It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:16 am
Change font size
Forum Home Public Orcs

Orcs

Orcish Song/Dance and Celebration Discussion

All things yrkin. A place for Staff and players alike to use this space to coordinate RPTs and in-game events. Please keep in-character information off of this board.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Orcish Song/Dance and Celebration Discussion

Postby Justanothacivy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:26 pm

Culture, storytelling, and other things of substance that will create an orcish atmosphere we can be proud to share with old and new players alike.

Bring in your own ideas and lets hear what there is to say on the topic. It has been brought up that there isn't much documentation, true so let's create something believable and enjoyable! :mrgreen:
Things that made me smile:
Icarus wrote:I'm going to kill the next character I see doing stuff like that. I'm not joking.
Justanothacivy
Honored Dwarf

Re: Orcish Song/Dance and Celebration Discussion

Postby Zargen » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:57 pm

When ever I think of orcs dancing or do it myself I tend to draw inspiration from multiple real-life sources. Native Americans. African Tribes and Maori warriors doing the haka among other things.
Zargen
Honored Dwarf

Postby Matt » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:01 pm

HEY YOU DON'T HAVE TO GLOAT!!!! :) <3
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Zargen » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:05 pm

Warriors of the fight
For our tribes and our homes
We will win or die
Forever we are orcs!
Zargen
Honored Dwarf

Postby Matt » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:07 pm

I think you should do
Some awesome orcish haikus
Because that would rule
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby radioactivejesus » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:48 pm

here is the whip
the goblins protest warfare
lash lord gives no fucks
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby Matt » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:04 am

radioactivejesus wrote:here is the whip
lash lord gives no fucks

Haiku fail.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby radioactivejesus » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:06 am

Matt wrote:
lash lord gives no fucks

Haiku fail.

syllable counter said 5, 7, 5
I don't understand this weaboo shit :(
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby tehkory » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:49 am

radioactivejesus wrote:
Matt wrote:
lash lord gives no fucks

Haiku fail.

syllable counter said 5, 7, 5
I don't understand this weaboo shit :(

you did four not five
you fail to produce haiku
unlike this success
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Snapdragon » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:41 am

Masterful! Well done Tehkory
Snapdragon
Dwarf Recruit

Postby MarcusSaint » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:46 am

tehkory wrote:
lash lord gives no fucks
you did four not five
you fail to produce haiku
unlike this success

It's pronounced Whip-puh.

Any ork worth 'is salt knows that.

:mrgreen:
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese!!
MarcusSaint
Forum Hobbit

Postby Hawkwind » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:46 am

Is orc, find tark, take life. Is good to orc.
Slavboo > weeaboo.

Also firedancing, drums and banging on things and spatting.

Now spatting is something unique which more often than not gets ruined by the loosing player picking up his sword and attacking the victor. Spatting, to my understanding, was ritual baiting used to get under each others skin, not just to come up with tbe foulest, disgusting insult. Tbe point was to get tbe other orc angry and upset, if tbey reached for a weapkn the failed.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby MrDvAnt » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:38 am

If there's to be dancing and celebrating I think it's very important to take into consideration the reason the the revel. Many dancing, drinking, and partying situations that we are used to, being humans ourselves, are to celebrate something. Harvest festivals, Christmas parties, New Year's Eve, birthdays, etc.

An orc would never celebrate something with any kind of positive aspect. Birth and renewal and ideas like them are a Good thing. Orcs would possibly celebrate a battle victory, but even then the flavor would not be celebrating their victory because they are happy to be alive like many human battle celebrations would be. They'd be celebrating the death and destruction they rained upon the other side.

They might dance and drink as a ritual, seeking the favor of whatever they follow, or performing rituals based in mysticism. This is rambly and I'm having a hard time coming to my point. I just woke up. The general idea is that I think we need to be careful about what the orcs might be celebrating with any event like this.
MrDvAnt
Honored Elf

Postby Oblivion » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:56 am

Only examples I can give are from past experiences... But early early Gothakra used to have funerals for fallen uruks who died in combat. The bodies would be ritually dismembered to 'make it easy' for that uruk 'spirit' to 'return to the mountain' ... Which was where the Gothakra tribes came from and the general 'belief' in the tribe was that strong warriors would get reborn and have another chance to kill many soft-skins.

This would be accompanied by lots of drinking, general bragging about personal skills, and of course the 'spatting' contests. The spatting is good though, even if it comes to someone drawing a weapon, it just has to be tempered by everyone else around them mocking whoever draws first as the loser of the 'event', and not goading the fight to continue into actual loss of life. Biggest thing to these sorts of 'contests' would be that the player has to understand that the orc wouldn't really hold a grudge for being baited into drawing a weapon and should concede the loss as if it were a physical spar. Honestly we beat the crap out of one another on a daily basis and don't get uptight when we lose a spar, why would it be any different when throwing words?

Then there was the ever favorite 'skins only' brawls that the entire tribe would get in to, with everyone taking much care to leave the unconscious alone or have them dragged away as the brawl goes on. These are kind of what led to the development of boot-skull, which is almost the same thing but with designated teams and a few loose rules such as the 'goals'.

There also used to be the fire-talks, which go along the lines of boasting about one's self in front of everyone else and generally trying to make yourself sound good. again that comes with the understanding that most times people listening wouldn't degrade to demeaning the story-teller for potential lies and flagrancy.
Oblivion
Dwarf Recruit

Postby MrDvAnt » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:44 am

Oblivion wrote:Only examples I can give are from past experiences... But early early Gothakra used to have funerals for fallen uruks who died in combat. The bodies would be ritually dismembered to 'make it easy' for that uruk 'spirit' to 'return to the mountain' ... Which was where the Gothakra tribes came from and the general 'belief' in the tribe was that strong warriors would get reborn and have another chance to kill many soft-skins.

This would be accompanied by lots of drinking, general bragging about personal skills, and of course the 'spatting' contests. The spatting is good though, even if it comes to someone drawing a weapon, it just has to be tempered by everyone else around them mocking whoever draws first as the loser of the 'event', and not goading the fight to continue into actual loss of life. Biggest thing to these sorts of 'contests' would be that the player has to understand that the orc wouldn't really hold a grudge for being baited into drawing a weapon and should concede the loss as if it were a physical spar. Honestly we beat the crap out of one another on a daily basis and don't get uptight when we lose a spar, why would it be any different when throwing words?

Then there was the ever favorite 'skins only' brawls that the entire tribe would get in to, with everyone taking much care to leave the unconscious alone or have them dragged away as the brawl goes on. These are kind of what led to the development of boot-skull, which is almost the same thing but with designated teams and a few loose rules such as the 'goals'.

There also used to be the fire-talks, which go along the lines of boasting about one's self in front of everyone else and generally trying to make yourself sound good. again that comes with the understanding that most times people listening wouldn't degrade to demeaning the story-teller for potential lies and flagrancy.

I understand that the old days can be alluring, but I'd hesitate to have orcs even have funerals. Caring that someone died and wanting to send their spirit on is assuming a nobility of spirit and personality. I don't think they'd care that one of their own had fallen. Maybe if a strong leader died, they'd be dismayed and a bit scared of their enemy, but they wouldn't feel the need to have a funeral to help them overcome the loss of a loved one like we do.
MrDvAnt
Honored Elf

Postby Oblivion » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:22 pm

Understandable sentiment as well. As I've said when coming back, I don't particularly want to be influential in how the orcs of this incarnation 'evolve'. But almost any conversation about the subjects of uruks tends to get me drawn in and wanting to participate.

So all in all, take my nostalgic attempts at fleshing out the race with a few grains of salt I suppose. I won't be arguing too hard to push my opinions, just tossing things out there on the subjects.
Oblivion
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Hazgarn » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:08 pm

MrDvAnt wrote:I understand that the old days can be alluring, but I'd hesitate to have orcs even have funerals. Caring that someone died and wanting to send their spirit on is assuming a nobility of spirit and personality. I don't think they'd care that one of their own had fallen. Maybe if a strong leader died, they'd be dismayed and a bit scared of their enemy, but they wouldn't feel the need to have a funeral to help them overcome the loss of a loved one like we do.

Whether or not orcs are capable of mourning their dead deeply the way humans do is a question I'll leave to players who have played orcs. I haven't yet. That said there are other potential motivations a culture might have for handling their dead with a bit of care.

Superstition and fear, for example, are both great motivators for rites surrounding death.

Perhaps some orcs believe that some kinds of death (such as through misfortune or accident) are "catching", and laying the body to rest with some attention can avert future hardship. Perhaps when a leader or other especially fearsome orc is laid to rest, it is done with a ceremony "honoring" the fallen, lest his shade come back and make the rest of his clan suffer for failing in their respect.

Then of course there's selfishness. A funeral could be an opportunity to challenge others for rights to the deceased orc's property. Or to improve one's own standing through boasts tied to their association with the departed.

But in general, from an OOC perspective, a funeral is an occasion where things are happening, and it's probably good to encourage those, regardless.
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

I am also a Guide. Feel free to contact me through AIM or PM with questions about the game.
Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby Onasaki » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:11 pm

I believe orcs are capable of honoring respected orcs who have died. Ancestors. And spirits.

This has always been a commonplace thing when it comes to Orcs, in general, from what I understand.
I have two forces by my side
One's the truth and one's a lie
Which one's which I cannot tell
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Postby MrDvAnt » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:51 pm

Hazgarn wrote:
MrDvAnt wrote:I understand that the old days can be alluring, but I'd hesitate to have orcs even have funerals. Caring that someone died and wanting to send their spirit on is assuming a nobility of spirit and personality. I don't think they'd care that one of their own had fallen. Maybe if a strong leader died, they'd be dismayed and a bit scared of their enemy, but they wouldn't feel the need to have a funeral to help them overcome the loss of a loved one like we do.

Whether or not orcs are capable of mourning their dead deeply the way humans do is a question I'll leave to players who have played orcs. I haven't yet. That said there are other potential motivations a culture might have for handling their dead with a bit of care.

Superstition and fear, for example, are both great motivators for rites surrounding death.

Perhaps some orcs believe that some kinds of death (such as through misfortune or accident) are "catching", and laying the body to rest with some attention can avert future hardship. Perhaps when a leader or other especially fearsome orc is laid to rest, it is done with a ceremony "honoring" the fallen, lest his shade come back and make the rest of his clan suffer for failing in their respect.

Then of course there's selfishness. A funeral could be an opportunity to challenge others for rights to the deceased orc's property. Or to improve one's own standing through boasts tied to their association with the departed.

But in general, from an OOC perspective, a funeral is an occasion where things are happening, and it's probably good to encourage those, regardless.

This what I'm fumblingly trying to get at. The motivation behind the celebration. Having a funeral to mourn a fallen orc, not so orcy. Funeral out of superstition/dread, chance to challenge for the fallen's positions, etc are all good motivations.
MrDvAnt
Honored Elf

Postby MrDvAnt » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:51 pm

Onasaki wrote:I believe orcs are capable of honoring respected orcs who have died. Ancestors. And spirits.

This has always been a commonplace thing when it comes to Orcs, in general, from what I understand.

Always? For the month we've been open?
MrDvAnt
Honored Elf

Postby Oblivion » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:12 pm

Heh... Can of worms there... SoI has had many years worth of player created behavior for orcs. This is just the most recent incarnation.

Even the current incarnation is mostly tribal, with slaves being bought and brought in to supplement a single tribe in it's leader's goals. But we're seeing evidence of 'spiritual' practices, value of industrial members, honor of warriors. Maybe just not the typical ways we as humans are accustomed to.

It's kind of a mistake to believe that orcs don't have varying degrees of humanity, and what slant that might take in the society they are produced in.
Oblivion
Dwarf Recruit

Postby krelm » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:34 am

I always saw any ritual an orc performed on the dead having little-to-nothing to do with the dead orc, but instead being done to please some spirit or whatever. No orc is an atheist, after all.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby Matt » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:59 am

krelm wrote:I always saw any ritual an orc performed on the dead having little-to-nothing to do with the dead orc, but instead being done to please some spirit or whatever. No orc is an atheist, after all.

Religious reasons about the actual dead orc definitely. Beyond that who cares throw it in a ditch.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Return to Orcs

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login