It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:08 am
Change font size
Forum Home Public Crafts

Crafts

leatherworking and you

Suggest crafts, talk about existing crafts, debate the finer points of your craftiness.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: leatherworking and you

Postby WildGiller » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:02 am

EltanimRas wrote:Wait, you mean I shouldn't have been shunning those PCs with dog-leather satchels? o.O

Oh barge-newbies. Go ahead and shun those. No one cares about the barge-newbies. We feed them the rat/wolf meat until they've proven themselves worthy.

Snapdragon wrote:..And, you can't actually just look at a hide to find out what it came from.

Yes actually, you can. :D The $animaltype tag exists in the long description of the hides just like items made from them.

Code: Select all
This medium, black square of leather has been thoroughly processed. It's been dehaired and the completed wolf hide is stiff to the touch.
WildGiller
Honored Dwarf

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:26 am

WildGiller wrote:
EltanimRas wrote:Wait, you mean I shouldn't have been shunning those PCs with dog-leather satchels? o.O

Oh barge-newbies. Go ahead and shun those. No one cares about the barge-newbies. We feed them the rat/wolf meat until they've proven themselves worthy.

Snapdragon wrote:..And, you can't actually just look at a hide to find out what it came from.

Yes actually, you can. :D The $animaltype tag exists in the long description of the hides just like items made from them.

Code: Select all
This medium, black square of leather has been thoroughly processed. It's been dehaired and the completed wolf hide is stiff to the touch.

Pretty sure snapdragizzle meant like...realistically, you wouldn't know the difference if not for the desc telling you.
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby WildGiller » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:36 am

Ahh.. I thought they mentioned it in relation to trying to combine scraps of leather to craft something, as I thought it was suggested that scraps might have to be of the same color -and- animal type to work.

Oh yes. I agree that you shouldn't be able to tell what type of animal it came from ICly.
WildGiller
Honored Dwarf

Postby Rivean » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:55 am

I expect that an expert leatherworker would be able to tell at least in some cases. A common convention here seems to be that cow leather is very tough and sheep skin is much softer, which, if such differences exist in game, ought to be readily visible to anyone who knows what they're doing.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:56 am

WildGiller wrote:Ahh.. I thought they mentioned it in relation to trying to combine scraps of leather to craft something, as I thought it was suggested that scraps might have to be of the same color -and- animal type to work.

Oh, I might be confusing bits of conversation. :?
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby WildGiller » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:08 am

Rivean wrote:I expect that an expert leatherworker would be able to tell at least in some cases. A common convention here seems to be that cow leather is very tough and sheep skin is much softer, which, if such differences exist in game, ought to be readily visible to anyone who knows what they're doing.

Indeed. Master Fenlywyn Leatherweaver can probably run a single well-calloused digit over the back of your leggings and tell you how old the warg your wearing was when it was killed.

He's a cheeky fellow.

Anyone else eyeballs my leggings I may slap with a glove.
WildGiller
Honored Dwarf

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:19 am

They fit so well, though. :ugeek:
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby WildGiller » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:32 am

RiderOnTheStorm wrote:They fit so well, though. :ugeek:

"Gasp!" :o *slaps you with a glove*
WildGiller
Honored Dwarf

Postby Onasaki » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:08 pm

I had a thought.

Would it be possible to make Tanning Racks, and Brining Pits containers?

The craft echo states you put the tanning/brining skin into the pit.

That would make life so much easier for people who share workshop rooms.
I have two forces by my side
One's the truth and one's a lie
Which one's which I cannot tell
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Postby Snapdragon » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:16 am

You get a rough, beech wooden bin painted with a shattered skull.

<****** / ^^^^^^ / ||||||> You put a rough, beech wooden bin painted with a shattered skull into a black, warg leather satchel.

<****** / ^^^^^^ / ||||||>

You are currently critically encumbered.
You are carrying about 450 pounds.

Not really a leatherworking thing persay, but certainly a bug for the carry capactity of the leather satchel. I think the bin is begin consided a single object without the weight inside of it. :D
Snapdragon
Dwarf Recruit

Postby radioactivejesus » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:22 am

Snapdragon wrote:You get a rough, beech wooden bin painted with a shattered skull.

<****** / ^^^^^^ / ||||||> You put a rough, beech wooden bin painted with a shattered skull into a black, warg leather satchel.

Not really a leatherworking thing persay, but certainly a bug for the carry capactity of the leather satchel. I think the bin is begin consided a single object without the weight inside of it. :D

why are you stealing my bins? :*(
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:24 am

Snapdragon wrote:You get a rough, beech wooden bin painted with a shattered skull.

All containers work like this. You can put a sack inside a sack inside a sack inside a sack. 'Put x in y' only factors the container item's weight, but once it's inside, it factors the whole weight, stopping you from putting more.
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby Letters » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:00 am

RiderOnTheStorm wrote:

All containers work like this. You can put a sack inside a sack inside a sack inside a sack. 'Put x in y' only factors the container item's weight, but once it's inside, it factors the whole weight, stopping you from putting more.

It also causes the container to retain ghost weight that you can't get rid of without using the empty command.
A skeletal, pig-tailed-haired male teen says,
"Prepare to meet your doom, loping man. It is I, loitering person, your nemesis."
Letters
Elf Recruit

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:40 am

Quitting also fixes that.

This is also a frequent problem at reboots, if you're carrying pelts.
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Previous

Return to Crafts

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login