Change font size

General Discussion

Stellar RP and RPP

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Stellar RP and RPP

Postby Troubadour » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:33 pm

From Fulgrim

Think doesn't really cause us to give out RPPs. It's your roleplay. However think let's us know that something is happening, and gives us the -opportunity- to snoop or goto the scene itself and WATCH you roleplay, so we can decide if you're deserving of one. We of course still award people RPP even if they don't think. Lots of people don't and have been rewarded because they have stellar RP.

And lots of people have been like, after us watching a scene and being like "THIS IS THE SCENE THAT GOT YOU YOUR SECOND RPP" got rewarded that way, and we'd only been able to acknowledge that scene or know it was happening because we were given subtle indications of it through thoughts.

Thoughts are a powerful tool ... not because it's the only way you'll get RPP.

I didn't want to pull the topic on Thoughts off on a tangent, so I've created a new one.

What has to occur in order for staff to watch RP? Combat, thoughts, petitions, set status, RPTs? What denotes STELLAR RP?
Isn't role-play like art and therefore subjective? Does the staff watch each and every person's RP? And if they don't then why have RPP points?

Taken from SOI wiki -

Monthly Roleplay Review

1st RPP: You have demonstrated a solid grasp of the game's commands, its setting and play your character to fit within its unique canon. You clearly understand the difference between In-Character and Out-of-Character motivations and actions. You use commands, such as emote, and think effectively and do not play the game purely as though it were a hack-and-slash MMORPG. Additionally, you have demonstrated to the Staff that you are reliable and consistent in activity, role-play, and have proven yourself to be a contributive member of the game community in your play and behavior. This also assumes that you have not committed any rule or policy infractions for at least a month, or longer on a case-to-case basis on infractions.

Should this not indicate that after a month's role-play and a player has not done anything glaringly OOC, that every character that's survived 1 month in game be awarded RPP?

And if you are not awarded such, then will staff take you in privately and give you a monthly review to show and give details as to what you can do to improve?
Eugene wrote:
You want to be a skipping stone, making a myriad of ripples along the way.
Troubadour
Forum Hobbit

Re: Stellar RP and RPP

Postby Fulgrim » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:43 pm

Most people manage to gain their first RPP without many problems. Barring OOC grievances performed between starting their first month and ending it, they probably end up getting the yes vote from me. The second RPP is a little more subjective, but I would probably vote it given as soon as possible unless there was a reason for voting "no" otherwise, and if there was I would give feedback privately.

The third RPP and beyond is subjective. We all have different opinions of what denotes "stellar" RP. We all think about what this person has played in terms of characters, and if their capability of playing races and roles that are unlocked at the third, fourth and fifth RPP levels are in line with each other. If they aren't in our eyes, and we can't reach a consensus about it, they aren't awarded that month.
(Morgoth):
I had a part in everything.
Twice I destroyed the light and twice I failed.
I left ruin behind me when I returned.
But I also carried ruin with me.
She, the mistress of her own lust.
Fulgrim
Roleplay Admin

Postby Troubadour » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:52 pm

And you do this for every single character? How do you find the time?

Haven't seen an RPP to date so how does one find out what they are doing wrong?
Eugene wrote:
Troubadour
Forum Hobbit

Postby Fulgrim » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:59 pm

We're just getting started on really examining RPP and who should be getting it, since we're all new hirings. I'm sure if some of you check your score in the coming months, you might see some changes. ;)

ETA: Re: how do I find the time.

I have a lot of free time...d-don't make this more awkward for me. :oops:
(Morgoth):
Fulgrim
Roleplay Admin

Postby Throttle » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:06 pm

The way it was done on ARPI and PRPI was that there would be a monthly RPP review where every RPA would provide a list of names they wanted to award and then each player is briefly discussed. Sometimes clanleads were asked to provide a list of nominees as well.

I personally didn't pay much attention to the actual nominate command as it was clear that about half them were just cases of friends nominating each other, and that nobody ever nominated controversial or evil characters while everybody's-friend types got a ton because they were nice to everyone.

There's not very much to do about off-peak players unless staff is present at those times, though those players can help themselves a lot by writing board posts, journal entries and otherwise making their actions and motivations reach beyond their playtimes. Being an off-peak player myself at times, this has helped me feel a little less invisible.

If you write a journal entry, use the status or plan commands to let staff know or they might never find out as they otherwise have to manually check people's journals individually for new entries and there's no way to cover everyone.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby Hawkwind » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:12 pm

From my own experience as a staffer and as a player it can work like this.

Thinks attract the attention of the staff.
Your RP gets them interested.
Your continued use of roleplay gets your an RP.

ETA it need not be more complicated than that.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby tehkory » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:56 pm

Hawkwind wrote:From my own experience as a staffer and as a player it can work like this.

Caveat: I'm not playing. I want to. I intend to. I just need to find that sudden push that brings me back.

ETA: And this is nobody's fault but mine, for choosing to take up a certain task, finishing it, and then losing all my notes on it/needing to recreate my work. That kills my will to accomplish something for the second time, always, and it's all on me.

I'm a pretty firm believer(as I've shown everywhere else) in systems. You -need- systems to avoid favoritism, not just in current Staff(that you may or may not approve of at the time(I do)), but in FUTURE Staff.

Atonement and Parallel had a system for MONTHLY RPP review that the public knew about. It had -definitions- what earned you -each- level of RP, less about qualitative 'I-like-you' and 'I-like-your-PC' and more about specific behaviors that weren't 'stylistic,' but certainly, objectively added to the game. They also had limits for when RPP could be handed out, with a minimum of "once per month," or else "considered for when your PC was lost."

If you don't have a -system- for handing out RPP, or you can't explain in a paragraph what that system is...consider imitating this.

That said:
Fulgrim wrote:if there was I would give feedback privately.

Feedback for -why- I received an RPP(I've rarely received this), and for why I -didn't- are appreciated, and OUGHT to be part of the system. Perhaps the first more than the second, IMO.

ETAA: No, really. I'd full-mouth deep tongue kiss you if you gave me feedback either way. "You got an RPP because X, but you need to do Y, especially if you're looking for RPP#Z in a month." Or, "I like A, but B need work, and C's a no-no, so no RPP for this month."
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Troubadour » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:10 pm

So, just because I am looking at this from the point of view that this is ALPHA (TIA) and while I've been part of SOI previously and another RPI before then that wasn't Arm. I did not however go to ARPI or PRPI. There are some RP tools that are new I'm just learning about and new players might benefit from them. I am someone that is fairly set in the old school of play and so while most of this is not going to change my opinion of RPPs maybe there can be ways to help others gain knowledge so they can get access to premium character roles. Would it be beneficial to post these commands on the WIKI with the information on RPPs?

Well, actually, as I see it, if I choose not to use the think command and RP needs to become more stellar after each successive earned RPP, then, yes, it does become more complicated. I really don't want to have the pressure of finding ways to gain the staffs attention in order to maybe get the chance to gain a point in order to play a better character I want in the future.

Reviewing the info on RPP on the WIKI in regards to the successive points after the 1st, THINK is BOLD-ED and mentioned, a lot! Does that fact not give reason as to why I am concerned over it since I don't choose to use that particular command?

Really, I think staff should reward the player by making the character they have at the moment better. That's definitely more appealing to me and would likely motivate players with keeping longer lasting characters. All bonuses with-in reason of course.

I personally didn't pay much attention to the actual nominate command as it was clear that about half them were just cases of friends nominating each other, and that nobody ever nominated controversial or evil characters while everybody's-friend types got a ton because they were nice to everyone.

Appreciate your concise post, Throttle. Thank you.

Nominate command is somewhat concerning to me especially in regards to it just being used by friends for friends. Do other staff disregard nominates?

Off-peak players

Likely have it worse off in regards to RPP then most. Suggestions or changes to RPP policy to help alleviate that?
Eugene wrote:
Troubadour
Forum Hobbit

Postby krelm » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:19 pm

Kory wrote:I just need to find that sudden push that brings me back.

Play an orc. Problem solved.

Kory wrote:ETAA: No, really. I'd full-mouth deep tongue kiss you if you gave me feedback either way. "You got an RPP because X, but you need to do Y, especially if you're looking for RPP#Z in a month." Or, "I like A, but B need work, and C's a no-no, so no RPP for this month."

Seconded. Not the kissing part, but the feedback part.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby Sabrelon » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:25 pm

In the past I've had staff elsewhere be more than willing to lay out ways to get to the higher RPP levels when asked. I don't know how responsive everyone here'd be, but it'd be awesome if that was just part of the process one way or another.
Sabrelon
Forum Hobbit

Postby Troubadour » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:27 pm

Systems - Interesting, not sure if I completely agree with tehkory, but something to debate.

Favoritism

Feedback

Would like to hear more opinions on these topics.

ETAA: No, really. I'd full-mouth deep tongue kiss you if you gave me feedback either way.

-just- :shock:
Eugene wrote:
Troubadour
Forum Hobbit

Postby Fulgrim » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:33 pm

If you ask me for feedback regarding a matter like, specifically if you're on the cusp of 2 RPP and you want to play a race or role offered there, and you ask me, "How do I get you into letting me play X race?"

I will give you comprehensive feedback. Sometimes I will contact you in regards to this and give it to you without asking, but I will definitely respond if you ask me yourself.

If you are on the cusp of 5 RPP but for months we have not awarded you the fifth, and you dearly wish to play an Elf, or a Troll, or whatever races and roles are available at that level of play, contact me and I will give you a summary of reasons why you haven't been moved up a level, and also comprehensive observations I've made while watching over the months preceding.

Not all admins will offer to do this, and it hasn't happened a lot in the past, because it's resource consuming and staff hasn't much been willing to make a policy change like that, but I am willing to do it voluntarily. For you.
(Morgoth):
Fulgrim
Roleplay Admin

Postby Throttle » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:34 pm

I don't think there's that much of a history of actual favoritism with regards to RPP, at least not any more than what's inevitable human nature. It's more that there has been inconsistency in how it has been handled at times, and also a lot of fretting over RPP back in old SOI because the races that you unlocked, especially at 4+ RPP, were grotesquely overpowered.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby Fulgrim » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:37 pm

2) Re: favortism.

I make no observations based on who I like and who I dislike. If someone shows they are not capable of behaving like mature adults and focus on roleplay and fun, they will not even meet the minimum requirements to gain their first and second RPP, tools and control of oneself needed to reach that level of play must be developed voluntarily. I make no decisions based on what I think about a person but what that person -does-. Actions matter more to me.
(Morgoth):
Fulgrim
Roleplay Admin

Postby Fulgrim » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:39 pm

3) Systems, races, roles, what you "achieve" by being trusted.

The races and roles will, as we move forward, be balanced and not grossly overpowered. Neither will you be awarded kit and gear in chargen, or I will argue against this idea as dogmatically as possible. Your achievements from the outset of chargen will matter more than how much staff thinks of your roleplay.
(Morgoth):
Fulgrim
Roleplay Admin

Postby EltanimRas » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:34 pm

Fulgrim wrote:The third RPP and beyond is subjective. We all have different opinions of what denotes "stellar" RP. We all think about what this person has played in terms of characters, and if their capability of playing races and roles that are unlocked at the third, fourth and fifth RPP levels are in line with each other. If they aren't in our eyes, and we can't reach a consensus about it, they aren't awarded that month.

One of the nice things about the various badge systems that have been proposed is that they tend to separate out some of the subjectively weighted components of 'stellar RP'.

If you're one of those players who's good at either realistic, well-rounded characters OR at leading, motivating, and plot-stirring, but not both (or at least not both to the same degree), it can be easy to feel under-appreciated under the single-point-number system.

tehkory wrote:Caveat: I'm not playing. I want to. I intend to. I just need to find that sudden push that brings me back.

Tongue kiss? ;)
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby Fulgrim » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:40 pm

I will propose a badge system again should we reach a juncture where RPP is used for more than just roles, but rather races (and roles) that require a level of understanding of the concept to pull off.

We are not there yet, but we will be.
(Morgoth):
Fulgrim
Roleplay Admin

Postby Oblivion » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:50 pm

As a player who, in the past, has apparently accrued enough rpp to lose half of them and still be in the top one percentile... I'd like to suggest the best thing to do in order to gain rpp is... ... not play to gain rpp.

Do the things that you find enjoyable, play the routes that you find enjoyable. If you are having fun in a role, or string of roles, then the characters around you will likely have fun. The ones watching you will have fun. But at the end of the day -you- will have fun. Having fun is an intuitive part of gaining rpp.

And even if you don't see them on your 'score' (and that's something I think still needs to be taken out, being able to see your rpp) understand that there's nothing you're doing wrong if you're enjoying your time spent.
Oblivion
Dwarf Recruit

Postby EltanimRas » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:56 pm

Fulgrim wrote:I will propose a badge system again should we reach a juncture where RPP is used for more than just roles, but rather races (and roles) that require a level of understanding of the concept to pull off.

Works for me. I'm sure, SoI being SoI, that most of our badges would be lore-related, but I'd love to eventually see some for meta-game categories like inclusiveness (or newbie-friendliness), plot generation, clan leadership, immersive style, and so forth.

Kind of a mini-feedback system. :P
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby Fulgrim » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:59 pm

I want a clan-leadership badge, at the very least.
(Morgoth):
Fulgrim
Roleplay Admin

Postby Eugene » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:26 pm

You want to be a skipping stone, making a myriad of ripples along the way. The excellence of your roleplay is less about your writing and volume, or the accolades you obtain, and more about your ability to profoundly affect other players, characters, and the game world.

Then again, what would I know?
Eugene
Dwarf Recruit

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login