, I find it makes a pretty significant difference.
Everything gets smaller now the further that I go
Towards the mouth and the reunion of the known and the unknown
Consider yourself lucky if you think of it as home
You can move mountains with your misery if you don't
Real
Elf Recruit

Postby Bones » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:42 pm

Thrillingly helpful. Thanks so much, that made a HUGE difference.
Nimrod banned me for 7 days.
Bones
Elf Recruit

Postby Onasaki » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:30 pm

Going to sort of bring this up again, but mostly because we're having a helluva time finding iron ore. I don't know if it's because none of our foragers are high enough, or if there's something bugged with finding chunks.

But it seems we can't find any ore anymore, since the bog-peat crafts were removed.
I have two forces by my side
One's the truth and one's a lie
Which one's which I cannot tell
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Postby tehkory » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:53 pm

Onasaki wrote:Going to sort of bring this up again, but mostly because we're having a helluva time finding iron ore. I don't know if it's because none of our foragers are high enough, or if there's something bugged with finding chunks.

But it seems we can't find any ore anymore, since the bog-peat crafts were removed.

It's changed so that foraging bog-iron is possibly, but difficult, without the skill. You require foraging at a decent level(I think adroit) before you can find it on your own.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Icarus » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:52 am

Indeed.

It used to be on a list by itself, allowing for random foraging. We added other stuff to the list, so that blind foraging is less effective. Get a proper outdoorsman out there foraging, and they will bring quite a bit in.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Return to Crafts

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login