It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:27 pm
Change font size
Forum Home Public Orcs

Orcs

Culture in Vadok

All things yrkin. A place for Staff and players alike to use this space to coordinate RPTs and in-game events. Please keep in-character information off of this board.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Culture in Vadok

Postby bhalfmann » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:01 pm

I'm new to the Orc Sphere, and as such, I have merely the faintest of ideas of what Yrch culture is.

What is the family structure like for Yrch?

What is the social system like? Is it merely the strongest rules?

How does the Yrch economy work?

I'd just like some context so when I'm IC, I have a basis for my actions and assumptions.
bhalfmann

Re: Culture in Vadok

Postby Onasaki » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:25 pm

Family Structure is generally what happens happens. There's no nuclear orc family. If you screw, you have kids, whether you want them, don't want them. If it's even asked for. Etc.

Social structure, is pretty much strength rules. You want something another guy has? Beat him up and take it, if you can, if not, then you just got your ass kicked.

Economy, is based solely on trade and bartering I'd think. If there's even an economy. Though, it seems we do get/have coins, at the moment. And we were paid for by coins.

Vadok itself is a warband, we're all lowly snaga bought out to replenish the forces of Striza. There's probably only a handful of orcs who grew up in Vadok, but it was probably a rough existence anyway.

In general, orcs are rough and tumble strongest of the fittest barbarians who like to worship spirits. They also mostly not real smart. Hence why the Dark Lord uses them as canon fodder, and shock-troops.

I hope that helps?
I have two forces by my side
One's the truth and one's a lie
Which one's which I cannot tell
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Postby radioactivejesus » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:22 pm

Onasaki wrote:Social structure, is pretty much strength rules. You want something another guy has? Beat him up and take it, if you can, if not, then you just got your ass kicked.

I've always imagined it to be more complex than this. Say Joskmo the goblin has been around for a while, has a fancy hat, and is really well liked by his comrades due to brewing for them, having a really good stand-up comedy act, whatever. If Johndur the newblood sword-orc arrives and tries to take the hat, Joskmo's buddies will likely kick the unknown orc's teeth out, even if he is a better fighter. Social structure is determined by your number of followers, your perceived value to those around you, your strength with your weapon and also your friends.
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby krelm » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:28 pm

Having a lot of friends that will beat the crap out of anyone who messes with you is still technically might-makes-right. It's just might in numbers, as opposed to physical might.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby radioactivejesus » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:36 pm

krelm wrote:Having a lot of friends that will beat the crap out of anyone who messes with you is still technically might-makes-right. It's just might in numbers, as opposed to physical might.

yeah, not arguing that orcs aren't a might-make-right society. Just that it's more complex than just hitting anyone who has cooler stuff than you
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby Justanothacivy » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:59 pm

I like to think of Goodfellas on this subject.

There is order, but at any moment abhorent violence could break out and coupes are a thing. Might makes right but if you're cunning you could still make it.

Power and personal gain are a huge driving force. Killing everyone around you will make you enemies quickly. You must balance the violence, gathering followers, and gaining the approval of those in power to ever be succesful.
Things that made me smile:
Icarus wrote:I'm going to kill the next character I see doing stuff like that. I'm not joking.
Justanothacivy
Honored Dwarf

Postby MrT2G » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:24 pm

Everyone always seems to go the strength rules in Orkish society. To some sense this is true, whether you are the best at combat or have the most friends can put you at a higher place in the general hierarchy. However, my opinion is that value to the Warband is what this is based on.

A stronger fighter will have more value to the Warband as will an orc able to rally more bodies. Similarly, the Boss or Chief isn't going to let his best Blacksmith get bullied because that Blacksmith has a lot of value in the materials he produces.

So my opinion is that much of the hierarchy in orcish culture revolves around an individual's value. This is particularly true in the lower to mid-level ranks. The top ranks are full of highly valuable individuals. Who ends up at the tippy-top is dependent on any number of factors.
A curvy, copper-haired woman drops a small, strawberry-blonde toddler girl.
MrT2G
Elf Recruit

Postby Snapdragon » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:20 am

I agree with Mrt. Some characters have virtually no ability to fight but because they can do valuable things for the warband, they aren't bothered, and even respected for it.
Snapdragon
Dwarf Recruit

Postby MarcusSaint » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:08 am

Snapdragon wrote:I agree with Mrt. Some characters have virtually no ability to fight but because they can do valuable things for the warband, they aren't bothered, and even respected for it.

Wait... what?
A -redacted- orc emphatically tells a -redacted- orc, in rough, screeching and raspy hiss,
"Sha! Leave dah cook!"

A -redacted- orc tells a -redacted- orc, through split lips,
"The cook? Sha', he's broken."

:mrgreen:
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese!!
MarcusSaint
Forum Hobbit

Return to Orcs

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login