It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:28 pm
Change font size

Out of Character Chatter

Random SOI Thoughts

Want to hang out and have a friendly, off-topic discussion with your fellow players and the staff? This is the place to do it.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: Random SOI Thoughts

Postby WildGiller » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:59 pm

MUD goes down. Get work done in record time.
Decides to play BeerMUD while waiting.

>open bottled-heineken
>Drink beer all
>junk empty
>open bottled-heineken
>Drink beer all
>junk empty
>open bottled-heineken
>Drink beer all
>junk empty

..Is now too drunk to play when it comes back probably =\

(Is also concerned that is now conceptualizing my actions in terms of coded commands..)
WildGiller
Honored Dwarf

Postby Hawkwind » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:48 am

WildGiller wrote:(Is also concerned that is now conceptualizing my actions in terms of coded commands..)

That happens, it gets weirder when you say them aloud.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby jdidds » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:17 am

*lifts his head groggily from the bar* *groan* How much did I drink last night?

Logged on totally butt naked.
Code: Select all
There is currently 1 soul braving the world all alone.
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Postby MrDvAnt » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:17 pm

People keep reviewing my character app and not approving or rejecting it. It keeps getting my hopes up and then dashing them.
MrDvAnt
Honored Elf

Postby miracleed » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:57 pm

there.
miracleed
Forum Hobbit

Postby Hazgarn » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:00 pm

MrDvAnt wrote:People keep reviewing my character app and not approving or rejecting it. It keeps getting my hopes up and then dashing them.

Failure at multitasking was the main culprit on my part. Sometimes you open an app only to get drawn into having to focus on something else (like company showing up for the 4th...), and it's better to just pass the app along for someone else who has more time than leave it open so that no one else knows to take a look at it.

Apologies. :/
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

I am also a Guide. Feel free to contact me through AIM or PM with questions about the game.
Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby MrDvAnt » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:23 pm

Hazgarn wrote:
MrDvAnt wrote:People keep reviewing my character app and not approving or rejecting it. It keeps getting my hopes up and then dashing them.

Failure at multitasking was the main culprit on my part. Sometimes you open an app only to get drawn into having to focus on something else (like company showing up for the 4th...), and it's better to just pass the app along for someone else who has more time than leave it open so that no one else knows to take a look at it.

Apologies. :/

lol, it's alright. I'm the boring guy playing games on the 4th. :p
MrDvAnt
Honored Elf

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:22 am

How do you tell it's being reviewed, does it change the tag in the char stable?
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:11 am

We're closing in on a month, aren't we? Cue thread for the ten orc players who died on day one to talk about all the fond memories of their characters!
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby MrDvAnt » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:59 am

RiderOnTheStorm wrote:How do you tell it's being reviewed, does it change the tag in the char stable?

Yes. The tag that says stabled, submitted, etc will change to under review. Don't click on it. I did that once and apparently it kicks the reviewer out. :p
MrDvAnt
Honored Elf

Postby WildGiller » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:12 pm

Hawkwind wrote:
WildGiller wrote:(Is also concerned that is now conceptualizing my actions in terms of coded commands..)

That happens, it gets weirder when you say them aloud.

I already make my life choices based on things like, "Well an espresso will give me a temporary +10 to stamina.. but I'll be penalized at least a -5 to constitution on cool-down.. not sure of the debuff timer on that.."

I suppose it can't really get much worse.
WildGiller
Honored Dwarf

Postby MarcusSaint » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:51 pm

Glad I'm not the only one. :lol:
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese!!
MarcusSaint
Forum Hobbit

Postby soiacc » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:49 am

Is it so hard to stick to the Middle Earth setting for people? There are plenty of games where you can use modern words and phrases. It makes me feel like a grumpy old man when I have to rp around it. There are, surprisingly or not, a lot of websites that talk about what life in middle earth was probably like. I know some people may be new to roleplaying or the Middle Earth setting, but it's a little immersion breaking when people blatantly seem to ignore the setting or get icly upset when someone icly comments negatively about their comment/action. And just for you grey character types and to show I'm not an actual prude, there -were- brothels/prostitutes in Middle Earth, in Gondor and Arnor, at least, but I figure if they were there, then they were probably elsewhere, though they worked as seamstresses and the brothels were disguised as bathhouses.

Melwen (S."Lovemaiden" pl.Milwyn), also Sweetsinger and Nightsinger, originally was a common term in the Dúnadan Kingdoms of Arnor and Gondor to designate a female Minstrel and Dancer who was a learned entertainer and companion, however the term soon fell into disgrace and became a synonym for a mistress, courtesan and later an ordinary prostitute. Since prostitution was not allowed or at least not socially acceptable under the Dúnadan rule, sweetsingers often formally worked as seamstresses or in brothels disguised as bathhouses.
Sweetsingers usually recruited from the lowest and poorest classes of society and were usually common men, not of Dúnadan heritage. A few brothels however gained riches and reputation for service and discretion and some Milwyn were quite wealthy, although disrespected, citizens.

I bet I know what the next building project will be... The Utterby Bathhouse and Seamstress Training Acadamy. ;)
soiacc
Honored Dwarf

Postby EltanimRas » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:05 am

The Middle-earth Role Playing Wiki wrote:This Wiki will cover Expanded Middle-earth, the non-canonical subcreation made for Middle Earth Roleplaying (MERP), Questgame, Middle-Earth play-by-mail, Middle-Earth Collectible Card Game, Mithril Miniatures, as well as The Lord of the Rings Role-Playing Game, The One Ring - Roleplaying in Middle Earth, The Lord of the Rings Online and The Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game.

Just saying. I'm pretty sure prostitution existed (and was in many circles frowned upon), but I'm skeptical of this precise description. Do you have another source for it?
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby soiacc » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:12 am

Nope, that's where I got it from, but it seems at least like something that could have been true. :?

ETA:It was mostly added for humor, but I think, at least, this would be the general level of acceptance of brothels/prostitution/casual sex. People would know not to talk about it in public, unless in the agreed upon locations to maintain their reputations.
soiacc
Honored Dwarf

Postby EltanimRas » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:33 am

soiacc wrote:I think, at least, this would be the general level of acceptance of brothels/prostitution/casual sex.

Fair enough. I'm all for discretion; it was just the wiki etymology that I couldn't imagine in Tolkien's voice.

Sweetsingers.

... You know?
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby soiacc » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:22 am

Melwen (S."Lovemaiden" pl.Milwyn)
This term seems to at least be derived from a Sindarin term, if that's what the S. means, anyway.

Sindarin: Melethwen (Love-maiden). I found this, so maybe so.

Side note: Tolkien actually met and fell in love with his wife at 18, but cut off ties and waited until 21 to marry her to honor his guardian's (a Catholic priest named Father Morgan) edict that she was a distraction and that he couldn't see her again until his 21st birthday. Of course he also wrote to her the night of his birthday, confessing his love and asking her to marry him.
soiacc
Honored Dwarf

Postby EltanimRas » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:10 am

soiacc wrote:Sindarin: Melethwen (Love-maiden). I found this, so maybe so.

The words for 'love' and 'maiden' certainly existed. I just see the compound more likely as a name, something loosely equivalent to, say, the Japanese 'Aiko'.

That's just speculation on my part, though. ;)
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby WildGiller » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:08 am

I did write a up document called "Talking Tolkien" and it isn't on the wiki yet I don't think. Just a brief vocabulary help file geared for new players or those not familiar with the language style.

It could probably stand to be fleshed out, in regards to swearing and modern language substitutions in particular.

I'd be willing to take some suggestions on that to add in and see about asking our lovely wiki-madien Tiamat to post it.
WildGiller
Honored Dwarf

Postby Rivean » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:37 pm

So, here's a RL conversation from 10 minutes ago:

"I hear you want to practice your long-blade skill," someone says to me. "Let's go spar. In the privy."
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:08 pm

I don't think the privy actually exists, BTW. I see the 'outside the privy' room, but no privy.
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby Icarus » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:17 pm

That's because it goes invisible when two people are inside of it.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:19 pm

Icarus wrote:That's because it goes invisible when two people are inside of it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby ThinkTwice » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:04 am

Reading the forums makes me feel like I'm the only person who doesn't know who everyone else plays.

I'm fairly sure I'm wrong, but all this namecalling sure makes it feel that way, lol.
ThinkTwice
Honored Dwarf

Postby Letters » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:12 am

ThinkTwice wrote:Reading the forums makes me feel like I'm the only person who doesn't know who everyone else plays.

I'm fairly sure I'm wrong, but all this namecalling sure makes it feel that way, lol.

I know which character is yours.
A skeletal, pig-tailed-haired male teen says,
"Prepare to meet your doom, loping man. It is I, loitering person, your nemesis."
Letters
Elf Recruit

PreviousNext

Return to Out of Character Chatter

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login