It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:59 pm
Change font size
Forum Home Public Crafts

Crafts

leatherworking and you

Suggest crafts, talk about existing crafts, debate the finer points of your craftiness.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: leatherworking and you

Postby Throttle » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:29 am

What's the difference between scudding and tanning?
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby WorkerDrone » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:34 am

From Wikipedia:

Unhairing wrote:"Hair retention is visualised as either intact hairs being present, hair roots being present or as epidermal scales/flakes still being seen. This is often referred to as scud. Scudding is thus the operation where unwanted hair or epidermis is scraped off the hide / skin."
I hope you die right now, will you drink my chemical?

Brian wrote:See, the thing that I admire about WorkerDrone is that he's an optimist!

:lol:
WorkerDrone
Guide

Postby Throttle » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:39 am

Yeah but what are the actual crafts for? The tan crafts appear to use and produce the same objects as their corresponding scud crafts.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby WorkerDrone » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:41 am

So you're saying there's two crafts, one for say, tanning (brining?) and one like scudding, and both appear to produce straight leather, as opposed to scudding being a craft that prepares an object -to- be tanned?

Because that seems like a mistake, if that's the case.
I hope you die right now, will you drink my chemical?

Brian wrote:See, the thing that I admire about WorkerDrone is that he's an optimist!

:lol:
WorkerDrone
Guide

Postby Throttle » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:51 am

Yeah.
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby Inzannadee » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:48 am

Tanning: tan small-pelt
Produced: a small, tanning, $furcolor pelt.

Tanning: scud brined-small-pelt
Produced: a small, tanning, $leathercolorcolor skin.

Tanning the brined pelt retains the fur. Scudding the brined pelt scrapes the fur off.

Also as a side note, is it me or is leather/pelts suddenly getting heavier?
Inzannadee
Dwarf Recruit

Postby WildGiller » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:53 am

They definitely seem so.
I had 7 brined pelts in a sack.
Tanned them. Then only 2 would fit in the sack...
:?
WildGiller
Honored Dwarf

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:06 am

Pelts are buggy. Crashes/quitting will often drop a pelt from 7-15 pounds or more, to 'less than a pound'. This also causes your weight to be buggy sometimes. IE,'carrying 40 lbs' when you know you only have like 20. Relogging seems to fix the ghost weight. Tanning weightless pelts probably gives their weight back.
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby Icarus » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:44 am

Yah... pelts should have a hard weight... they shouldn't be changing.

Please send a support ticket regarding it.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Snapdragon » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:40 pm

Snapdragon wrote:So I was wondering if there was any way at all that pieces of leather could be added together to make the total required amount? There is nothing more frustrating then having 10 large squares of leather, each with 1 or 2 uses on it, but not having enough leather to make a cloak, or a satchel or whatever. Aside from the space it takes up, it's beyond tedious trying to slog through several squares just to find out you don't have enough.

Not trying to rant, swear. I think you builders are doing some amazing work and I look forward to every new craft you add. love you. kthxbye

Bumping this so it doesn't get lost in the discussion
Snapdragon
Dwarf Recruit

Postby tehkory » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:45 pm

Snapdragon wrote:So I was wondering if there was any way at all that pieces of leather could be added together to make the total required amount? There is nothing more frustrating then having 10 large squares of leather, each with 1 or 2 uses on it, but not having enough leather to make a cloak, or a satchel or whatever. Aside from the space it takes up, it's beyond tedious trying to slog through several squares just to find out you don't have enough.

Not trying to rant, swear. I think you builders are doing some amazing work and I look forward to every new craft you add. love you. kthxbye

In Atonement and Parallel, two or more objects with uses could be used in one craft. Have you tried using the various 1 to 2 use pelts all together at once?
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Snapdragon » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:29 pm

it auto'ed in atonement though. If you had one bit of a bolt of cloth, and another bit of a bolt of cloth while needing 2 for a craft, it just automatically looked through the room to see if you had enough. If you did, presto, it did the craft.
Snapdragon
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Inzannadee » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:56 pm

Here's what I discovered.

Code: Select all
A large square of pale leather has been neatly folded here.

Each square had 1 use left, all from the same animal. I was able to use it to make leggings. So it works, but I guess you can't make a patchwork leather item.
Inzannadee
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Snapdragon » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:20 pm

well, that's a start I guess.
Snapdragon
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Snapdragon » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:26 am

So, having done it a bunch I humbly ask that the brining/scudding process be shortened a bit. Not the morphing time, but the actual processing itself. It takes me at least a RL hour to to work through the hides that are brought in by very active hunters only to have to log back in some 12 hours later just to do the scudding. It just gets really, really tedious.

I probably sound like I'm whining, but meh.

*edit* Upon reflection, it's just the scudding process that takes so long to complete.
Snapdragon
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Inzannadee » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:44 am

The brining isn't so very long. However, the scudding is very painful! Especially when the mud could crash at any given moment!

I'm definitely in favor of shortening scudding at least!
Inzannadee
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Matt » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:04 am

No it's seriously horrible.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:05 am

Funny this got bumped, was about to do it myself.

Please to make wolf hide less useful/smaller, since I don't foresee a change to how patrols collect mass pelts.
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby Matt » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:05 am

RiderOnTheStorm wrote:Funny this got bumped, was about to do it myself.

Please to make wolf hide less useful/smaller, since I don't foresee a change to how patrols collect mass pelts.

Actually I think this needs to happen. I called for them to get added to the large pelt list because it was impossible to get deer at first. Now there's pro hunters that know what they're doing in can bring them in pretty easily. So wolves should get pulled from the large list so that being a professional hunter is more profitable of a job choice. 100 wolf pelts every couple days is kind of drowning that out. Wargs should stay though, for orcs. Any humans with warg armor should be shunned.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Inzannadee » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:57 am

If we move wolves back down to medium, fur-cloak needs to be changed so that it can make use of medium pelts. Or a different fur cloak craft to use medium sized furs. Wolf cloak? I think yes!
Inzannadee
Dwarf Recruit

Postby WildGiller » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:00 am

I think its weird that any average joe can tell what animal the leather came from to begin with. There isn't like. Fur on it..

It's.. Like I can't walk into a leather purse store and go, that purse is definitely cow leather while that one is clearly sheep leather! No one should be able to eyeball that right off unless they're really friggin' savvy with animal skins as a whole. Seems silly to even RP it. Unless there is some obvious indicator other than the $animaltype being in the sdesc that I missed
WildGiller
Honored Dwarf

Postby EltanimRas » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:37 am

WildGiller wrote:It's.. Like I can't walk into a leather purse store and go, that purse is definitely cow leather while that one is clearly sheep leather! No one should be able to eyeball that right off unless they're really friggin' savvy with animal skins as a whole. Seems silly to even RP it. Unless there is some obvious indicator other than the $animaltype being in the sdesc that I missed

Wait, you mean I shouldn't have been shunning those PCs with dog-leather satchels? o.O
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby Raukran » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:40 am

Inzannadee wrote:If we move wolves back down to medium, fur-cloak needs to be changed so that it can make use of medium pelts. Or a different fur cloak craft to use medium sized furs. Wolf cloak? I think yes!

I was meaning to request this change, but have a hazy memory at times. If a crafter is feeling ambitious enough, I'd love to see the other fur sizes added to the fur clothing crafts. The charges of identical items are stackable when crafting, so in theory you could make a cloak out of something like mink or fox if you have enough of the exact same pelts. It'd be a challenge for hunters to match fur pelts, but it'd add some more uniqueness to people's equipment. The biggest problem I see in making the change is writing/swapping out the variables lines in the description.
I am not responsible for the actions of my characters.
Raukran
Unverified User

Postby Snapdragon » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:23 am

that's not precisely true though. I had two black large hides the other night and it still wouldn't let me preform the craft, even though there was enough hide between the two. And, you can't actually just look at a hide to find out what it came from.
Snapdragon
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Raukran » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:48 am

Snapdragon wrote:that's not precisely true though. I had two black large hides the other night and it still wouldn't let me preform the craft, even though there was enough hide between the two. And, you can't actually just look at a hide to find out what it came from.

I believe furs have three variable types, and I imagine they'd all have to be the same to work in this manner. But I could just be plain wrong.
I am not responsible for the actions of my characters.
Raukran
Unverified User

PreviousNext

Return to Crafts

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login