It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:39 pm
Change font size
Forum Home Public Crafts

Crafts

Suggestion: Failed crafts cause injuries

Suggest crafts, talk about existing crafts, debate the finer points of your craftiness.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Suggestion: Failed crafts cause injuries

Postby slickblades » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:07 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if we can have some of the crafts cause injuries when the player fails a check. For example, smiths can get burned at the forge, or cut their hands at the sawmill. We could even have bleeding wounds when a cook fails at a craft and cuts his fingers.

Pros:
- Increases realism: this would simulate RL accidents, which happens in professions that uses dangerous equipment: forges, sawmills, large traps, etc. Having these wounds get infected would help further the realism and increase RP opportunities.

- Increases RP opportunities: these wounds won't be life threatening. We can have them occur at higher expertise crafts, if needed. These will make crafter players get together with medics and healers and tell stories about how they smashed their fingers with the striking hammer, or cut their fingers because they got distracted by a pretty lass :D Right now medics are almost always dealing with the same 5-6 players who go out hunting or patrolling and get wounded by boars, orc, or wargs. Having injured crafters brings variety.

Minor Con:
- This does introduce certain amount of danger to crafters which some players may not like. They may have wanted to play a character that never gets hurt. Since these are not life threatening and do not impact success/failure of crafting, they can simply rest and let the wounds heal on their own.

Thoughts?
slickblades
Verified Member

Re: Suggestion: Failed crafts cause injuries

Postby MrT2G » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:37 pm

The only craftset that comes to mind that I'd like to see this sort of thing in is the logging stuff.

Mostly because I grew up logging and that work is no joke.

I am sure there are others too where it would make sense.
A curvy, copper-haired woman drops a small, strawberry-blonde toddler girl.
MrT2G
Elf Recruit

Postby EltanimRas » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:26 am

I'm not opposed so long as the occurrence is rare enough not to be jarring, although it seems (by my personal, ordinary-player speculation) unlikely to make the priority list anytime soon.

Meanwhile, though, I'm sure most medics would be delighted to treat crafters' dmoted and RP'd injuries, even if they won't get a skill-up out of it.
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby slickblades » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:11 pm

EltanimRas wrote:Meanwhile, though, I'm sure most medics would be delighted to treat crafters' dmoted and RP'd injuries, even if they won't get a skill-up out of it.

True, but having coded support would certainly make this easier :)
slickblades
Verified Member

Postby tehkory » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:42 pm

slickblades wrote:
EltanimRas wrote:Meanwhile, though, I'm sure most medics would be delighted to treat crafters' dmoted and RP'd injuries, even if they won't get a skill-up out of it.

True, but having coded support would certainly make this easier :)

Codedly, crafts can damage PCs, on success or failure AFAIK, via stamina drain(which equates to bloodloss damage). Unfortunately, that damage can't be treated, and I don't thiiiiink that crafts can deal straight wounds, though maybe via a prog they can? Tiamat/Songweaver would know better about that sort of craft.
tehkory
Master Ent

Return to Crafts

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login