It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:42 pm
Change font size
Forum Home Public Orcs

Orcs

Sparring, whether the target or 'fring fighter'

All things yrkin. A place for Staff and players alike to use this space to coordinate RPTs and in-game events. Please keep in-character information off of this board.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: Sparring, whether the target or 'fring fighter'

Postby Snapdragon » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:49 pm

To be fair though, this is Alpha. Things -need- to be tweaked and examined to be able to decide if that's a feature that should be added or removed at a later date.
Snapdragon
Dwarf Recruit

Postby EltanimRas » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:57 pm

MrDvAnt wrote:The problem is that people come into a game that is specifically made to be one thing and try to change it to what they want when they're only playing it for lack of something that suits them better rather than because of actual interest in the game the way it is.

Sure. But if my ideas for 'something that would suit me better' all start out with 'just like SoI, except ...', then I should probably just play SoI.

Maybe grumble a little here and there on the forums, but play. ;)
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby MrT2G » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:50 pm

I think a big part of this is players not understanding or caring to factor in the role intelligence plays in skills now.

If you want your character to learn fast, roll int higher.
A curvy, copper-haired woman drops a small, strawberry-blonde toddler girl.
MrT2G
Elf Recruit

Postby toofast » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:26 pm

MrT2G wrote:I think a big part of this is players not understanding or caring to factor in the role intelligence plays in skills now.

If you want your character to learn fast, roll int higher.

It's not even that big of a role.

- someone who is playing a char with peak int
- someone who has played a com with poor int in the past
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby MrDvAnt » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:34 pm

Yeah, my current character has peak int and doesn't seem to learn any faster than previous characters.
MrDvAnt
Honored Elf

Postby Matt » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:58 pm

Yea it doesn't seem to make much of a difference on the actual speed you skill up at.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Throttle » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:44 pm

I think it affects the length of the skillgain timers, but it's hard to take advantage of that unless one goes balls to the walls twinkery and lives a spar-sleep-spar-sleep-spar-sleep life. Normally, nobody fights often enough for the skill timers to really matter in regards to combat skillgains.

The timers matter more for crafting and skills like sneak and hunting as you can actually use these often enough to benefit from shorter timers. If int affects the actual odds of a combat skill going up when used, the difference isn't big enough to be gamechanging or even worthwhile really.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby Canawa » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:46 am

Throttle wrote:I think it affects the length of the skillgain timers, but it's hard to take advantage of that unless one goes balls to the walls twinkery and lives a spar-sleep-spar-sleep-spar-sleep life. Normally, nobody fights often enough for the skill timers to really matter in regards to combat skillgains.

The timers matter more for crafting and skills like sneak and hunting as you can actually use these often enough to benefit from shorter timers. If int affects the actual odds of a combat skill going up when used, the difference isn't big enough to be gamechanging or even worthwhile really.

Pft, doesn't make a difference for my timers. I haven't branched a single thing in like a week and a half of my playing, and I live the sleep-craft-sleep-craft-sleep-craft lifestyle.
Canawa
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Real » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:12 pm

Canawa wrote:I haven't branched a single thing in like a week and a half of my playing, and I live the sleep-craft-sleep-craft-sleep-craft lifestyle.

This is an unusual circumstance. My PC has been around for about as long and branched thirty-four times. Chances are:

- You don't have a high enough skill level to unlock more crafts
- The particular craftset you're trying has a low branch rate and you have bad luck (unlikely after a week)
- The craftset is undeveloped and has only starters

Some notes to help :]

- You don't need an OOC timer to branch, only a skillcheck
- Once you branch, there's a brief timer until the next where you must be online and not idling
- Certain crafts have a higher propensity to branch than others, this usually involves testing on the player's part
- Some of the crafts within a set will be crazy difficult to find, usually the last few you have left to branch even at Familiar

In terms of the skillup timers, they're different than the branch ones. I don't know if Intelligence affects them, as far as I knew it granted you a bonus on your invisible skillup dice rolls. Like (fake example), when you fail a Deflect check against an equal opponent there's a 0.2% chance of skillup, but with each tier of intelligence above average your chances get a bit better, it's just hard to notice because it's difficult to skillup in the first place and the really determined people will see the dice rolled enough times to get the skillups regardless. Think 0.4% at Great Int. /end speculation
Everything gets smaller now the further that I go
Towards the mouth and the reunion of the known and the unknown
Consider yourself lucky if you think of it as home
You can move mountains with your misery if you don't
Real
Elf Recruit

Postby Matt » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:26 pm

Canawa wrote:
Throttle wrote:I think it affects the length of the skillgain timers, but it's hard to take advantage of that unless one goes balls to the walls twinkery and lives a spar-sleep-spar-sleep-spar-sleep life. Normally, nobody fights often enough for the skill timers to really matter in regards to combat skillgains.

Pft, doesn't make a difference for my timers. I haven't branched a single thing in like a week and a half of my playing, and I live the sleep-craft-sleep-craft-sleep-craft lifestyle.

What craftset?
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Canawa » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:24 am

Real wrote:
Canawa wrote:I haven't branched a single thing in like a week and a half of my playing, and I live the sleep-craft-sleep-craft-sleep-craft lifestyle.

This is an unusual circumstance. My PC has been around for about as long and branched thirty-four times. Chances are:

- You don't have a high enough skill level to unlock more crafts
- The particular craftset you're trying has a low branch rate and you have bad luck (unlikely after a week)
- The craftset is undeveloped and has only starters

Some notes to help :]

- You don't need an OOC timer to branch, only a skillcheck
- Once you branch, there's a brief timer until the next where you must be online and not idling
- Certain crafts have a higher propensity to branch than others, this usually involves testing on the player's part
- Some of the crafts within a set will be crazy difficult to find, usually the last few you have left to branch even at Familiar

In terms of the skillup timers, they're different than the branch ones. I don't know if Intelligence affects them, as far as I knew it granted you a bonus on your invisible skillup dice rolls. Like (fake example), when you fail a Deflect check against an equal opponent there's a 0.2% chance of skillup, but with each tier of intelligence above average your chances get a bit better, it's just hard to notice because it's difficult to skillup in the first place and the really determined people will see the dice rolled enough times to get the skillups regardless. Think 0.4% at Great Int. /end speculation

You can do that? What's the point of the OOC timer then?
Canawa
Dwarf Recruit

Postby tehkory » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:33 pm

Canawa wrote:You can do that? What's the point of the OOC timer then?

So people don't flood the market with goods.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Canawa » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:47 pm

tehkory wrote:

I guess I just don't understand. I can do an craft with an OOC timer, and once I have created that object I can do that same craft but I won't get an item out of it?
Canawa
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Raukran » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:52 pm

Canawa wrote:
tehkory wrote:

I guess I just don't understand. I can do an craft with an OOC timer, and once I have created that object I can do that same craft but I won't get an item out of it?

You can craft until you're at 24hrs/1 day of craft timers. You can go over it if you use a craft with a big timer before the 24 hour mark, but you can't craft after it's reached.
I am not responsible for the actions of my characters.
Raukran
Unverified User

Postby Justanothacivy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:24 pm

Getting derailed. Perhaps split and start a new thread about skill point gains and branching? Thanks.
Things that made me smile:
Icarus wrote:I'm going to kill the next character I see doing stuff like that. I'm not joking.
Justanothacivy
Honored Dwarf

Previous

Return to Orcs

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login