It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:51 pm
Change font size
Forum Home Public Orcs

Orcs

Hiding/Sneaking Without RP

All things yrkin. A place for Staff and players alike to use this space to coordinate RPTs and in-game events. Please keep in-character information off of this board.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Hiding/Sneaking Without RP

Postby krelm » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:23 am

When did it become okay to hide and sneak in public, with PCs present, clearly just trying to twink the skills up, without RPing it in the least?
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Re: Hiding/Sneaking Without RP

Postby WorkerDrone » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:26 am

There was never a time when this was okay.
I hope you die right now, will you drink my chemical?

Brian wrote:See, the thing that I admire about WorkerDrone is that he's an optimist!

:lol:
WorkerDrone
Guide

Postby Icarus » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:41 am

These people should be reported so we can nogain them.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby krelm » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:43 am

Man, I have a laundry list of them.
One among the fence.
krelm

Postby Saellyn » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:16 pm

I'd report them myself but, honestly, I don't care enough. If they were hiding, sneaking, and using that to try to kill other pcs then I might be worried about it.
Saellyn
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Eru » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:34 pm

Saellyn wrote:I'd report them myself but, honestly, I don't care enough. If they were hiding, sneaking, and using that to try to kill other pcs then I might be worried about it.

They likely are, those 'other pcs' just don't happen to be in the same sphere. :roll:
Eru
Guide

Postby Justanothacivy » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:43 pm

krelm wrote:When did it become okay to hide and sneak in public, with PCs present, clearly just trying to twink the skills up, without RPing it in the least?

I'd like to know if there was no RP in the first place? Are we checking their feel, thinks, and hmotes?

Yes I'm playing the devil's advocate here.
No, I don't think doing something without RP is cool.

These are creatures that live in a hostile environment, would make sense for them to be stealthy even behind their own gates if they were avoiding conflict or were watching and listening for any chatter that could get back to the right orc and get them rewarded.

Let's just ease off the rubberstamp here a bit?

Eru you came off as a bit snarky if not hostile. What was the point of your post again?
Things that made me smile:
Icarus wrote:I'm going to kill the next character I see doing stuff like that. I'm not joking.
Justanothacivy
Honored Dwarf

Postby krelm » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:23 pm

If it was once every like, week that I saw it, I wouldn't bring it up.

As it stands, there are about 3/4 PCs that use sneak instead of movement commands, no matter where they are. PCs in the room? Sneak with no RP. NPCs? Sneak with no RP. Every. Single. Time. No RP, just command spamming.

How do I know it's without thinks/feels/hmotes? Because it always follows another command.

put knife bin
nod ema
sneak up

With no lag in between. If there were hmotes, they would fail the roll at least once in the 200 times I've seen it happen. They haven't. I'm beyond positive that it's just people trying to twink up their sneak skill.
One among the fence.
krelm

Postby Justanothacivy » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:29 pm

Sounds like a chance to encourage proper roleplay!

They not interested in interaction and prefer solo RP... well meh. Common courtesy to at least throw -one- emote.

Like I said, playing Devil's advocate earlier, I've noticed it too and it's annoying, I agree.
Icarus wrote:I'm going to kill the next character I see doing stuff like that. I'm not joking.
Justanothacivy
Honored Dwarf

Postby Hawkwind » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:48 pm

Justanothacivy wrote:Sounds like a chance to encourage proper roleplay!

They not interested in interaction and prefer solo RP... well meh. Common courtesy to at least throw -one- emote.

Like I said, playing Devil's advocate earlier, I've noticed it too and it's annoying, I agree.

The game is not roleplay encouraged, it's roleplay enforced. Give them permanent or long lasting no-gains, prevent others from doing it.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby Justanothacivy » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:53 pm

True, you could smash their fingers with a hammer. Or. And just hear me out to this. Act like not everyone has an RPI background?
Justanothacivy
Honored Dwarf

Postby Hawkwind » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:00 pm

The majority do, the majority known what is expected of them, they just do not care beyond their own needs and wants, we give them to much leniency. Stamp it out before it becomes endemic. Foster a culture of inclusive roleplay.

And hear me out on this too, wait for it, yeah it's definitely coming, almost got it, less patronizing and condescending posts please?
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby krelm » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:01 pm

The problem is the people who know they shouldn't do it do it anyway, like Hawkwind said, and then newbies follow their example because they think it's okay.

It isn't okay. It will never be okay.
One among the fence.
krelm

Postby Icarus » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:07 pm

The point has been made folks. Now, let's be constructive for the new people while I wait for a list from folks.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Eru » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:45 pm

Justanothacivy wrote:Eru you came off as a bit snarky if not hostile. What was the point of your post again?

Hmm didn't mean it to be, so apologies for that? Anyways the point of my point of my post was that not partaking in player killing does not give the player free reign to hide/sneak everywhere. That's nothing against Saellyn or his opinions, I just don't believe that's a good reason to not report someone.

On the other side of the coin, the players may be pretty fresh to the game. Maybe pulling them aside to coach them towards a better way might work before tossing Icarus a list.
Eru
Guide

Postby jdidds » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:18 am

So just to be clear, what is actually expected when you are in such a situation? I usually RP attempting to blend in to the crowd or something, or passing behind a group that is gathered within the square or something like that before using the sneak or hide command.
Code: Select all
There is currently 1 soul braving the world all alone.
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Postby MrT2G » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:29 am

jdidds wrote:So just to be clear, what is actually expected when you are in such a situation? I usually RP attempting to blend in to the crowd or something, or passing behind a group that is gathered within the square or something like that before using the sneak or hide command.

Emotes. Sounds like you got it :P

I usually roleplay becoming suspicious of people constantly sneaking around and encourage others to do so.
A curvy, copper-haired woman drops a small, strawberry-blonde toddler girl.
MrT2G
Elf Recruit

Postby Mavinero » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:22 pm

This whole thing seems pretty silly to me.
A small, shell-grey-eyed male begins to flicker and flash, turning to a red color as such happens. Without warning, a slim, silver-hilted lightsaber hilt ignites with a ruby-hued length. "Incorrect. I am programmed for queries, not pleasure."
Mavinero
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Patty » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:13 pm

Multiple times I've had folks sneak out while I'm having a conversation with them or hide in the assembly hall while also having a chat. At least throw me a token emote if you're going to do this so I don't waste my effort.
<****** / ^^^^^^ / ||||||>
The head is there.
Patty
Honored Dwarf

Postby Dirgs » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:58 pm

Amen to that.
Dirgs
Forum Hobbit

Postby Brian » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:42 pm

Patty wrote:Multiple times I've had folks sneak out while I'm having a conversation with them or hide in the assembly hall while also having a chat. At least throw me a token emote if you're going to do this so I don't waste my effort.

This is an excellent way to train your hiding/sneaking in a non-lethal environment, which is probably why it's happening. It's especially good if they throw out that token emote once they're already hidden, because then it will test the skill. :roll:
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby AdamBlue » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:28 am

The only time when I sneak away from a conversation is when I need to go IRL. >.>
AdamBlue
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Frigga » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:35 am

People spamming hiding and sneaking in very public areas tempts me to start flagging things nohide, just saying. ;)
Frigga
The Ice Queen

Postby mongwen » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:29 am

Speaking of hiding and sneaking. I have learned hide and when you're in a group you autosneak while hiding (which would seem to cause that skill to have to be worked), so why has sneak not opened yet? Hide's all the way to familiar and I still technically can't skulk. Not precisely related to the thread and no I'm not one of the hiders in the warren, but it's annoying.
A yellow-eyed, blotchy-fleshed brown uruk slowly slunks over, sneakily swaggering with a sleek step.
mongwen
Honored Dwarf

Postby Brian » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:35 am

mongwen wrote:Speaking of hiding and sneaking. I have learned hide and when you're in a group you autosneak while hiding (which would seem to cause that skill to have to be worked), so why has sneak not opened yet? Hide's all the way to familiar and I still technically can't skulk. Not precisely related to the thread and no I'm not one of the hiders in the warren, but it's annoying.

Just the way that learning skills through doing them works. You haven't reached the point where your sneak has gotten to an opening level. It will likely come along as well in time.
Brian
Honored Elf

Next

Return to Orcs

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login