It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:45 pm
Change font size
Forum Home Public Crafts

Crafts

Removing/ignoring copse

Suggest crafts, talk about existing crafts, debate the finer points of your craftiness.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Removing/ignoring copse

Postby tehkory » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:42 pm

Could we have a craft to specifically just remove the first copse in the room? This way lumberjacks can get at the delicious ironwood buried under 5 copses of maple, oak, and etc.?
tehkory
Master Ent

Re: Removing/ignoring copse

Postby Tiamat » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:23 pm

Not really possible. However, I'd be open for suggestions on how to better approach the whole lumberjacking experience. Foraging for copses is kinda eh.
Tiamat
Honored Elf

Postby Onasaki » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:20 pm

Make the copses fade after a certain amount of time, is all I got for this. Unless they already do that, in which case, make the timer a little shorter.

Or allow us to target specific copses in general. That might require extra crafts though.

One pattern I've begun to notice, is that you guys seem to be wanting to make the crafts simpler and easier to manage, such as removing all the extra hilts, blades, and the like from weapon-craft. It makes branching easier, but cuts out the customization of weapon crafting and making every item effectively the same item just with better stats.

Everything can't be simple, and cutting corners eventually will drive the playerbase away, or drive people insane, in my personal opinion.

However, it's not place to say as I'm not a craft-maker, or a coder.

Another idea for the copse problem, is make copses disappear after you get a log from it, or X number of logs. To give the illusion that you cut down all the good trees from that particular copse.
I have two forces by my side
One's the truth and one's a lie
Which one's which I cannot tell
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Postby tehkory » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:33 pm

Tiamat wrote:Not really possible. However, I'd be open for suggestions on how to better approach the whole lumberjacking experience. Foraging for copses is kinda eh.

Code: Select all
General-outdoors: ignore found-copse
Usable During: Summer Spring
Phase 1:  20 seconds
Held or in Room (Consumed): a copse of crabapple trees, a copse
of birch trees, a copse of beech trees, a copse of wild cherry trees,
a copse of whitebeam trees, a copse of elm trees, a copse of ash
trees, a copse of blackthorn trees, a copse of hawthorn trees, a
copse of hornbeam trees, a copse of willow trees, a copse of maple
trees, a copse of poplar trees, a copse of black alder trees, a
copse of oak trees, a copse of rowan trees, a copse of yew trees, a
copse of ironwood trees, a copse of horse chestnut trees, a copse of
large-leaf linden trees, a copse of hazel trees, a copse of willow
trees, a copse of maple trees, a copse of poplar trees, a copse of
black alder trees, a copse of oak trees, a copse of rowan trees, a
copse of yew trees, a copse of ironwood trees, a copse of horse
chestnut trees, a copse of large-leaf linden trees, or a copse of hazel
trees.

No?
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Tiamat » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:53 pm

That's a pretty crude way of doing it, and isn't "ignoring" a copse, which is what I thought you were suggesting. Ignoring a copse would be impossible, because crafts select the first instance of that required object in a room/yourself. You can absolutely eat copses like this, permanently, until you get to the copse you want. It gets what you want done, certainly.
Tiamat
Honored Elf

Postby Tiamat » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:58 pm

Onasaki wrote:Make the copses fade after a certain amount of time, is all I got for this. Unless they already do that, in which case, make the timer a little shorter.

Or allow us to target specific copses in general. That might require extra crafts though.

One pattern I've begun to notice, is that you guys seem to be wanting to make the crafts simpler and easier to manage, such as removing all the extra hilts, blades, and the like from weapon-craft. It makes branching easier, but cuts out the customization of weapon crafting and making every item effectively the same item just with better stats.

It's an ALPHA. I'd err on the side of simplicity rather than complexity in a game where we're still filling out craft suites. The complexity has also been a nightmare for Staff. It's not a bad idea, but currently there's not many ways to "customize" a weapon other than affecting durability, weight, and the damage bonus on a weapon (weapons roll damage based on dice). Other than that, it's just looks. I might see if I can set a weapon object to be decoratable with a craft, so our would-be weaponcrafter-artists can decorate their weapons.

The complexity you were talking about was very linear, as well. Banded hafts do more damage. Shorter/longer hafts make the weapon one-handed or two-handed. You get the same result now, but a bit more streamlined than before.

Onasaki wrote:Another idea for the copse problem, is make copses disappear after you get a log from it, or X number of logs. To give the illusion that you cut down all the good trees from that particular copse.

I think we could make copses last a shorter amount of time before disappearing.
Tiamat
Honored Elf

Return to Crafts

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login