It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:32 pm
Change font size
Forum Home Public Crafts

Crafts

Smells, Washing, and You

Suggest crafts, talk about existing crafts, debate the finer points of your craftiness.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Smells, Washing, and You

Postby Frigga » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:12 pm

For humans at least - you'll soon find soap for sale. :D

This soap is usable with the general craft lather lye-soap

Said craft contains secret magics which will indeed, remove any lingering smells clinging to your PC.

Now that the ability to remove said smells is live and well, expect indeed to find more smells (probably mostly unpleasant ) emerging from various activities and sources.

Enjoy (or something like that :lol: )
Frigga
The Ice Queen

Re: Smells, Washing, and You

Postby Hazgarn » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:43 pm

Hopefully there are also plans to make this craftable soonish. Otherwise I foresee this getting very, very ugly...
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

I am also a Guide. Feel free to contact me through AIM or PM with questions about the game.
Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby Snapdragon » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:49 pm

I can just the see the Lakeside Newscast about how riots in the streets have broken out when the vendor ran out of rose scented soap. People were screaming. Looters started terrorizing shop keeps and civilization fell to the wayside. All because the ran out of soap.

Off in the distance, the orcs are watching the events and laughing to themselves 'Idiots..."
Snapdragon
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Nailah » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:51 am

Hazgarn wrote:Hopefully there are also plans to make this craftable soonish. Otherwise I foresee this getting very, very ugly...

Gaining lard and fats for tallow via butchery will help with this, but I am torn under where to actually put it.
Nailah
Honored Dwarf

Postby Jeshin » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:08 am

medicine
Jeshin
Elf Recruit

Postby EltanimRas » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:31 am

Jeshin wrote:medicine

Pro: Medicine is currently short of crafts, and it's the closest thing we have to the old apothecary craftset.

Con: Soap-making is a normal, if arduous, activity for low-tech rural households, and the requisite knowledge has very little correlation with medical skill. I'd almost rather see it under farming.
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby Nailah » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:18 pm

EltanimRas wrote:
Jeshin wrote:medicine

Pro: Medicine is currently short of crafts, and it's the closest thing we have to the old apothecary craftset.

Con: Soap-making is a normal, if arduous, activity for low-tech rural households, and the requisite knowledge has very little correlation with medical skill. I'd almost rather see it under farming.

Yeah, I think farming is the way to go with this one. Bear fat is going to be in soon, which opens up a good base for medicinal salves.
Nailah
Honored Dwarf

Postby Droll » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:20 pm

Bear fat...is boar fat a thing? I mean...lard has been used for a long time. I just don't really butcher stuff so I don't know if that is produced by dissecting the piggies.
[A burning comet headed straight for your head is online. Use NOTIFY to reply in kind.]
Droll
Honored Dwarf

Postby Nailah » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:29 pm

Chunks of raw boar fat will be in soon too, yes. They will be rendered into lard or tallow for candles, etc.
Nailah
Honored Dwarf

Postby MrT2G » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:53 pm

I am just curious. How are smells going to be implemented in with the stealth code?

I'd love to think that people would roleplay it out if they 'smelled' something, but the abundance of search spamming/quick attacking already leads me to believe otherwise.
A curvy, copper-haired woman drops a small, strawberry-blonde toddler girl.
MrT2G
Elf Recruit

Postby Hazgarn » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:05 pm

MrT2G wrote:I am just curious. How are smells going to be implemented in with the stealth code?

I'd love to think that people would roleplay it out if they 'smelled' something, but the abundance of search spamming/quick attacking already leads me to believe otherwise.

I think that, right now "sniff" allows you to detect smells present in the room. This may extend to smells being carried by characters in that room, but I'm not sure.
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

I am also a Guide. Feel free to contact me through AIM or PM with questions about the game.
Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby Ava » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:26 am

Farming for soap seems so weird to me! Maybe general with a long timer or something? Or herbalism, if it's something an apothecary type might make.
Ava
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Jeshin » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:30 am

If it is supposed to be such a general craft, just make it a general craft?
Jeshin
Elf Recruit

Postby EltanimRas » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:20 am

Jeshin wrote:If it is supposed to be such a general craft, just make it a general craft?

That might work alright for Alpha, where most PCs come from relatively rural backgrounds, but seems likely to feel odd once we make the move to Laketown.

Ava wrote:Farming for soap seems so weird to me! Maybe general with a long timer or something? Or herbalism, if it's something an apothecary type might make.

Herbalism went poof with SoI2, I think, and it was a gathering skill anyway. It also used to have forage as a prerequisite, which is every bit as weird a requirement for soap-making as first aid (medicine's prereq). Apothecary, also gone, was, if I recall correctly, the old medicine/soap/perfume craftset.

I'd be perfectly happy to see these skills come back, myself, but they'd make a fully-rounded healer-herbalist-apothecary PC extremely expensive on skill picks. Pity the poor soul who wants a literate one!

In my fantasy dream-world, we have 'minor skills' like chandlery (soap + candles) that only count as half a skill pick in chargen.
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby soiacc » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:45 pm

Why not put soapmaking with cooking. Maybe have a grey lump of lye soap in the general section.
soiacc
Honored Dwarf

Postby Saellyn » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:11 pm

When are orcs going to be able to make boar-piss and boar-poop soap so we can smell good too D:?
Saellyn
Dwarf Recruit

Postby BleedingEdge » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:09 pm

My granny used to make her own lye soap using leftover grease from her fried beef, rabbit and chickens (which she raised too) and mixed in the little leftover storebought soaps that were almost too small to hold. What I'm saying is that as a ranchers wife they could make just about anything that was needed about the place. Its not that difficult to make, you just have to know how, and it should probably go under the General crafting like Lather Lye-Soap.

If I have one request, it would be to allow the crafter to determine how strong the lye mixture will be concentrated. There are times you'll want a scented bath soap that you can soak in, yes I know frontier towns didn't have 'that' much free time, but still there are times you want to soak in that number 5 bucket/tub, and then there are times you want it mixed 'eat your hands off' strong for those times your skinning those greasy boar hogs and nothing else will do. Of course, you'd want to allow the crafter to add some sort of coloring or scenting to differentiate between the strengths. And like many terrified parents will know, keep household cleaners away from the children. It will kill them.

Ah granny's gray blue lye soap with little bits of storebought soaps mixed in. Sigh. It would make your hands rosy red in twenty seconds or less as it ate the outer layers of dead skin right off. Good times. I don't think I've seen that little scrub brush like hers since either. It had bristles like those hand held scrub brushes you clean a floor or bathtub with with a loop you could slip an index finger and little finger into for more control. It was a tiny thing with only three or four rows of bristles and probably eight or ten bristles long, but it was perfect for scrubbing stuff off the knuckles and between the fingers. Which was handy when it was berry/grape picking season. As a starving kid, I mean growing, I swear more berries went in my stomach than my bucket. Which was all well and good until you dumped the berries in the sink full of water at the end of the day and you got to see all the crawlies making a swim for it and then thinking about all that you must have eaten. A mixture of blech! and yum!
BleedingEdge
Verified Member

Return to Crafts

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login