It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:31 pm
Change font size
Forum Home Public Crafts

Crafts

Where does coopering come from?

Suggest crafts, talk about existing crafts, debate the finer points of your craftiness.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Where does coopering come from?

Postby WildGiller » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:30 am

Do you have to pick a specific skill in chargen or how does this crafting skill come about? I've seen barrel pieces lying about but is this a metal-work + wood-work craft or?
WildGiller
Honored Dwarf

Re: Where does coopering come from?

Postby toofast » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:42 pm

I believe it's under woodcraft.
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby EltanimRas » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:23 pm

I don't know how it works nowadays, but the old game had separate metal and woodworking crafts. Metal for the hoops, I think, and woodworking for the rest.

ETA: This matched up nicely with real life, of course, since two people with complementary skillsets could work together.
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby WildGiller » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:38 am

The barrel-staves craft does not appear to be a 'teachable' craft for whatever reason.
Is there some kind of pre-requistite to branch or learn it?
I'm Adroit level woodcrafting.

It also seems like I no longer branch unless my crafting timer is at 0 hours. I've seen my crafting skill go up, over a three RL day period I obtained a verbal increase. But no branched crafts (and I know there are some available)

As soon as my craft timer ran down to 0 (I waited on a suspicion that was affecting it as I was letting myself carry a balance of between 4-8 hours) I instantly learned a new craft. Is that how it works now?
WildGiller
Honored Dwarf

Postby Snapdragon » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:29 am

WildGiller wrote: It also seems like I no longer branch unless my crafting timer is at 0 hours. I've seen my crafting skill go up, over a three RL day period I obtained a verbal increase. But no branched crafts (and I know there are some available)

As soon as my craft timer ran down to 0 (I waited on a suspicion that was affecting it as I was letting myself carry a balance of between 4-8 hours) I instantly learned a new craft. Is that how it works now?

I've actually noticed this as well. I was brancing with some regularity and then I had to do a couple of fairly heavy timer-related work load and I couldn't branch to save my life. However, once I let that timer go to zero, I branched on the first craft I attempted. Is this how it works? Or is this just a bug.
Snapdragon
Dwarf Recruit

Postby soiacc » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:38 am

I think branching is relatively random. Sometimes I can feel when I'm going to branch and other times it seems to take forever.

ETA:Doing crafts where the required skill level is colored blue, usually below your current skill level, won't raise your skill levels. It has to be white.
soiacc
Honored Dwarf

Postby WildGiller » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:53 pm

My major concern was that the barrel-staves craft craft cannot be 'taught' like other crafts to another woodworker?

I'm unsure why that is and that's why I was asking if there was some kind of pre-req to learn coopering crafts?

As far as the branching thing, I'm going to test it some more, try to craft with my timer running for a while in the skills I know that I have yet to branch everything and see if I can branch something when it's not at zero. I haven't been able to do so yet.
WildGiller
Honored Dwarf

Postby Nailah » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:26 pm

I'll look into this. The metal bands are craftable via blacksmithing. The barrel making should be primarily wood and banding with the blacksmith items, though. I think the opening craft requirements may be stunting who can and can't have coopering.

I'll let you know when I test and ask.
Nailah
Honored Dwarf

Postby Nailah » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:12 pm

The opening craft for the coopering set now just requires woodcraft. It had metalcraft as an additional opening skill by mistake. On swap and reboot, it should pop under woodcrafter lists, let me know if it doesn't!
Nailah
Honored Dwarf

Return to Crafts

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login