It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:16 am
Change font size
Forum Home Public Utterby

Utterby

Utterby Wish List

A place for Staff and players alike to use to coordinate RPTs and in-game events. No IC info, please.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: Utterby Wish List

Postby deerskin » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:41 am

Matt wrote:This is why we need an auction house. No, no market for you.

Auctions. Fine. Order lists. Peachy.

Must. Have. Lootz.
deerskin
Forum Hobbit

Postby Jme » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:43 am

Deerskin's cute when she doesn't get her way :P
Have a Jmetastic day.

SOI CHARACTER APPRECIATION THREAD:
http://www.middle-earth.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1131&p=13525
Jme
Forum Hobbit

Postby soiacc » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:47 am

An auction house, if you mean like in Atonement, makes no sense in this environment. It is no different than an npc shop except a player doesn't make the coin with the npc shop. There is no role-play involved in the transaction and actually there may be more role-play with the npc than with the automated auction. Say you have one crafter in any given craftset. What if he/she dies/stores? You'd have to wait for a new pc to practice up to the old crafter's level or go without if the spot goes unfilled. I would say the best thing would be to let the NPC buy the crafters' things at a discount and then sell them for jacked up prices. It would still make pc to pc transactions more desirable, but also let pcs unload their inventory if there isn't anyone around or for that phenomenon where oocly people don't buy small things like cups, forks and plates, focusing more on armor and weapons, but icly people would buy these things because irl people need those things. I think this is why there is always so much clutter with cups and all the other small, cheap things we have to craft to branch and improve skills. Nobody wants to buy them, and so they sit in shelves and bins until someone needs the space and decides to junk them all.
soiacc
Honored Dwarf

Postby WorkerDrone » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:48 am

Why the heck not let someone import something at a jacked up price if there's no one in town to provide it? I thought that was the original intent, even.
I hope you die right now, will you drink my chemical?

Brian wrote:See, the thing that I admire about WorkerDrone is that he's an optimist!

:lol:
WorkerDrone
Guide

Postby soiacc » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:07 am

I think that there should be import sellers, but they should be once in a while, like the peddlers in the Two Rivers, different series, but you understand. They'd be something to anticipate, save up for. They'd be where you got news of the region from and whatnot.

That's something different than having shops with locally made things. I thought that's what the trading grounds were going to be for, but then they turned into workshops/smithies.

The public smithies/workshops seem like they would clash with the idea that the Lodge is where most of the crafters go.
soiacc
Honored Dwarf

Postby deerskin » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:17 am

Jme wrote:Deerskin's cute when she doesn't get her way :P

Auction House: I agree... if it is like it was on Atonement, it is not what I want.

I liked Order Lists and PC shops. Still like them. They are favorable to those with weird hours.
deerskin
Forum Hobbit

Postby Jme » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:38 am

I like this whole idea of ordering in stuff, I'm actually working on something that I'll run by imms, see if we can't do this all with PCs besides the actual loading of objects from orders/smuggling/shipments etc.
Have a Jmetastic day.

Jme
Forum Hobbit

Postby Matt » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:26 am

Sure if you have to pay 500 coin a shirt that's cool. But being able to buy goods from a NPC that a PC can make out of IC convenience really sucks. Obviously you don't have to call it an auction house. Just make a spot people can put things up for sale in the market for a commission and put a board next to it. People can post what they want/need and merchants can put their stuff up for sale.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Jme » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:48 am

Translation for Matt: Let's have it so you can order stuff that PCs can't make.
Have a Jmetastic day.

Jme
Forum Hobbit

Postby soiacc » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:16 am

Being an independent crafter should be hard. You should have to work for every sale. If you're going to have an ordering system it should run through the Lodge. People would be able to leave their order, the corresponding Foreman would hand out the orders to the crafters and then the customer would then be able to pick it up once it was completed, the crafter getting a commission on the sale, the rest going to the Lodge. This would add appeal to working for the Lodge, increasing the chances of there being the right crafters for each area of crafting. It would also generate rp, with the crafters vying for each commission and it would be more than just an automated way to sell things easier. Also, this would allow for the Lodge to maybe hire freelance crafters, if say a current order comes in without the right crafting pc available which would generate more rp.
soiacc
Honored Dwarf

Postby Matt » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:38 am

That's fine, do that. But making it so you can just buy the stuff from a NPC vendor completely breaks the economy of the game, as far as finished goods go. If it can be crafted from raw goods it should never be sold by a NPC.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Raukran » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:35 pm

Matt wrote:That's fine, do that. But making it so you can just buy the stuff from a NPC vendor completely breaks the economy of the game, as far as finished goods go. If it can be crafted from raw goods it should never be sold by a NPC.

I agree with Matt. The only good shops are ones where active players can collect earnings from, and reintroduce money back into the economy. Also, the only money that should be created should be when new characters are generated. This is the only way to keep the economy relatively stable, which in turns allows market prices for items to level out.
I am not responsible for the actions of my characters.
Raukran
Unverified User

Postby Hazgarn » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:50 pm

One possible compromise might be to offer two separate auctions/markets: a "free" market, where independents can place their goods for a fee, and a Lodge-sponsored market, where a lesser/absent fee would (likely) allow Lodge members to offer their goods at a lower price.

And a board earmarked specifically for Want/Need/Have type posts where PCs can order and offer goods (and not have those posts buried underneath reported orc movements and bickering gossip) is an excellent idea regardless of whether there is an automated means of exchanging items or not.
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

I am also a Guide. Feel free to contact me through AIM or PM with questions about the game.
Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby Songweaver » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:16 pm

Remove the sneak penalties to leather armor, and perhaps lower the weight a bit. It seems like a code holdover to a heavier armor type from Atonement, and leather armor is the preferred armor of sneaky-sorts everywhere.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:53 pm

Songweaver wrote:Remove the sneak penalties to leather armor, and perhaps lower the weight a bit. It seems like a code holdover to a heavier armor type from Atonement, and leather armor is the preferred armor of sneaky-sorts everywhere.

Good lord, please yes.

What is it, 21 pounds for a leather gambeson? I feel like it should be more like...5. The cloak/etc have weight too.
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby Vwest » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:08 pm

Songweaver wrote:Remove the sneak penalties to leather armor, and perhaps lower the weight a bit. It seems like a code holdover to a heavier armor type from Atonement, and leather armor is the preferred armor of sneaky-sorts everywhere.

I'd rather just have a different type of leather armor for sneaks.

If it's going to be light and allow freedom of movement, it needs to be less dense and more supple. That is going to make it overall less protective.

Having two general types will let poor house warriors still pick up some hard leather for protection, but let the hunter population have suitable equipment to ply their trade, since hunters are a big part of Utterby's internal economy.

If someone staff side is willing to add some items in, I'd be fine with writing them up. A community call for craft recipes of all kinds would likely yield a lot of volunteers, since everyone wants more... well, anything, really.

People with money are just spinning their wheels right now, it seems, with nothing to really invest in beyond same-old, which makes things a little boring overall.
Vwest
Verified Member

Postby Matt » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:24 pm

Crafts in this system are actually a pretty large pain in the butt to write. Doing descriptions is the easy part.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Tiamat » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:31 pm

Refer to this if you want a quick overview of how building on this RPI+ Engine works.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BySrPxB ... sp=sharing

If, after that, crafting still seems like your cup of tea, you can apply to be a Player Builder. :P
Tiamat
Honored Elf

Postby MrDvAnt » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:10 pm

RiderOnTheStorm wrote:

Good lord, please yes.

What is it, 21 pounds for a leather gambeson? I feel like it should be more like...5. The cloak/etc have weight too.

I can't pick up a dead rabbit without losing my ability to sneak due to the weight of my armor. :(
MrDvAnt
Honored Elf

Postby Tepes » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:29 pm

Leather armor IRL is heavy. Don't expect it to be -just- five pounds. Remember, you're wearing the skin of something.
Tepes
Honored Dwarf

Postby toofast » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:57 pm

Leather armor, lacking any metal studding or reinforcement, isn't that heavy. 5-10 pounds for a gambeson is good. Your average suit of light chainmail sits at 20-40lb. Modern day soldiers carry up to two times the weight in gear compared to medieval knights.
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby Songweaver » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:24 pm

Like I said, I suspect that leather is (codely) what metal used to be on Atonement. My suspicion is that they changed the names and armor/damage table numbers in their re-balance, but did not change the standardized weights or sneak/hide penalties to match. I am betting that it's merely an oversight, but it should be fixed ASAP.

Let people in metal armor suffer sneak/hide penalties and be encumbered wearing armor (so that they need to have sufficient strength to handle it). You shouldn't need great strength to wear leather armor, and leather armor shouldn't make you noisy.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby MrDvAnt » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:10 pm

Songweaver wrote:Like I said, I suspect that leather is (codely) what metal used to be on Atonement. My suspicion is that they changed the names and armor/damage table numbers in their re-balance, but did not change the standardized weights or sneak/hide penalties to match. I am betting that it's merely an oversight, but it should be fixed ASAP.

Let people in metal armor suffer sneak/hide penalties and be encumbered wearing armor (so that they need to have sufficient strength to handle it). You shouldn't need great strength to wear leather armor, and leather armor shouldn't make you noisy.

Agreed. My gambeson, leggings, gloves, coif and cloak pretty much use all the weight allowance for my average strength. It really shouldn't be so heavy.
MrDvAnt
Honored Elf

Postby krelm » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:40 am

Like I said, I suspect that leather is (codely) what metal used to be on Atonement. My suspicion is that they changed the names and armor/damage table numbers in their re-balance, but did not change the standardized weights or sneak/hide penalties to match. I am betting that it's merely an oversight, but it should be fixed ASAP.

This is exactly what happened.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby Jme » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:51 am

thought so lel
Have a Jmetastic day.

Jme
Forum Hobbit