It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:59 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Unpopular Opinions Thread

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Postby radioactivejesus » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:30 pm

Humans wearing warg or wolf leather armour is really really strange. It's the equivalent of seeing an orc walk around in adroitly tailored silk garments. Considering the beasts place in Tolkiens world, wolves and especially wargs are something that is seen as wholly evil and best left out to rot.
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby Hazgarn » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:35 pm

It seems like the problem with lack of consequences relates to there really only being three ways to enforce them:

1. Admin enforcement, which is difficult because admins have better things to do with their time than oversee petty squabbling.

2. PC enforcement, which is difficult because while there are many forms which this can take (such as mediation, IC shaming, fines, etc.), only the most drastic seems effective--that, of course, being PvP.
Anything short of PvP, it seems, and you really just fall back on arguing and more bitchery and insults, accusations of griefing (warranted or not) and people eventually demanding #1.

3. NPC enforcement, which bridges the gap between #1 and #2, but only at the price of in-game atmosphere. NPC enforcers can be annoying and immersion breaking, sometimes buggy. They can really only enforce consequences for a limited set of code-detectable behaviors, such as combat, hood-wearing, or carrying weapons, ignoring a lot of behaviors (such as theft or verbal threats) that real people should take very seriously.

So with admins not having the time to enforce consequences, and PCs being discouraged from enforcing consequences, and NPCs not being implemented (or really, in my personal opinion, desired), at present, we aren't seeing a lot to keep PCs restrained to the standards of behavior we really probably should be. :|
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

I am also a Guide. Feel free to contact me through AIM or PM with questions about the game.
Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby WhiteWhale » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:37 pm

Those who work retail are people too. :lol:
Keep Calm Chive On
WhiteWhale
Forum Hobbit

Postby radioactivejesus » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:38 pm

WhiteWhale wrote:Those who work retail are people too. :lol:

boo! Hiss!
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby Hawkwind » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:39 pm

WhiteWhale wrote:Those who work retail are people too. :lol:

No they aren't! Don't be silly. :D
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:08 pm

Follow in PvP is perfectly fine. Code exists for a reason. If I can't codedly follow people, why can they codedly kill me?.
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby MarsGrad » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:25 pm

radioactivejesus wrote:Humans wearing warg or wolf leather armour is really really strange.

Wargs? Definitely agree. Wolves? Not so much. No more then bears or boars. They're just animals -- dangerous, but not inherently evil.
MarsGrad
Verified Member

Postby Jeshin » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:47 pm

Wolves can't be evil, the Starks like wolves! Game of thrones didn't lie, did it?
Jeshin
Elf Recruit

Postby Matt » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:50 pm

RiderOnTheStorm wrote:Follow in PvP is perfectly fine. Code exists for a reason. If I can't codedly follow people, why can they codedly kill me?.

This is pretty poor sportsmanship here. If we get into PvP combat and you're say... I don't know... a stealthy person? If I follow you as soon as you're spotted you're completely screwed. There's no getting away even though your PC might be able to jump behind some bushes and sneak off. Run away because you're in light armor and they're in heavy. If I was an admin I'd personally consider it abuse of code.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Rivean » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:52 pm

Whenever I see the word 'supple' in a female description, my mind reverts to its perverse roots.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby Hawkwind » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:53 pm

Rivean wrote:Whenever I see the word 'supple' in a female description, my mind reverts to its perverse roots.

I think that's the point, that she's flexible, morally and physically.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby jdidds » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:54 pm

I am really quite skilled at combat in this game.
Code: Select all
There is currently 1 soul braving the world all alone.
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Postby Letters » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:59 pm

Rivean wrote:Whenever I see the word 'supple' in a female description, my mind reverts to its perverse roots.

Going to use it any day now.
A skeletal, pig-tailed-haired male teen says,
"Prepare to meet your doom, loping man. It is I, loitering person, your nemesis."
Letters
Elf Recruit

Postby Rivean » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:05 pm

Letters wrote:

Yes, but in your case all I'd have to do is say the word 'Eothelm' out loud and be entirely cured.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby Letters » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:08 pm

Rivean wrote:
Letters wrote:

Yes, but in your case all I'd have to do is say the word 'Eothelm' out loud and be entirely cured.

Bet. C'mon. The British accent would have done it for you, and a knowledgeable person once told me her sdesc was attractive.
"Prepare to meet your doom, loping man. It is I, loitering person, your nemesis."
Letters
Elf Recruit

Postby Rivean » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:13 pm

Letters wrote:Bet. C'mon. The British accent would have done it for you, and a knowledgeable person once told me her sdesc was attractive.

You've already got it written out? o.O
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby Letters » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:18 pm

Rivean wrote:
Letters wrote:Bet. C'mon. The British accent would have done it for you, and a knowledgeable person once told me her sdesc was attractive.

No, no. My character Bet! A sinewy, viciously-scarred woman.

A surprising number of people had a thing for her. I thought you knew.
Letters
Elf Recruit

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:20 pm

Matt wrote:
RiderOnTheStorm wrote:Follow in PvP is perfectly fine. Code exists for a reason. If I can't codedly follow people, why can they codedly kill me?.

This is pretty poor sportsmanship here. If we get into PvP combat and you're say... I don't know... a stealthy person? If I follow you as soon as you're spotted you're completely screwed. There's no getting away even though your PC might be able to jump behind some bushes and sneak off. Run away because you're in light armor and they're in heavy. If I was an admin I'd personally consider it abuse of code.

Hmm, that's a good point.
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby krelm » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:21 pm

Matt wrote:

north
south

Alternatively:

stand north

Alternatively:

follow squirrel
s !

Alternatively:

set sprint
<spam 3 directions>

Alternatively:

group close

With all the ways to shake off followers, I actually agree with Rider on this.

EDIT:

Also, if the person following you engaged you in combat, and you flee, they don't keep following you.
Last edited by krelm on Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby Rivean » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:22 pm

Letters wrote:
Rivean wrote:

No, no. My character Bet! A sinewy, viciously-scarred woman.

A surprising number of people had a thing for her. I thought you knew.

Alas, not me. I've only recently come out of the woodwork.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby tehkory » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:25 pm

Matt wrote:

This is pretty poor sportsmanship here. If we get into PvP combat and you're say... I don't know... a stealthy person? If I follow you as soon as you're spotted you're completely screwed.

To start of my devil's advocacy...group close prevents this. And watch <person> also stops people from hiding when you're in the room, and gives you vision on what direction the person is sneaking.

There's no getting away even though your PC might be able to jump behind some bushes and sneak off.

At this point in our imaginary scenario, you've failed the 'hiding in the bushes' check because you've found.

Run away because you're in light armor and they're in heavy.

Devil's advocate, again, but this option -already- exists and is already hardcoded. Check info. Heavier armored PCs move slower. So if he follows you, set jog and outrun him if you can. Con, agi, strength, and how well-armored you are all are important, here. If you can't, well, you couldn't've done it in the first place. It's code, sure, but it exists for a reason. One of those is pursuit.

If I was an admin I'd personally consider it abuse of code.

I'm not sure how this can be, when you can easily counter it by: outrunning the slower PC(if he is slower), throwing him off and running in the other direction, or jumping somewhere he can't easily follow(a river). It's nothing more than choosing to go to code. If you're doing it first thing, it sucks...but there are other circumstances.

I personally use it after someone -else- has already immediately gone to code upon being found, and needs chased down. If they care to try and outrun/stamina my PC, they can, but they're it's a legitimate piece of code, same as search, hide, sneak, watch, group close, and stand <direction> all are(unless you're throwing people off the edge of a cliff, in that last one. But that's just because you can throw 20 people off a cliff without any emotes or any indication on their part that they're in danger).
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Letters » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:31 pm

Oh. Well.

Spacer. Probably the only one in the game for a month or two after some others went away and until Emmie surfaced (if you don't know Emmie - for shame). She did some stuff. She sounded English. She made some players really mad. Aaaand probably about eight PCs had, at some stage, a crush on her or - if they were gutsy or stupid - actively chased her.

So my next PC's gonna be supple. :D

Re: PvP. I despise PvP. Have I mentioned that before? >.>
Letters
Elf Recruit

Postby Letters » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:33 pm

Additional potentially unpopular opinion:

Brazil really bungled that. 7-1? Really?
Letters
Elf Recruit

Postby toofast » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:37 pm

We need more craft timers.
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby likui » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:37 pm

Letters wrote:Additional potentially unpopular opinion:

Brazil really bungled that. 7-1? Really?

On their home turf and against a team notorious for doing terribly in hot weather, no less. Yeah, they definitely did. And I thought the Spain-Holland game was a train wreck. lol
likui
Honored Dwarf

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login