It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:46 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

IG Boards

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

IG Boards

Postby jdidds » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:48 am

Is it still possible to use colours and such on the IG boards? Or is that a thing of the past now?

I can´t for the life of me remember how to do it either. I remember being able to use the purple colour for mobs and the green colour for items with good effect. Makes the IG boards more like a conversation :)
Code: Select all
There is currently 1 soul braving the world all alone.
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Re: IG Boards

Postby jdidds » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:54 am

I´m not sure I like the current system as it posts your description on the first line. I liked it more when you could pass it off as a conversation between two patrons, commenting on something that happened or what someone said.
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Postby Icarus » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:12 am

It should still work. I can't remember the exact wording of it, but in an emote go #1test#0 to give it a try.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby kestrel » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:20 am

Pro: Major accountability issues resolved, people now know which characters' players are making biased posts, etc. Probably saves admin time for more important oversight.

Con: Dissuades players who might want to make posts from doing so if their characters aren't the gossipy types. Hurts off-peak players, especially.
kestrel
Honored Dwarf

Postby Rivean » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:27 am

kestrel wrote:Pro: Major accountability issues resolved, people now know which characters' players are making biased posts, etc. Probably saves admin time for more important oversight.

Con: Dissuades players who might want to make posts from doing so if their characters aren't the gossipy types. Hurts off-peak players, especially.

The pro would be emphasized and the con part would be eliminated if the posted by tag was entirely OOC. The accountability issue is, after all, an OOC one, and the character gossip/vs. no gossip is an IC matter.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby EltanimRas » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:30 am

Rivean wrote:The pro would be emphasized and the con part would be eliminated if the posted by tag was entirely OOC.

I'd be all for a switch to OOC "posted by the player of the tressy-tressed woman" post tags.
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby kestrel » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:32 am

I'd consider that an improvement as well.
kestrel
Honored Dwarf

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:35 am

Actually, there is IC accountability with the way it is set up, imo and there should be.

If you post saying Joe The Crippled cooper was saying how dumb XYZ is...in my book, that can and should ICly be traced back to your character starting the gossip/whatever.

If you want to gossip, gossip. If you don't want to gossip, you don't need imaginary npcs to do it for you or for you to hide behind. Do I get an imaginary mercenary to fight for me if I make a character 'who isn't the combat-y sort'?
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby Rivean » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:44 am

RiderOnTheStorm wrote:If you post saying Joe The Crippled cooper was saying how dumb XYZ is...in my book, that can and should ICly be traced back to your character starting the gossip/whatever.

Actually, the board posting rules have always (as per SOI2) been that if you are going to say anything at all defamatory about another PC or NPC then it should clearly be attributed to your own PC.

By making the 'posted by' tag IC, you prevent people from relating events that others might be interested in reading, because the natural way for gossip of this sort to circulate would be a conversation between NPCs, rather than a long speech attributed to a PC which no NPC in his right mind would actually remember.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby EltanimRas » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:54 am

RiderOnTheStorm wrote:If you want to gossip, gossip. If you don't want to gossip, you don't need imaginary npcs to do it for you or for you to hide behind.

Sometimes the player posting doesn't 'want to gossip'. He wants to give off-peak characters an IC way to learn that the town gate was flattened by trolls, because, logically, it makes no sense for them to spend days trying to figure out what the heck happened to the gate.

It should be common knowledge, regardless of the personality of any given PC.

ETA, more usefully: Using Color in Board Posts, etc.
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby jdidds » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:58 am

I agree that posts should be easily traced back to your character, but I think this should be only on an OOC level. As it is now, the first line of an IG board is always "blah blah blah insert char. desc here was overheard saying... and so on..."

But my character isn't one that would talk much to patrons at the inn and Would be more of a charcter that is talked about by Inn goers. it breaks immersion for me. I think it would be better with the old system with an OOC note at the end saying posted by so on and so forth. I don't like using the boards much at the momen 'cause it feels like I need to break charactEr.
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Postby jdidds » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:59 am

Off topic. Writing forum posts using a mobile phone browser us completly frustrating!
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:06 am

EltanimRas wrote:
RiderOnTheStorm wrote:If you want to gossip, gossip. If you don't want to gossip, you don't need imaginary npcs to do it for you or for you to hide behind.

Sometimes the player posting doesn't 'want to gossip'. He wants to give off-peak characters an IC way to learn that the town gate was flattened by trolls, because, logically, it makes no sense for them to spend days trying to figure out what the heck happened to the gate.

It should be common knowledge, regardless of the personality of any given PC.

ETA, more usefully: Using Color in Board Posts, etc.

Nothing is stopping them doing that currently, AFAIK. If you aren't being silly, I don't think anybody cares if you post 'Joe the Cooper was talking about the orc attack last night---!'
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby EltanimRas » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:08 am

EltanimRas wrote:ETA, more usefully: Using Color in Board Posts, etc.

On second thought, let me paste the whole thing, just in case.

Chrjo12 wrote:Posted on behalf of pof Alex. This is super cool/helpful.
-----------------------------------------------

So, uh, I've been asked about this oocly and figured I may as well toss it up here. If any admin would be so kind as to do like a HELP COLOR file, that would be excellent.

Colors can be used in the writing buffer. That applies to anything that uses a buffer (I think, anyway, so like IC journals in databooks, etc. can be colored) but is most pertinent to newsposts. Sadly, they can't be used to color regular emotes.

To use a color once inside the writing buffer, you append it with # and follow it with a single digit. 1-5 are going to be the most useful.

#1 dark red
#2 dark green (used for objects)
#3 dark yellow/brown
#4 dark blue
#5 dark violet (used for people)
#6 dark cyan (used for speech)

#0 puts you back to neutral white.

To use color codes in the buffer, just prefix the color code right before the relevant phrase. Example time!

You want to write this:
Some guy is hanging out here. He tells you, "Something amazing happened!"

And you want to color it like this:
Some guy is hanging out here. He tells you, "Something amazing happened!"

You would write this in your buffer:
#5Some guy #0is hanging out here. #5He #0tells #5you#0, #6"Something amazing happened!"#0

Simple, right?
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby Rivean » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:13 am

RiderOnTheStorm wrote:Nothing is stopping them doing that currently, AFAIK. If you aren't being silly, I don't think anybody cares if you post 'Joe the Cooper was talking about the orc attack last night---!'

Le sigh.

There is a significant difference between A:

"Two tired looking patrons sit here discussing attack that came suddenly the night before. Overhearing their discussion, it's learned that three men were lost, one of them a guard, and the gate has suffered severe structural damage."

And B:

"A redheaded redhead was here and said,

Two tired looking patrons sit here discussing attack that came suddenly the night before. Overhearing their discussion, it's learned that three men were lost, one of them a guard, and the gate has suffered severe structural damage."

Now, plainly the difference doesn't matter to you, and that's perfectly fine - but please allow that not everybody shares your preferences. The other posters in this thread plainly do not.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login