It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:51 am
Change font size
Forum Home Public Crafts

Crafts

Bog Iron

Suggest crafts, talk about existing crafts, debate the finer points of your craftiness.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Bog Iron

Postby AdamBlue » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:10 pm

Bog Iron shouldn't be an adroit skillcheck. That is dumb.

That is all.
User avatar
AdamBlue
Dwarf Recruit
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:01 am

Re: Bog Iron

Postby radioactivejesus » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:02 pm

agree that the system for foraging iron could use some work, assuming it is really this difficult and I just haven't found a way to game the system yet. Requiring an adroit skilled forager to get bog iron means that only long term players will have the ability to bring back metal, which means ingots will be too rare a commodity to waste on new crafters, making them feel useless.
I'd suggest a forage table like this;

common (amateur) a tiny chunk of bog iron
uncommon (familiar) a medium chunk of bog iron
rare (adroit) a large chunk of bog iron

with medium chunks of bog iron being equal to what we have now, and large chunks perhaps giving enough for an ingot on their own.
This way new players with the forage skill can still have a good shot at getting iron, while there's a big incentive to improve to get at the larger chunks.
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
User avatar
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling
 
Posts: 463
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:39 pm

Re: Bog Iron

Postby tehkory » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:06 pm

AdamBlue wrote:Bog Iron shouldn't be an adroit skillcheck. That is dumb.

That is all.

It's a talented skillcheck in some, if not all, areas. Which you can achieve with ~5 days of playtime without trying, if you start with it. Really probably more like ~1-2, if you are trying.
tehkory
Master Ent
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: Bog Iron

Postby MrT2G » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:16 pm

My opinion is that metal should be rare.
A curvy, copper-haired woman drops a small, strawberry-blonde toddler girl.
MrT2G
Elf Recruit
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:11 pm

Re: Bog Iron

Postby Hazgarn » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:18 pm

Is this about finding bog iron as a forager or about the recently added ability to refine pitted bog iron ingots into more refined bog iron ingots? I'm confused. I thought it was the latter.
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

I am also a Guide. Feel free to contact me through AIM or PM with questions about the game.
User avatar
Hazgarn
Cartographer
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 9:35 am
Location: Sacramento, Ca

Re: Bog Iron

Postby Onasaki » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:27 pm

Hazgarn wrote:Is this about finding bog iron as a forager or about the recently added ability to refine pitted bog iron ingots into more refined bog iron ingots? I'm confused. I thought it was the latter.


It's about foraging it.
I have two forces by my side
One's the truth and one's a lie
Which one's which I cannot tell
This enigma is my hell


Image
User avatar
Onasaki
Honored Elf
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 12:03 pm
Location: Everywhere.

Re: Bog Iron

Postby radioactivejesus » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:31 pm

MrT2G wrote:My opinion is that metal should be rare.

my opinion is that good iron should be rare. Shitty iron should be plentiful as it's needed for new characters. Nobody likes rolling up as Bob the metalworker, only to never get allowed to use the skill even once due to Jim the metalworker having 20 days playtime and not having enough iron to spare on helping Bob level up out of his newbie crafts.
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
User avatar
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling
 
Posts: 463
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:39 pm

Re: Bog Iron

Postby MrT2G » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:44 pm

I agree this is a potential issue.

However, it is fine line between this and encouraging a manufacturing line. New metalsmiths make ingots and other simple crafts, that the more experienced metalsmiths then use for their more difficult crafts.

In the long run, if crappy iron is abundant then via the refine crafts so will high quality metal.
A curvy, copper-haired woman drops a small, strawberry-blonde toddler girl.
MrT2G
Elf Recruit
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:11 pm

Re: Bog Iron

Postby Onasaki » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:48 pm

MrT2G wrote:I agree this is a potential issue.

However, it is fine line between this and encouraging a manufacturing line. New metalsmiths make ingots and other simple crafts, that the more experienced metalsmiths then use for their more difficult crafts.

In the long run, if crappy iron is abundant then via the refine crafts so will high quality metal.


You can't encourage a manufacturing line, if you can't get the raw materials to make it.

What's being said here is that, the pitted iron should be more plentiful in forage. So it can be turned into ingots, then refined, or used.

Refine was bugged, so it was taken out, for now.
I have two forces by my side
One's the truth and one's a lie
Which one's which I cannot tell
This enigma is my hell


Image
User avatar
Onasaki
Honored Elf
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 12:03 pm
Location: Everywhere.

Re: Bog Iron

Postby WorkerDrone » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:46 pm

Simple rebalancing can easily solve the whole, "Hur durr, if we give people the ability to get shitty iron, they'll just monopolize refined iron". Take the refinement crafts out and introduce importation of refined metal instead. Let crafters craft.
I hope you die right now, will you drink my chemical?

Brian wrote:See, the thing that I admire about WorkerDrone is that he's an optimist!

:lol:
User avatar
WorkerDrone
Guide
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:59 pm
Location: From Dust

Re: Bog Iron

Postby MrT2G » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:27 pm

tehkory wrote:
AdamBlue wrote:Bog Iron shouldn't be an adroit skillcheck. That is dumb.

That is all.

It's a talented skillcheck in some, if not all, areas.


This is wrong.
A curvy, copper-haired woman drops a small, strawberry-blonde toddler girl.
MrT2G
Elf Recruit
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:11 pm

Re: Bog Iron

Postby Onasaki » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:10 pm

MrT2G wrote:
tehkory wrote:
AdamBlue wrote:Bog Iron shouldn't be an adroit skillcheck. That is dumb.

That is all.

It's a talented skillcheck in some, if not all, areas.


This is wrong.


Agreed. It is /way/ too hard to get iron.
I have two forces by my side
One's the truth and one's a lie
Which one's which I cannot tell
This enigma is my hell


Image
User avatar
Onasaki
Honored Elf
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 12:03 pm
Location: Everywhere.

Re: Bog Iron

Postby Matt » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:13 pm

I have to disagree completely. I've seen multiple patrols bring back 7-8 ingots worth of ore on single trips since it was changed to forage only. Just need a good forager and some muscle.
Matt
Ent Sapling
 
Posts: 533
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:47 pm

Re: Bog Iron

Postby MrT2G » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:15 pm

Matt wrote:I have to disagree completely. I've seen multiple patrols bring back 7-8 ingots worth of ore on single trips since it was changed to forage only. Just need a good forager and some muscle.


Maybe it is the competitive nature of the resource then but it has yet to show up for a Talented forager.
A curvy, copper-haired woman drops a small, strawberry-blonde toddler girl.
MrT2G
Elf Recruit
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:11 pm

Re: Bog Iron

Postby Matt » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:01 am

MrT2G wrote:
Matt wrote:I have to disagree completely. I've seen multiple patrols bring back 7-8 ingots worth of ore on single trips since it was changed to forage only. Just need a good forager and some muscle.


Maybe it is the competitive nature of the resource then but it has yet to show up for a Talented forager.


Getting close there bud! :) New levels of foraging stuff show up every two skill levels. So fam, adroit, heroic.
Matt
Ent Sapling
 
Posts: 533
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:47 pm

Re: Bog Iron

Postby tehkory » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:47 pm

MrT2G wrote:
tehkory wrote:
AdamBlue wrote:Bog Iron shouldn't be an adroit skillcheck. That is dumb.

That is all.

It's a talented skillcheck in some, if not all, areas.


This is wrong.


No, alas, it's not wrong. Unless my character(with talented forage) is magicalawesome, there are many rooms(at least 6-9 rooms worth) of bog iron available at that level, not even counting what you could find with adroit.
tehkory
Master Ent
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:21 pm


Return to Crafts

cron

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login

Who is online

Very smart users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Login