It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:27 am
Change font size
Forum Home Public Orcs

Orcs

Going AFK and Logging Out

All things yrkin. A place for Staff and players alike to use this space to coordinate RPTs and in-game events. Please keep in-character information off of this board.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Going AFK and Logging Out

Postby MarcusSaint » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:35 pm

Is there an IC phrase we can use for logging out?

Maybe it could be some standard duty that everyone has to pull from time to time, like guard duty or mucking the pit or something. Something that allows us to stay IC while we let everyone know that we have to log out.

I hate saying IC'ly that I need to take a piss or get some food, just to be told IC'ly to hurry back. I don't want the leader of the group or RP facilitator to think that my character is coming back. So how do we relate that without breaking immersion?

Thanks!!

Second part to this question is what about going AFK. I have kids and there are times that I have to go AFK for a bit, whether it's to open a jar of peanut butter, change a diaper, answer the door, apply a band-aid, whatever. Is there some acceptable IC excuse to let others know that we're going AFK for a bit?

Again, thanks!
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese!!
MarcusSaint
Forum Hobbit

Re: Going AFK and Logging Out

Postby radioactivejesus » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:51 pm

MarcusSaint wrote:Is there an IC phrase we can use for logging out?

Maybe it could be some standard duty that everyone has to pull from time to time, like guard duty or mucking the pit or something. Something that allows us to stay IC while we let everyone know that we have to log out.

I hate saying IC'ly that I need to take a piss or get some food, just to be told IC'ly to hurry back. I don't want the leader of the group or RP facilitator to think that my character is coming back. So how do we relate that without breaking immersion?

Thanks!!

I think this is a good thing to bring up. ICly, your leader would likely come down hard on anyone he viewed as slacking off or otherwise deserting their posts.. But OOCly, rl things pull players away all the time and it's fine if you have to abruptly head off to handle them, life comes before the game.
Ghurlog is a prominent npc in the Vadok's history, but codedly doesn't do much but sit around and open lots of doors. I think if a combat pc had to quit out due to ooc reasons, saying 'Ghurlog wants me fer battle training, Ghurlog wants me as warg fodder for a crew he's leading out' or something like that, would do the trick for getting the message across that your pc isn't just lazy
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby Justanothacivy » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:32 pm

I feel that using the ooc command for trying to get across that you need to be away from keys and an expected duration was the entire reason it's there, besides syntax questions.

What it is not for is OOC chatter hue hue hue memes. I havn't seen very much of this in game though and I applaud folks for resisting the urge when it gets slow.

Perhaps there could be less of an issue with breaking immersion especially when the command is being used correctly. IC jargon is -great- for saying you need to log off or will be AFK but lets not give the impression to new players that they should be afraid to ask OOC'ly.
Things that made me smile:
Icarus wrote:I'm going to kill the next character I see doing stuff like that. I'm not joking.
Justanothacivy
Honored Dwarf

Postby Raukran » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:51 pm

I just use the BRB or AFK command. In my eyes it's the least jarring and immersion breaking. I usually show me coming back to the keyboard by RP or taking actions again. In most of my experiences, players will even go as far as to guard you in these instances, just so you're not caught off guard and die while AFK.
I am not responsible for the actions of my characters.
Raukran
Unverified User

Postby Icarus » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:51 pm

Gatewatch duty.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby krelm » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:29 pm

I usually just say "I have shit to do," or, "I'm going to sleep," and log off. Part of me expects other players to realize that I probably have something going on IRL-wise that's preventing me from playing. Personally, whenever I'm playing a clanlead or what-have-you, if I call for a patrol and someone says they can't go, I don't even ask for an IC excuse, because I realize that shit happens.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby EltanimRas » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:25 pm

krelm wrote:Personally, whenever I'm playing a clanlead or what-have-you, if I call for a patrol and someone says they can't go, I don't even ask for an IC excuse, because I realize that shit happens.

Just out of curiosity, roughly how long is a typical patrol, OOCly speaking? How much time should a player expect to have available before they say yes to one?
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby radioactivejesus » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:26 pm

EltanimRas wrote:
krelm wrote:Personally, whenever I'm playing a clanlead or what-have-you, if I call for a patrol and someone says they can't go, I don't even ask for an IC excuse, because I realize that shit happens.

Just out of curiosity, roughly how long is a typical patrol, OOCly speaking? How much time should a player expect to have available before they say yes to one?

honestly I've never thought to time one... I will get back to you on this, as it's probably pretty important info
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby krelm » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:27 pm

If it's me leading it, it depends on what I'm planning on doing. Gathering materials and stuff usually doesn't take more than an hour and a half, two or so if we have to go far for it.

If we're going to do something specific, like kill humans or do some sort of RPT, I'd say anywhere between 3-5 hours, just depending.

But that's just me. I have a habit of getting too immersed and losing track of time, if I have nothing to keep me from stopping.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Return to Orcs

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login