It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:27 pm
Change font size
Forum Home Public Orcs

Orcs

Orcish wish list

All things yrkin. A place for Staff and players alike to use this space to coordinate RPTs and in-game events. Please keep in-character information off of this board.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: Orcish wish list

Postby Saellyn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:08 pm

Sahoj wrote:I wish there was an option during the COMMENCE sequence that made sure every orc entering the game was given (forced to learn) one rudimentary craft skill at the very lowest level of their choice so they could be baseline useful towards the war effort when not press ganged into patrol.

Skills would be Woodcraft, Stonecraft, Metalcraft and Leathercraft.

Possibly Textilecraft.

You could always retcon in at the current crafters with a small skill boost if they chose one in creation or give them a free additional.

No.
Saellyn
Dwarf Recruit

Postby MrDvAnt » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:26 pm

Saellyn wrote:
Sahoj wrote:I wish there was an option during the COMMENCE sequence that made sure every orc entering the game was given (forced to learn) one rudimentary craft skill at the very lowest level of their choice so they could be baseline useful towards the war effort when not press ganged into patrol.

Possibly Textilecraft.

You could always retcon in at the current crafters with a small skill boost if they chose one in creation or give them a free additional.

No.

We also need to automatically have combat skills picked. In fact, lets have all characters be exactly the same.
MrDvAnt
Honored Elf

Postby Snapdragon » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:13 pm

Possibly Textilecraft.

Not even a little fond of this idea. I can see the logic behind it, but just as the war effort needs crafters, they also need warriors. Taking away a players free choice in a RPI mud would be, at least to me, the same thing as making us all play by a imm-enforced script. If you want your character to have some kind of crafting skill to make him/her/it useful to the war effort, then it's up to the player to decide that.
Snapdragon
Dwarf Recruit

Postby krelm » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:30 pm

There isn't really a point, when most crafts you can learn unskilled, if you know what you're doing.

Alternatively, you could pick a craft skill in chargen.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby Sahoj » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:32 pm

Saellyn wrote:We also need to automatically have combat skills picked. In fact, lets have all characters be exactly the same.

Not sure if troll is trolling - but I'll reply. I can engage in combat without combat skills (and get better at it). I can't cut down a tree without woodcrafting skills - period.

MrDvAnt wrote:Taking away a players free choice in a RPI mud would be, at least to me, the same thing as making us all play by a imm-enforced script. If you want your character to have some kind of crafting skill to make him/her/it useful to the war effort, then it's up to the player to decide that.

No one forces you to use any skills available to you. It is easy to ignore a [Novice] skill on your listings. I know I've learned [Novice] plumbing and sure as shit (pun) don't use it.

The other angle is to simply identify the most basic resource gathering/construction crafts and give them to everyone with an ability to succeed at a low to moderate rate.

krelm wrote:There isn't really a point, when most crafts you can learn unskilled, if you know what you're doing.

Please explain the method to learn each craft while unskilled.
Sahoj
Verified Member

Postby krelm » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:56 pm

Please explain the method to learn each craft while unskilled.

Every single skill in the RPI+ engine is able to be learned while unskilled, you just have to do it. Want bludgeon on your skill sheet? Use bludgeoning weapons until it shows up. Same for sneak, hide, first-aid, forage, and everything.

The trick with learning a craft unskilled is finding something that has a skill check, then doing it a bunch. Weapon and armorcrafting are the easiest to do, since using the mending/weapon care kits calls a check-- theoretically, with enough fixing of weapons and armor, you could open both skills.

Timberwright, etc, would be harder, since I can't think of anything off the top of my head that calls a skillcheck for them. It'd be better to be taught, but from my understanding there aren't any timberwrights, etc, so that wouldn't really work out.

If someone cares about it enough, they could probably write a support ticket with a craft idea for unskilled people to learn how to cut down trees (or whatever) and see what the staff has to say about it.

Or, someone could just convince someone else to roll an orc with woodcrafting.

Edit:

To note: learning a skill unskilled with sub-peak int takes FOREVER.
One among the fence.
krelm

Postby Mirage » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:17 pm

Sahoj wrote:Or, someone could just convince someone else to roll an orc with woodcrafting.

There is one. And I'm certain he'd show you a thing or two if you asked nicely, or not nicely, depending.
Typo of the month:
"<A Player> clears his throat again as he averts his gay from the paymaster."

Upon my death, please delete my browsing history and clear the cache. This is imperative.
Mirage
Verified Member

Postby Icarus » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:25 pm

Did we mention we added trees and crap to Mirkwood-Orc, as well as all the other fun stuff?
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Canawa » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:32 pm

Icarus wrote:Did we mention we added trees and crap to Mirkwood-Orc, as well as all the other fun stuff?

Trees? You know I love trees Mr. Icarus. Why had you not told me of these sooner?
Canawa
Dwarf Recruit

Postby WorkerDrone » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:49 pm

Alternatively, whenever your desire for a person in a sphere with that ONE SPECIFIC craft suite is so high you'd go on the board and A: Request someone roll one up for you or B: request the staff to make a coded change to force people to roll it up for you, it's probably time to retire your character instead and roll up a character with those desired suites yourself.
I hope you die right now, will you drink my chemical?

Brian wrote:See, the thing that I admire about WorkerDrone is that he's an optimist!

:lol:
WorkerDrone
Guide

Postby MrT2G » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:23 am

Icarus wrote:Did we mention we added trees and crap to Mirkwood-Orc, as well as all the other fun stuff?

Wuuuuuut? :P
A curvy, copper-haired woman drops a small, strawberry-blonde toddler girl.
MrT2G
Elf Recruit

Postby Sahoj » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:05 pm

I don't have any particular desire for any specific craft suite in the sphere and I'm more than impressed with the players currently portraying them.

The wish stems more from the fact that my new combat character feels like dead weight or a meat shield for its (what will probably be) first month of play via starting skill levels. It could probably use something to do to be useful in the meantime.

The wilds are very dangerous.

I can probably shorten said month to a few weeks if I don't lose interest prior. I don't want a badass - I just want a puncher's chance out there.

Do take my opinions with a dose of salt - I'm not even a week in.
Sahoj
Verified Member

Postby Saellyn » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:32 pm

Ironically brawling isn't sparring so I believe you actually learn skills faster in brawling.
Saellyn
Dwarf Recruit

Postby krelm » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:25 am

Saellyn wrote:Ironically brawling isn't sparring so I believe you actually learn skills faster in brawling.

You'd learn brawling and dodging. Deflect if you were holding a shield.
One among the fence.
krelm

Postby Saellyn » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:13 pm

krelm wrote:
Saellyn wrote:Ironically brawling isn't sparring so I believe you actually learn skills faster in brawling.

You'd learn brawling and dodging. Deflect if you were holding a shield.

Yeah, sorry I wasn't very clear with that.
Saellyn
Dwarf Recruit

Postby MrDvAnt » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:09 am

Will orcs be getting a combat trainer like the humans have?
MrDvAnt
Honored Elf

Postby Oblivion » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:35 am

We do have an npc trainer, but he tends to kill the people who spar him.

If you're talking about the 'arena' thing I've been reading about, no clue.
Oblivion
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Icarus » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:12 pm

Nimrod has to approve it for orcs before it goes in.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby MrDvAnt » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:07 pm

Icarus wrote:Nimrod has to approve it for orcs before it goes in.

Yes, the arena thing. *pokes nimrod*
MrDvAnt
Honored Elf

Postby Justanothacivy » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:27 pm

We actually don't have a trainer. The saw-toothed orc was always just a paymaster. It was just used to spar by some unfortunate blokes.

I'd actually rather not have some sort of thing like the arena in place. Weapon practice crafts allowed players, in the past, to be closet gnomes for about a month and some change, then emerge a vicious butterfly once their skills were very high.

With the Atonement code I believe that sort of thing can be controlled per requirements for gaining a skill point being different.

My wish is that any sort of practice craft or coded 'Arena' not raise a skill above Familiar.

Perhaps I missed the details of what Utterby actually has but my biggest pet peeve was the sheer amount of abuse the combat practice crafts saw in the past. That's my opinion with my limited understanding of the situation.
Things that made me smile:
Icarus wrote:I'm going to kill the next character I see doing stuff like that. I'm not joking.
Justanothacivy
Honored Dwarf

Postby Fulgrim » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:16 pm

It caps the three skills it'll raise (three counting whichever weapon skill and style you use during them) at Talented, which is about the level where people are better served diving into the action, and no further.
(Morgoth):
I had a part in everything.
Twice I destroyed the light and twice I failed.
I left ruin behind me when I returned.
But I also carried ruin with me.
She, the mistress of her own lust.
Fulgrim
Roleplay Admin

Postby krelm » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:17 pm

Justanothacivy wrote:We actually don't have a trainer. The saw-toothed orc was always just a paymaster. It was just used to spar by some unfortunate blokes.

I'd actually rather not have some sort of thing like the arena in place. Weapon practice crafts allowed players, in the past, to be closet gnomes for about a month and some change, then emerge a vicious butterfly once their skills were very high.

With the Atonement code I believe that sort of thing can be controlled per requirements for gaining a skill point being different.

My wish is that any sort of practice craft or coded 'Arena' not raise a skill above Familiar.

And also what Fulgrim said.

Perhaps I missed the details of what Utterby actually has but my biggest pet peeve was the sheer amount of abuse the combat practice crafts saw in the past. That's my opinion with my limited understanding of the situation.

From what I understand, it's a craft that gives you some massive timer (probably 24 hours?) and you have to emote while using it for it to up your skills. And also it tells you when you up said skills.

I wouldn't mind something similar, but it's not like there aren't enough orcs around to spar.
One among the fence.
krelm

Postby Songweaver » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:31 pm

The new sparring craft is nothing like the old ones. Here's how I designed it, in brief:

- Spars require two PCs to initiate the craft, and it gives each PC an 8 hour timer.
- Spars take 15 minutes and consist of five scripted rounds of combat.
- You will receive penalties if you don't roleplay frequently enough during your spar.
- The end of the craft will tell you if you have received any skill-gains, thus encouraging you to not continue sparring unnecessarily and instead go be an orc elsewhere instead.
- Sparring is not possible via craft if you are below 80% total health.
- You can get hurt sparring, but not enough to keep you out of commission from going to be able to do other things (like patrol or hunt).
- Arena Craft Sparring will take skills up to Talented level. Now that practice weapons have been fixed, coded Sparring with practice weapons (which hurt a lot more) also will only take you up to Talented level in your skills. Anybody being able to raise above Talented level previously via sparring was due to a bug, and it will not be possible again.
- There is a failsafe in case the MUD crashes while you are sparring. When you log back in, you'd just type 'end spar' to go ahead and reset the in-use Arena, get your timer, and possibly get your skillgains.
- The rate of skillgain is based on a number of variables, including your current skill level. The newer a skill is for you, or the closer that skill is to Talented, the harder it will be for you to skillgain via the craft.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby Oblivion » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:30 pm

Here's a wish, move the damn bonefixer back into a public area for crying out loud.

Kind of ridiculous for sparring fractures or infected wounds to only be able to be treated when there happens to be a pc leader on kind enough to walk you into the Officer's Cave if they feel like bothering. Or the rare PC healer comes around and notices that you're falling on your face every two minutes or so.
Oblivion
Dwarf Recruit

Postby krelm » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:47 pm

On a related note, does anyone else find it amusing that no PC made an orkish healer because the NPC healer pretty much made them obsolete, and now that said NPC is unavailable, everyone's screwed?
One among the fence.
krelm

PreviousNext

Return to Orcs

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login