It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:52 pm
Change font size
Forum Home Public Orcs

Orcs

Orcish Sphere Declining?

All things yrkin. A place for Staff and players alike to use this space to coordinate RPTs and in-game events. Please keep in-character information off of this board.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Orcish Sphere Declining?

Postby Onasaki » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:46 pm

It's a slow decline, but it's noticeable. I've begun to feel like there aren't as many orcs playing as there were when we first started.

This could be due to a number of reasons, be it people dying, or getting frustrated, and just disappearing entirely.

We just had a small RPT, and only a handful of orcs managed to show up. And I want to know why, and what we can do as a sphere to better our numbers and get people to stick around more often.

Now, I'm going to request that there are no snarky comments be made. I want serious answers, and serious requests as to how to make the Orcish sphere more befitting and interesting.

What could we as a sphere due, to better us and have people stick around more?
I have two forces by my side
One's the truth and one's a lie
Which one's which I cannot tell
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Re: Orcish Sphere Declining?

Postby krelm » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:05 pm

Orcs have never had a very large PB to start with. This is probably the most orcs I've ever seen playing in SoI's history, other than early early Morgul, circa 2005, 2006.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby Icarus » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:14 pm

I actually watched the RPT, and was quite pleased with the numbers :) Tuesday night, after all.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Onasaki » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:24 pm

It still worries me though, a little bit.

I'd like to figure out what else we can do besides, you know, hunting, killing, building, and hitting each-other. XD
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Postby krelm » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:26 pm

At this point? Nothing. It's something I've put more than a little thought into over the past couple of weeks.

EDIT:

I mean it'd probably help if there were plots and stuff, but as it stands the only two orkish RPAs are on vacation.
Last edited by krelm on Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One among the fence.
krelm

Postby BoogtehWoog » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:26 pm

I cannot speak to your dilemma as I have not been in the Orc sphere; however, it is the way of things. People die and they shift spheres. So Utterby might have a mass of new players right now and that could persist until a crop dies and moves over to the Orc sphere. And then things will be right as rain. :)
BoogtehWoog
Elf Recruit

Postby toofast » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:31 pm

I wasn't enjoying the staff interaction orc side, so I rolled human. (staff rezzing dead orcs, etc)

Sounds like the majority of the players who left the orc sphere are ex-Axes, who I recall the OP complaining about via the forums, so I don't see the big deal.
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby WorkerDrone » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:35 pm

Seeing people complain about boat rockers and then complain when the boat rockers leave isn't anything new around here.
I hope you die right now, will you drink my chemical?

Brian wrote:See, the thing that I admire about WorkerDrone is that he's an optimist!

:lol:
WorkerDrone
Guide

Postby Onasaki » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:54 pm

I specifically asked for no snarky comments, and some serious you know, ideas.

If you're not going to offer anything constructive, please don't post. And for the record, it was only /one/ orc that was rezzed in an isolated instance, that has since, been resolved, I'd thank you for not bringing it up again.
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Postby WorkerDrone » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:56 pm

Make a compelling, non-passive action while IG. Don't let NPCs dictate your motives. Expect nothing to happen if you stand still and wait for it. Create goals and then ask for support in bringing about their final stages after the fact.

You don't seem to realize that I'm not posting for no reason, but let me clarify that the lack of people shaking things up is a significant issue with "the seeming decline" of any sphere anywhere.

For my part, I think the orc sphere is going to be fine, it's a niche kind of thing already, if people don't come back, then it's probably not for lack of your guys' trying.

Brian wrote:See, the thing that I admire about WorkerDrone is that he's an optimist!

WorkerDrone
Guide

Postby Onasaki » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:05 pm

WorkerDrone wrote:Make a compelling, non-passive action while IG. Don't let NPCs dictate your motives. Expect nothing to happen if you stand still and wait for it. Create goals and then ask for support in bringing about their final stages after the fact.

You don't seem to realize that I'm not posting for no reason, but let me clarify that the lack of people shaking things up is a significant issue with "the seeming decline" of any sphere anywhere.

For my part, I think the orc sphere is going to be fine, it's a niche kind of thing already, if people don't come back, then it's probably not for lack of your guys' trying.

Oh I wasn't referring to your comments, they're quite welcome.
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Postby toofast » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:09 pm

Onasaki wrote:I specifically asked for no snarky comments, and some serious you know, ideas.

If you're not going to offer anything constructive, please don't post. And for the record, it was only /one/ orc that was rezzed in an isolated instance, that has since, been resolved, I'd thank you for not bringing it up again.

I'll bring it up as much as I like, haha. I'd appreciate if you weren't so passive aggressive. I said 'orcs' because I didn't want to name names, when I could explicitly go after jme and his characters in the orc sphere, considering that I have logs of the incident.

I feel like the reason for players leaving the orc sphere is fairly obvious; deaths and a desire to try out the other sphere. A change of environment, if you will. Solutions to gain more players? I don't think there will ever be as many players in the orc sphere as there was in the weeks following launch, but I suppose that some humans may die and consider going back to the orcs or trying them out. There's not much that can be done, considering a bit of recent inactivity staff-side and the fact that the game is still young and very alpha.

I don't think I've ever seen a thread like this sprout fresh, new ideas to gain players and keep old players. It seems to be an established routine; be interesting and make things happen.
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby WorkerDrone » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:22 pm

toofastnig wrote:I don't think I've ever seen a thread like this sprout fresh, new ideas to gain players and keep old players. It seems to be an established routine; be interesting and make things happen.

Okay I know a lot of people are going to complain when Zerero says something, anything, in general, but this is a good takeaway regardless, especially that last part. Definitely focus most of your energy IG on making stuff happen. Having the simplest desires and goals and trying to make them happen goes a long way.

WorkerDrone
Guide

Postby Matt » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:36 pm

I'm on my phone so its going to be brief. I left the orc sphere because I personally didn't like how it was being run staff side. It was way to controlled and micro managed for my taste, for orcs at least. The rezz like to fast said was the last straw for me so I happened to die and roll human. Which has been pretty damn fun for me so far.

In an orc sphere I don't want npcs coming in telling me which PC is in charge. I don't want admin micro management to the point in game rules are being enforced on an ooc level.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby radioactivejesus » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:53 pm

Icarus wrote:So, for the sake of sanity, let's chalk this one up to some oddness on the part of the IMMs and move on with our lives.

I have reinforced the no-rez policy upstairs.

guys, it was a single mess-up by a staff member who wasn't on the same page as the others. It definitely was a big mess up, but hardly a reason to completely give up a sphere. I imagine the guy who gave the rez got chewed out pretty hard over it behind the scenes
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby krelm » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:00 am

Have to agree with Matt on the micromanaging part. That big thread I started about my personal discontent was part of the reason the sphere rubbed me the wrong way. One admin would say one thing, another admin would say something totally contradictory. The rules on PK were too harsh, and enforced on an OOC level by an apparently omnipotent NPC. No one could seem to figure out how many vNPCs there were-- when I was with the one orkish clan, it was "around twenty," but when I wasn't with the orkish clan, it was "hundreds." (I have the logs to back this up.)

Getting told different things by different people and being micromanaged to an absurd level was what made me roll human. I won't stay human, certainly, but it's refreshing to be able to do whatever the hell I want to do without having an admin breathing down my neck.

EDIT:

Let me rephrase: The rules on PK weren't "too harsh," per se. If you kill a guy and that guy has friends you absolutely deserve to die. The rules were "too harsh," in that no matter who you killed, or where, or why, or whether anyone liked him or not, you got screwed for it by the big bad NPC who saw absolutely everything that happened no matter if it was in the next room or deep in the forest.
One among the fence.
krelm

Postby Onasaki » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:08 am

This entire thread is getting out of hand. I didn't make it so people could sit here and complain about what's wrong with the orc sphere.

But come up with ideas of how to make it better.

I highly doubt it's much different human-side. You still have Imm-run NPCs who manage who gets what position for specific clans, so I think that argument is invalid.

EDIT to state:

There was a board post specifically stating what transpired, when that particular character was beaten to 'near death'. I can easily pull it up, if people want to continue beating a dead horse. So it wasn't an 'omnipotent npc'.
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Postby toofast » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:20 am

Onasaki wrote:There was a board post specifically stating what transpired, when that particular character was beaten to 'near death'. I can easily pull it up, if people want to continue beating a dead horse. So it wasn't an 'omnipotent npc'.

Wait, are you still talking about the rezzed char? Because I can literally paste you logs of me and another char chopping said rezzed char up with a sword and battleaxes.

You expressed concern and curiosity as to why people were leaving the sphere and you've received responses to both sides of your question.
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby Onasaki » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:24 am

toofastnig wrote:
Onasaki wrote:There was a board post specifically stating what transpired, when that particular character was beaten to 'near death'. I can easily pull it up, if people want to continue beating a dead horse. So it wasn't an 'omnipotent npc'.

Wait, are you still talking about the rezzed char? Because I can literally paste you logs of me and another char chopping said rezzed char up with a sword and battleaxes.

You expressed concern and curiosity as to why people were leaving the sphere and you've received responses to both sides of your question.

And I can literally paste the log of the board post that specifically states he was beaten to near death. Post-Rez. I'm not denying he was rezzed. I'm denying the fact that Striza 'magically saw' it happen, which some people are implying.

It was a mess. Plain and simple.
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Postby toofast » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:31 am

Striza did magically see what happened. I don't see why you think a board post gives you further insight on the situation than anyone else and I don't see why you're beating a dead horse. You asked why people left the sphere, I cited a specific example of the staff's actions that I disagreed with and was an influencing factor in me leaving. Yes, it was a fluke. Yes, it has been resolved. That doesn't change the fact that I'm having a pretty good time over here in the human sphere.

But to make you happy, I shouldn't need to bring it up anymore. Have a cheese bun, bud. :nom: :nom:
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby krelm » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:43 am

This entire thread is getting out of hand. I didn't make it so people could sit here and complain about what's wrong with the orc sphere.

To think of ways to make something better, you have to address what's wrong with it. I stated what made me, personally, leave the orc sphere. If those things were reversed, or if those things had not happened, I'd most likely still be playing an orc, as would, most likely, half a dozen people.

When I mentioned "an NPC who magically saw everything," I wasn't speaking of Toofast and his PK, or the subsequent rez. I was talking about half a dozen other, separate instances where something happened that Striza could not have possibly had any knowledge about, and yet he did. I wasn't there for the rez, but I was there for all the other times something similar happened.

I highly doubt it's much different human-side.

This is, in fact, not the case. It is much different human-side. Sure, there's still an admin-ran NPC who makes decisions, but as I mentioned above, no one is breathing down anyone's neck on a constant basis. The head of the Guard doesn't walk into a room and magically know everything that happened five miles outside of town (an exaggeration, but an apt one).

In summation:
1. The orc sphere has always had few numbers. I remember times when it dipped as low as 5 PCs. You just have to bear through it like a man.
2. You can't go around proclaiming that everything is perfectly fine within the sphere while asking how to make it better. If everything was fine, no one would have left, and this thread would have never happened.
Last edited by krelm on Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
One among the fence.
krelm

Postby Rivean » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:44 am

Onasaki wrote:This entire thread is getting out of hand. I didn't make it so people could sit here and complain about what's wrong with the orc sphere.

Not that I [ever] play(ed) an orc, but let me just note that people stating reasons for unhappiness and moving to other spheres pertains directly to the question of what's wrong and what needs to be made better.

Incidentally, slightly off-topic, I have in on excellent authority (an authority who kind of plays an orc and shamelessly watches over my shoulder while I play my human) that the baseline RP is better in the orc sphere. They come out about even on average though, Utterby's top is better/more diverse.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby Rivean » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:47 am

krelm wrote:When I mentioned "an NPC who magically saw everything," I wasn't speaking of Toofast and his PK, or the subsequent rez. I was talking about half a dozen other, separate instances where something happened that Striza could not have possibly had any knowledge about, and yet he did. I wasn't there for the rez, but I was there for all the other times something similar happened.

I cannot put into words how incredibly upsetting and frustrating such an experience would be for me if it happened to me - I would most likely quit the game.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby krelm » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:01 am

Just for the record, "half a dozen" was similarly an exaggeration. It was more like 3 times.
One among the fence.
krelm

Postby EltanimRas » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:02 am

Onasaki wrote:I highly doubt it's much different human-side. You still have Imm-run NPCs who manage who gets what position for specific clans, so I think that argument is invalid.

I think it's a lot easier to play a true indie human-side. There might be NPC authority over the town, but your mayor isn't exactly your boss.

krelm wrote:

To think of ways to make something better, you have to address what's wrong with it.

If 'what's wrong with it' is that past events were mis-handled staffside, then the way to make it better is probably just by giving it time, letting it settle, and letting players see that policy has changed and/or been reiterated as necessary.

This thread is probably more productively focused on what players can best do meanwhile, as, for example, in WorkerDrone's posts.
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Next

Return to Orcs

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login