It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:36 pm
Change font size
Forum Home Public Crafts

Crafts

Straight Artistry Craft Ideas & Existing

Suggest crafts, talk about existing crafts, debate the finer points of your craftiness.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Straight Artistry Craft Ideas & Existing

Postby WildGiller » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:20 am

I don't know if there are any of these crafts but I had some thoughts.. Canvases, are a thing which ye olde artists used to be able to make and preferred to make themselves more often than not.

I'd like to think they only require an artistry check. It's basically taking a tanned hide, cutting a square from it of the right size. Then, you get it wet and nail it out flat on wooden planks, trimming the edges off. It dries flat and stiff.

I'm not sure what items exist that could be used to 'prime' it, and I'm not sure I have all the item descriptions accurate below, but this is just a thing I'm tossing out there for people with Artistry. It creates a canvas which you can 'decorate'

Artistry: cut hide-canvas
Held or in Room (Partially Consumed): 2 of a medium, $leathercolorcolor square of leather, or a large, $leathercolorcolor square of leather.
Held (Reusable): a pair of $metaltype shears.
In Room (Reusable): a broad workbench.
Apprentice Artistry skill required.
Produced: An unprimed hide canvas.
OOC Delay Timer: 30 RL Minutes

Artistry: prime hide-canvas
Held or in Room (Partially Consumed): An unprimed hide canvas.
Held or in Room (Partially Consumed): 2 of A $woodtype wooden plank
Held or in Room (Partially Consumed): a pile of $metaltype nails.
Held (Reusable): a carpenter's hammer.
Familiar Artistry skill required.
Produced: A stretched hide canvas.
OOC Delay Timer: 60 RL Minutes
WildGiller
Honored Dwarf

Re: Straight Artistry Craft Ideas & Existing

Postby Icarus » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:50 am

You know, I've got no objections to it.

Staff, if one of you want to play with some artistry stuff, feel free to give a crack at this.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Mithrandur » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:46 pm

Icarus wrote:You know, I've got no objections to it.

Staff, if one of you want to play with some artistry stuff, feel free to give a crack at this.

For weaponcraft there's already a planishing bench but it has yet to be loaded into anywhere in utterby. This works for weaponcraft and artistry in that i assume it buffs the weapon and makes it shiny and pretty to look at. Not sure though
Mithrandur
Honored Dwarf

Postby Zargen » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:17 am

Id like stonecraftinf+artistry statues. Or in the case of orcs. terrible stone idols of horribe nasties. Stone jewelry too would be neat.
Zargen
Honored Dwarf

Postby WildGiller » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:38 am

I'd just really like to see some straight Artistry crafts. All the other crafts 'use' artistry to make higher tier stuff. But it's supposed to be a hobby skill you can elect to take to decorate other things. It's be amazing to have a couple 'artist' only crafts to increase your skill via 'practice'

Otherwise, a hobby artist is going to be drawing crude happy faces on other peoples wooden cups forever XD
WildGiller
Honored Dwarf

Postby WildGiller » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:51 pm

Icarus wrote:You know, I've got no objections to it.

I'LL HELP :shock:

Ermehgerd ..wants to use decorate code.. put things on things.. so bad..
WildGiller
Honored Dwarf

Postby Hazgarn » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:38 pm

Scrimshaw seems like a good craft for artistry. Are boar tusks actually used for anything else?
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

I am also a Guide. Feel free to contact me through AIM or PM with questions about the game.
Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby Taurgalas » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:33 pm

Not yet. I'd love to see them used for hunting horns, etc. Rams horns can be used for more melodious horn instruments, too.
[Petition:***] Why is there a pretty pink pony with doe eyes and a party-balloon cutie mark in the group?

*** orc player name edited out for his/her own protection.
Taurgalas
Master Ent

Postby Foxtrot » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:58 pm

do artistry kits work?

EVERYTHING I try to decorate is not an 'end product' of a craft and therefore un-decoratable.
Foxtrot
Forum Hobbit

Postby Matt » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:00 pm

Yes, they do work. But you can't decorate a blade before it's assembled to be a sword.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Foxtrot » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:07 pm

Idea: graffiti

-Existed ever since one person had something to say that he/she felt needed to be publicized. ("Sydromachos has an ass as big as a cistern." Ancient Athens graffiti.)
-Needs literacy if you want to use words. Otherwise it should just be pictures.
Foxtrot
Forum Hobbit

Postby Droll » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:17 pm

Matt wrote:Yes, they do work. But you can't decorate a blade before it's assembled to be a sword.

If Foxtrot is who I think they are, I've sat in a room with them trying to use artistry on a finished sword, no go.
[A burning comet headed straight for your head is online. Use NOTIFY to reply in kind.]
Droll
Honored Dwarf

Postby Matt » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:43 pm

Droll wrote:
Matt wrote:Yes, they do work. But you can't decorate a blade before it's assembled to be a sword.

If Foxtrot is who I think they are, I've sat in a room with them trying to use artistry on a finished sword, no go.

There are engraved swords IG. I've engraved one myself. Probably just doing it wrong.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Hazgarn » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:56 pm

Foxtrot wrote:do artistry kits work?

EVERYTHING I try to decorate is not an 'end product' of a craft and therefore un-decoratable.

I haven't used artistry myself, but I've seen items in-game that have been decorated.

1. What kind of kit are you using? I know there are a few different kinds, and it may be that you're using isn't the right type of kit for the material you're attempting to decorate.
2. What syntax are you using?
3. Is there a minimum skill level required to use the kit? I know some of the armor/weapon care kits have those. (You can probably check this with evaluate.)
4. What is the item you're trying to decorate? It's possible that this specific item or instance is bugged, or hasn't been flagged properly.
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

I am also a Guide. Feel free to contact me through AIM or PM with questions about the game.
Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby Sabrelon » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:39 pm

Foxtrot wrote:Idea: graffiti

-Existed ever since one person had something to say that he/she felt needed to be publicized. ("Sydromachos has an ass as big as a cistern." Ancient Athens graffiti.)
-Needs literacy if you want to use words. Otherwise it should just be pictures.

I don't know how applicable graffiti might be, considering the setting, but wall paintings and wood carving for buildings would be extremely fun to play around with.

In Atonement there were crafts that allowed you to create a 'spray paint' object in a room that could be further decorated with the DECORATE command, essentially making murals and graffiti possible. I was able to play around with it extensively, and it made the world feel much more colorful and interesting.

I think applying something similar in SOI would make the Artistry craft way more viable as a skill you could base a character around, instead of as something you take in conjunction with other skills to make them interesting.

Something along the lines of a craft that started "A basic carving" that could then be further decorated into an actual descriptive object, and or something like "The beginnings of a mural" could be used for wall paintings (both of which are extremely basic and not at all what I'd actually recommend using IG).

That being said, the only real way to increase Artistry once you had it was to use it to create jewelry. If I remember correctly, the DECORATE command does not check against Artistry, and that staff has to judge whether or not the quality of the art actually reflects the characters Artistry skill.

Which basically means that right now there's no real way to increase Artistry. I'd actually like to figure out a way to turn this into a craft suite, as opposed to just a secondary skill. So, any other ideas?
Sabrelon
Forum Hobbit

Return to Crafts

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login