It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:26 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Usage of Think

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Usage of Think

Postby Sabrelon » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:45 pm

So, another topic I want to get Staff and other player's opinions on is the Think command. Pretty much every player and every staff member on every RPI that's ever existed goes about using Think differently and has a different opinion on how to use Think to the best of it's ability.

I'm curious as to how all of you guys use it, though. Let's just go with the idea that there's no wrong way to go about using it (or for the sake of discussing let's say that there isn't).

And I'm wondering how Staff feels about it, and what they like to see from players. How regularly do you guys like to see it, what kind of thoughts do you like to see, can people use it too much, etc.
Sabrelon
Forum Hobbit

Re: Usage of Think

Postby Icarus » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:49 pm

It let's us watch you while we are far away from you. I know more about Orc politics because of thinks than I do watching RP.

Give us context though. Otherwise it slowly becomes noise. Think (fishing) wonder bout them monsters.

There also isn't any wrong way to do it.

Thinking while interacting with an NPC is also bloody awesome.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby krelm » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:18 pm

I'm probably guilty of contributing to a lot of the "noise" that Icarus mentioned, being as how I use thinks as a first-person narrative of what's going through my character's head at any given moment (provided I'm not mid-combat or something, though I've been known to use thinks then, too).

I guess I use it arbitrarily, if you look at it from a staffer's point of view, but doing so helps me get into my character's frame of mind.

My only problem, I think, is -every- one of my characters thinks in a first-person narrative. This is how I think IRL, and I find it easier to translate that into text over visual-based thinking and whatnot.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby Tiamat » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:30 pm

I like all kinds of thinks, besides the sexx0ring variety, which I rarely see anyways. Thinks don't happen as much as you think they do, once you're an admin, so it's good to see 'em happening. I particularly like to see them in RPTs that I'm running, since it gives me more options on how I want to play a scene. When a player thinks often, it lets me peek into what their character is like under the hood, which helps when you want to throw character hooks in.

Moral of the story: think more if you can. They're never an annoyance, and if I'm very busy doing something else, I can tune out of them anyways.
Tiamat
Honored Elf

Postby Alcarin » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:31 pm

I like thinks, personally. Enjoyed doing them as a player, love seeing them as a Staffer.

There's no better way to get my immediate attention (if I'm free to give it) than to do an interesting think or two.

Not that I'm necessarily going to -do- anything if you have my attention, mind, but it's a great way to attract notice.
Alcarin

Postby Sabrelon » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:32 pm

I guess I should post my thoughts as well:

I like using think to clarify my characters actions (especially if they conflict with how he actually feels), and to give insight on a situation. I don't know how arbitrary mine can come off, but I have been known to use think a lot, with the thinks having very similar content within them.

I think it's pretty efficient to make use of the parenthesis in the Think command to give context to the situation. Something like:

(as he lies about the theft of the necklace) I shouldn't have done it, but if they catch me, I'll be punished, and I can't afford to risk it.
Sabrelon
Forum Hobbit

Postby Rivean » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:38 pm

My usage of think seems to be centered around thoughts that my PC doesn't wish to say aloud. Like, for example:

Bob Dylan asks you, "Why don't you come around no more, Rivean?"

You think: Why? He asks me why? Because I can't stand the sight of him, I can't stomach the stench of him. Every fiber of his being offends me.

Rivean's jaw clenches momentarily. He shakes his head, "Nothing, just been busy."

ETA: I should do this more, now that I think about it.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby Troubadour » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:58 pm

I actually loath using the think command and it really bothers me that staff beg us to use it more (I was suddenly envisioned with -more cowbell- and it seems to really apply here after I re-read this, think about it :lol: ) as to me, at least, it seems to dictate that using 'think' merits RPP or puts a call out to staffers so to speak to watch RP for RPP etc, etc. It's probably the one and only command I have such an emotionally strong distaste for probably because it coincides with the dislike that there are RPP points that I have to try and strive for.

I have tried really hard incorporating 'think' into my character, but I find it serves no purpose other then to probably put context into what me (as player) is thinking as oppose to what my character is thinking and would much rather keep separate character/player. I would hope that I would be merited for the quality of my interaction with the game and other characters then for 'innocuous thoughts' of my character.

Perhaps I don't play conniving or devious characters enough that it plays an integral part. Usually they are pretty honest and pure-hearted so all integrity is presented out in the open for all to interact with. I don't like using a command that helps me hide from that from another character, even if it might mean bad blood or giving away a secret. I wish I could get that back in return from more players.

So, yeah, strong words but as I am writing this I am realizing that you know what, I really don't need to use it to have a well rounded character. It's just too bad I might not ever see an RPP point because of it.
Last edited by Troubadour on Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eugene wrote:
You want to be a skipping stone, making a myriad of ripples along the way.
Troubadour
Forum Hobbit

Postby Fulgrim » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:07 pm

Think doesn't really cause us to give out RPPs. It's your roleplay. However think let's us know that something is happening, and gives us the -opportunity- to snoop or goto the scene itself and WATCH you roleplay, so we can decide if you're deserving of one. We of course still award people RPP even if they don't think. Lots of people don't and have been rewarded because they have stellar RP.

And lots of people have been like, after us watching a scene and being like "THIS IS THE SCENE THAT GOT YOU YOUR SECOND RPP" got rewarded that way, and we'd only been able to acknowledge that scene or know it was happening because we were given subtle indications of it through thoughts.

Thoughts are a powerful tool to give us the subtle intricacies of your character and the reason for their doing things. It is not a useless command and really the reason the majority of admins would encourage it's use (within reason) is because it's useful, not because it's the only way you'll get RPP.
(Morgoth):
I had a part in everything.
Twice I destroyed the light and twice I failed.
I left ruin behind me when I returned.
But I also carried ruin with me.
She, the mistress of her own lust.
Fulgrim
Roleplay Admin

Postby EltanimRas » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:35 pm

Troubadour wrote:I don't like using a command that helps me hide from that from another character, even if it might mean bad blood or giving away a secret. I wish I could get that back in return from more players.

I'm using the think command a lot less now that we don't have telepaths to take into consideration. It's the same reason I rarely use hmote -- because if it goes unseen, my RP partner fails to benefit from it. Nine times out of ten, I'd rather use a regular emote with a subtly/sneakily qualifier.

I still use the think command, but only if I have time after trying to come up with a good physical tell (assuming a thought interesting enough to merit one!). I also use 'feel' far more than 'think' nowadays. It doesn't take parentheses well, but I find the overall syntax much more flexible.
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby Oblivion » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:53 pm

I usually use the think command in situations where I'd normally really enjoy badmouthing whoever I'm rping with, but it wouldn't gain me a bit of favor and would likely get me hated/gutted.

Or if I'm bored ... Or if I'm hungry... Or if I'm brooding on a particular topic...

Actually I guess I use the think command more often than I thought I did...
Oblivion
Dwarf Recruit

Postby krelm » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:56 pm

EltanimRas wrote:It's the same reason I rarely use hmote -- because if it goes unseen, my RP partner fails to benefit from it.

What's wrong with using a command that benefits yourself, RP-wise?
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby EltanimRas » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:03 am

krelm wrote:What's wrong with using a command that benefits yourself, RP-wise?

Nothing at all.

I just find that I have more fun when I give my RP partner more clues to play off of, and I can only type so fast. As I said, I do use the command when the pace of the scene is such that I can manage it. I use it a lot when I'm solo RP'ing!

ETA: In the case of hmote, if I'm doing it strictly for myself, I'd rather use think or feel, because I have more freedom for subjectivity there. If I'm doing it for my RP partner, I'd normally rather use emote -- so I know they'll see it. I will use hmote when my PC is hidden, and I'll sometimes use it in crowded scenes where the chance that some people will notice and others not has the potential to be fun.
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby ThinkTwice » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:43 am

It takes an active effort for me to speak in a way that sounds natural to someone from Middle-Earth. I usually edit and rewrite anything really important at least once before I hit the enter button, to make sure it sounds appropriately Middle-Earthy. There are a few things I make exceptions for because I don't think there's a Middle-Earthen equivalent for, but I make the effort.

I don't do that in thinks. Thinks and feels are exactly what my character is thinking, written in modern English for me to understand better what I feel and think about a given topic. Being something of an old fogey, I hadn't known about the feel command until relatively recently, and have a nearby, kindhearted player to thank for telling me of it. Since then, think has gotten much less action. I'll typically think one thing, and then feel it out in more specific detail, or more honesty.
ThinkTwice
Honored Dwarf

Postby Taurgalas » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:45 am

Thinking is an RPA's best friend. No, it doesn't mean you'll be attacked (necessarily) but it and feel are our best reward for impacting and affecting you. People who don't think won't be ignored, but I'm far more likely to give little off the cuff animations to someone I can see response from. It's entirely your preference, but interacting is my preference. :lol:
[Petition:***] Why is there a pretty pink pony with doe eyes and a party-balloon cutie mark in the group?

*** orc player name edited out for his/her own protection.
Taurgalas
Master Ent

Postby Eugene » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:17 pm

The think command is overrated. Show in your roleplay with characters, don't tell the admins the Sparknotes in your think commands.

Rivean wrote:You think: Why? He asks me why? Because I can't stand the sight of him, I can't stomach the stench of him. Every fiber of his being offends me.

That's all well and good, but...

Rivean's jaw clenches momentarily. He shakes his head, "Nothing, just been busy."

That tells a lot in of itself and should be taken far more into account due to its publicity and effect on witnesses. No one but admins see your thinks, and that should make it frowned upon. If I saw the hypothetical think by Rivean, I'd shrug. If I was shadowing Rivean, saw that emote, and then saw the in-game repercussions it had on other people, I would be in a state far too inappropriate to mention on these forums.
Eugene
Dwarf Recruit

Postby EltanimRas » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:58 pm

Of course, depending how good your memory is (and how esoteric the reasons behind your characters' expressions get!), those 'SparkNotes' can be pretty handy when you find yourself looking back over years-old logs. :P
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby gyre » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:21 am

I always think about myself and the admins as the readers in a story, so think/feel are there to provide those insights you'd get with third-person narratives, while still letting you play out the story with others.

I love both, feel especially - who wants to think in words all the time? That said, I wish there was just an option for doing staff-only echoes like admins can so I wonder, daydream etc without it being quite so clunky.

Journal and plan too are all kinds of goodness for me.

I think it's easy to forget as a player, especially when you log a lot of hours, that staff don't see the majority of what you do and that what you think is obvious (and what might be obvious to people who you play often), actually isn't. All these secret commands give them an easy insight into your character and, in my experience, that it makes it far easier for them to torture/taunt and otherwise throw plot at you.
gyre
Verified Member

Postby Songweaver » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:35 am

Think is a liar's best friend.

Feel is a great narrative tool if you frame it correctly. I loved seeing feels like this (particularly when accompanied by a "think" foil), when I was staff:

> feel lonely. It has been three days since he has eaten more than nuts found in the dirt. A fortnight since he has shared words with one of his kind. Three years since he has laid with a woman. The weight of what is missing settles deep into his gut, churning louder than even his hunger. As beautiful as the winter white of the forest is to him, he struggles to see more than what is gone: the trees are dead, the beasts are hiding within their secret places. His people, slaughtered. Sometimes, like now, he wishes for nothing more than a quiet ending to his story.

> think (his determination the only light to fend off his despair) I must finish my journey. I must reach Rivendell. Or they all died for nothing.

That's the sort of narrative that can really tell admins who your character is, and where they are. If they interact with you at that point, then they know how to hook into your character and push their buttons. It's really collaborative, if entirely unnecessary to dig so deep to be a good roleplayer. Plenty of great roleplayers that I encountered in my times as an administrator never really thought at all.

I tend to flip back and forth on how often I think/feel, depending on the pacing of the scene that I'm involved with.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby Bri » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:56 pm

The think and feel commands help to relay a lot of information both to the staff, but also to assist a player in immersing themselves into the character. A lot of my pc's are the quiet types. They are generally friendly on the outside, but can be sort of sarcastic inwardly. Some of them, acting in a certain way is totally against their character and complaining is something they just don't do, so they think about it. "Don't go out the gates alone!" And all they do is nod and say, "Okay." but then they think "Why not? Why do you feel you have to tell me not to do that? Because its dangerous? I know that. I'm not stupid. I wasn't going to anyway." And its those thoughts that the staff can pick up on, sure, but it also gives an extra layer to that character that doesn't talk much. They smile, they nod, but rarely speak with their mouth. The quiet pc's always have me wondering what their thinks are, cause you know they have to be epic with as little as their pc expresses themselves to others. Feel works the same way, scared into silence, but you can go more into depths beyond emoting closing your mouth and looking down with a nod. You can feel the insides of your stomach churn, threatening to lift the decomposing food back out of its depths. Your heart races so fast your head spins and it takes full concentration to breath through the beating the inside of your ribcage is taking. Once again, all responses not seen on the outside, but it gives you context to what is going on with your pc and if things continue to escalate you won't go from just standing quietly to passed out on the floor for no apparent reason, you'll have the feels in the middle to scroll back to and add upon once you 'come to'.
A brown-furred, cheese-loving mutt says,
"Mendev is back and we elected him mayor, and now we're all transforming into spiders."

A brown-furred, cheese-loving mutt says,
"It's cool, though, the extra limbs are super useful."
Bri
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Erythil » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:32 am

Due to there not being any psychics in our setting, I find myself only using the think command when I know staff are around and paying attention. I guess I find it kinda pointless if there's no audience!
Erythil
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Matt » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:40 am

I very very rarely emote or RP without someone in the room with me. I find it hard to do thinks or anything else when I'm in a group. I'm worried about reading what other people are doing and responding. My PCs thinks are in my own head so I don't put it in. If it's really serious, yea, I'll think IG. But it's really rare.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login