It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:39 am
Change font size
Forum Home Public Utterby

Utterby

Ongull Adasson

A place for Staff and players alike to use to coordinate RPTs and in-game events. No IC info, please.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: Ongull Adasson

Postby EltanimRas » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:26 am

I like all of these prospects. :D

Attached are some old SoI texts that mention Fram and Scatha; I don't know offhand exactly how they match up to canon, but perhaps they might prove useful and/or inspiring to our current loremasters?
Attachments
Fram and Scatha.zip
(123.97 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby Rivean » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:20 am

Frigga wrote:I think the difficulty here (and what I was trying to avoid, ultimately) was not turning Ongull into a role that should likely be filled by a character from canon, thus creating the ability to draw in actual Middle Earth lore. As such, I'll take the suggestion to pare down the story a bit.

It seems we're all on the same page here - would it still be helpful if I sent you an edited version of your text?
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby Frigga » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:33 pm

Sure, PM it over. :D
Frigga
The Ice Queen

Postby Hazgarn » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:45 pm

And I am working on one of these stories, by the way. It's just taking a while. :)
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

I am also a Guide. Feel free to contact me through AIM or PM with questions about the game.
Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby Forceknight » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:13 pm

My current character is the sort of rural, folklore-loving type that no doubt would have grown up on Ongull stories, so this project really captured my imagination. Great work, Frigga!

Here's another, slightly shorter, submission:

The Three Fishermen & The Wizard

Three aging fishermen had travelled far out of their way on a quest to angle for fish untouched by other men, and although none of them spoke it aloud they all feared they had become wildly lost. They had found themselves deep in an eerie marsh and just as the weakest of their party was about to vocalize his despair they discovered they had walked to the edge of a strange, crescent-shaped lake.

Baiting their rods they cast out eagerly, certain that this was surely an angling spot not used by other men for a great stretch of time. Their travels were rewarded with an abundance of large, fleshy fish and that night the group sat around a roaring fire, feasting hungrily on the fine catch of the day.

An old man, far more ancient than even these wizened fishermen, suddenly was at the edge of their fire, startling the party. Shocked as they were to see such an old man in what they thought were untouched lands they invited him to eat from their catch, and so the ancient man sat with them, thanking them for their hospitality.

When the meal was finished the old man spoke, saying, “Thank you for your kindness, strangers. I am the Wizard of the Marsh, and for your generosity and good nature I will grant each of you your hearts desire.”

The most timid of the three was first to speak, clearly frightened by the strange old mans revelation, declaring, “I wish I was home, and that I was young again!”

The wizened Wizard nodded, and it was done.

The two remaining men looked to each other cautiously as their friend disappeared with a bright flash, spending a long moment in thoughtful silence. One spoke, finally, saying, “I wish I was home, young, and that I could bring in a fine catch like this anywhere in the land.”

The Wizard nodded a second time, presenting the man a gnarled, oak rod before he too disappeared in a flash.

The third, the oldest and wisest of the three, bowed his head to the mysterious wizard and said, “I wish that you would send me home, that I would have my youth again, that I could bring in a fine catch like this anywhere,” he paused dramatically, then grabbed bawdily at his crotch and shouted, “and that my manhood would be the largest in all the land!”

The Wizard flashed the hint of a smile, nodded, and turned the third man into Ongull Adasson!
Forceknight
Forum Hobbit

Postby Frigga » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:51 pm

:nom:
Frigga
The Ice Queen

Postby Icarus » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:36 am

:nom:

I want that on the Wiki >_>
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Songweaver » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:08 pm

EltanimRas wrote:I like all of these prospects. :D

Attached are some old SoI texts that mention Fram and Scatha; I don't know offhand exactly how they match up to canon, but perhaps they might prove useful and/or inspiring to our current loremasters?

I've forgotten so much of what I wrote for Northlands. It seems like everyone else has more of my old stuff than I do!

The tale of Fram and Scatha seems relevant, and is a large of enough story that it would likely be known in the current region.

IMO, the more of old SOI is tied to new SOI via lore/stories/etc, the better.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby MrDvAnt » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:43 pm

Songweaver wrote:

I've forgotten so much of what I wrote for Northlands. It seems like everyone else has more of my old stuff than I do!

The tale of Fram and Scatha seems relevant, and is a large of enough story that it would likely be known in the current region.

I think that could be interesting. What was the time frame of the old SoI compared to now?
MrDvAnt
Honored Elf

Postby Songweaver » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:12 am

MrDvAnt wrote:
Songweaver wrote:

I think that could be interesting. What was the time frame of the old SoI compared to now?

About four-hundred years prior.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Previous

Return to Utterby

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login