It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:34 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

Commands Overview Thread

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Commands Overview Thread

Postby jdidds » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:25 am

Post your questions about commands you are not familiar with here and let the playerbase answer them :)

Inzannadee wrote:I wish the help files were for the current code and actually helped explain some of these "feel" and "temote" commands that are completely unfamiliar to those players who never played those other muds.

Or a maybe a wiki page "What's new from Ye Olde SoI".

From the SoI wishlist thread.

Until some documentation is available on these commands, im sure the playerbase can help.

So, what do these commands do and how can you use them?

Temote
Amote
Feel
Hiddenemote

Also I've seen a lot of character with sheaths bearing a concealed item. How do you do this?

Post your other questions about new commands here.
Last edited by jdidds on Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Code: Select all
There is currently 1 soul braving the world all alone.
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Re: New commands thread

Postby Throttle » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:39 am

Temote is the table emote, i.e. emoting to people at your table. It's the emote version of 'talk.' I'm not actually sure if it also works as talk does for the purpose of conveying only to one's group when not sitting at something.

There's no such thing as amote. If you meant dmote, it allows you to temporarily append something to your full description. People tend to use it to describe things like injuries or anything unusual about their equipment.

Feel is pretty self-explanatory. It's the non-dialogue counterpart to 'think.' Seen by admins the same way thoughts are, and is used similarly.

Hemote is for hidden emotes. People will only spot your hemote if they pass some kind of check (probably an int check) or, presumably, if they're watching you with the 'watch' command. Useful for clandestine behaviour. I also believe you can hemote safely without having it break hide, but I'm not 100% sure.

Concealed items are concealed with the 'conceal' command (surprisingly) and show up as "something (concealed)" to others (which I hate, it's ugly) and can be 'revealed' to bring the item back to normal.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby jdidds » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:44 am

Amote: I saw this IG the other day. Not sure which helpfile it was attached to, perhaps emote. Did a search for amote and it didn't give any results.
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Postby tehkory » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:47 am

Throttle wrote:Temote is the table emote, i.e. emoting to people at your table. It's the emote version of 'talk.' I'm not actually sure if it also works as talk does for the purpose of conveying only to one's group when not sitting at something.

Ir does, and even better, can be used when you aren't even -in- a group to mutter to yourself, unlike talk.

Wmote allows you to change an object's wearstring. wmote worn over the crotch, for example.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby EltanimRas » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:55 am

Throttle wrote:Feel is pretty self-explanatory. It's the non-dialogue counterpart to 'think.' Seen by admins the same way thoughts are, and is used similarly.

I use it anytime I want a verb that's not think: "You feel yourself wondering, musing, remembering ..." So long as we don't start having empaths in game [who hear feels but not thinks], I imagine the difference is cosmetic.

Throttle wrote:Hemote is for hidden emotes. People will only spot your hemote if they pass some kind of check (probably an int check) or, presumably, if they're watching you with the 'watch' command. Useful for clandestine behaviour. I also believe you can hemote safely without having it break hide, but I'm not 100% sure.

Hmote can break hide, although the chance may (?) be lower than it is for a standard emote.

Outside of those [hidden, clandestine, shady] contexts, Riv and I have resolved to use it as little as possible, though, because it seems to stifle a lot of potential RP openings. We'd rather leave it in the other players' hands to decide whether and to what extent their PCs notice ours' subtle shifts of expression, stolen glances, discreet gestures, etc.

Also, check 'help wmote' (as Kory teh Ninja mentions), if you haven't already. Less RP-relevant, but also new to some players may be 'help upgrade' and 'check usage'.
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby tehkory » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:04 am

Awh yiss ninja.

Uh, more helpfully:
I use hmote in the following manner.
emote fidgets, obviously so, gaze wandering.
hemote fidgeting, @ sets a hand near to *sheath very briefly, gaze lingering on ~riv as it travels over the sparse crowd

Even more helpfully:
you may now bracket think, like so:
think (as his hand drifts over *sheath, gaze on ~riv) I'll gut him like a pig.

Also, I have nothing against Rivean.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby jdidds » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:09 am

tehkory wrote:Awh yiss ninja.

Uh, more helpfully:
hemote fidgeting, @ sets a hand near to *sheath very briefly, gaze lingering on ~riv as it travels over the sparse crowd

Even more helpfully:

Would that think echo an emote to the room then?
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Postby tehkory » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:12 am

jdidds wrote:
tehkory wrote:Awh yiss ninja.

Uh, more helpfully:

Even more helpfully:

Would that think echo an emote to the room then?

I don't know how it'd look to a telepath, I'll admit, but no. It doesn't echo to anyone else. I could've used a better example, like, think (feeling chagrinned that ~bob caught him boinking his wife, ~jane) Jee golly, this is awkward.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby EltanimRas » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:23 am

tehkory wrote:you may now bracket think

I have been coming up with complicated workarounds for no reason. :shock:

Thanks, Kory!
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby WildGiller » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:35 am

Wait wait wait. Hemote exists in SOI?
*Thrilled to discover that*
WildGiller
Honored Dwarf

Postby EltanimRas » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:45 am

I don't recall whether it existed in the old SoI or not, but 'help clean' is another one to know now.
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby Songweaver » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:48 am

The first thing we decided to do with we created Atonement was to vastly expand the options for emotes and ways of speaking. One of my favorite things we did with the engine.

You can also bracket speech within pretty much anything now using quotation marks. Sometimes, you have to get used to how the code deals with punctuation to keep it from looking too weird, though.

h/t/whatever/emote looming behind ~bilbo, @ bellows downward, "Gotcha, Hobbit!" With a broad, hungry grin, he furthers his threat, "Do you feel filled with the holiday spirit?"

Or...

stand (with one swift movement, spinning on his his heels to face ~smaug. "Well", the shining knight says as he levels *holysword towards the maw of the great serpent, "I suppose this means you don't want your Secret Santa present. A pity, it was a fifty copper bit gift card to Olive Garden")

(note that you'll wanna avoid putting a period at the end of quotations in ACTION commands that you use to speak, like the one above)

Not all action commands allow for this, but many do.

Also, you can "omote lock" objects so that someone doesn't accidentally pick them up and ruin your atmospheric omote using a "!" at the end of your omote.

omote smaughead sits above the mantle place, a grim trophy of some great adventure. For some reason, it has a Santa Claus hat worn on one of its scaly ears. !

ETA: Hemote always checks against hide, even without other players/mobs in the room, to determine whether or not it succeeds without forcing you vis.
Last edited by Songweaver on Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby EltanimRas » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:32 pm

What? I must test this new speech-in-parentheses toy.

The fancy forage system (help general forage) is also new, and very different from the old SoI version.
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby Pinklepea » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:15 pm

Ranty and negative, because I am. Please don't hate or flame.

This is what has killed muds. Keeping it simple doesn't just apply to not opening new spheres every month. I don't want or need a dozen new commands that basically do what I can already do with the current code. But, if you insist on wasting time, please don't half ass. I need help files that actually help, and commands that don't cause crashes. Kthanks (and this is why I can't come back yet).
Vorondil: Nimrod will run me over with his tractor if I do
Pinklepea
Forum Hobbit

Postby tehkory » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:37 pm

Pinklepea wrote:Ranty and negative, because I am. Please don't hate or flame.

This is what has killed muds. Keeping it simple doesn't just apply to not opening new spheres every month. I don't want or need a dozen new commands that basically do what I can already do with the current code. But, if you insist on wasting time, please don't half ass. I need help files that actually help, and commands that don't cause crashes. Kthanks (and this is why I can't come back yet).

This is an Alpha. We can either accept that, or else not.

ETA:
And every single one of these was added in Atonement. None of these are 'new.'
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby krelm » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:52 am

They're like 4 year old commands, yeah.

And all of the new commands and stuff can mostly be ignored. Other than omote locking, the three extra combat commands, and 'check', I haven't used a "new" command in years.

Speaking of:

If you're in a room full of objects, and want to find a specific one, you can use 'check <object>'

If you want you see a list of specific items in the room, on the floor, you can do 'chest list <item>.' For containers you can do 'check list <item> in <container>.'

That command is immensely useful for when you're trying to get around keyword shenanigans or if you want to get a specific sword or whatever.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby krelm » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 pm

'info' is a damn useful command, too.
One among the fence.
krelm

Postby Raukran » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:47 pm

You can use multiple keywords when trying to target something or someone by separating the keywords with a command. <command> <keyword>,<keyword> Example: LOOK IN BOAR,SATCHEL. This works with most conventional commands, but bugs out in emotes and such, I believe.
I am not responsible for the actions of my characters.
Raukran
Unverified User

Postby hobbitboots » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:09 pm

Can we just call this the command questions thread?

Is it possible to stand <direction> without breaking hide?
hobbitboots
Dwarf Recruit

Postby krelm » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:15 pm

It is not, as far as I know.
One among the fence.
krelm

Postby hobbitboots » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:22 pm

Well, the next time staff asks me what new code gadget they should put in, I know what I'll tell them. :P
hobbitboots
Dwarf Recruit

Postby jdidds » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:46 am

hobbitboots wrote:Can we just call this the command questions thread?

Done :)
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Re: Commands Overview Thread

Postby Icarus » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:35 am

My god I didn't even realize half of these existed, and I ran Atonement for awhile!!

Useful thread.

If someone would draft a helpfile, help new-commands I'd be happy to place it IG.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Songweaver » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:06 am

Icarus wrote:My god I didn't even realize half of these existed, and I ran Atonement for awhile!!

Useful thread.

If someone would draft a helpfile, help new-commands I'd be happy to place it IG.

We did a really good job of adding nifty features to the engine, and a really bad job of documenting. Sorry.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby EltanimRas » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:22 am

Does the speak command (for switching languages) affect emote-embedded speech as well as say/tell/talk?
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Next

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login