10-20 hours
19%
20 hours or more
50%

Total votes : 26

Re: How much should I play? [poll]

Postby EltanimRas » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:24 am

Rivean wrote:
Nimrod wrote:(I also relive a lot of old times too - weird huh?) Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

You owe me a cheesebun for not making an old man joke :P

Not now, he doesn't.
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby EltanimRas » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:12 am

A couple of follow-up thoughts on the topic, some based on present-day experimentation, others on dredged up memories of times past:

1. Playtimes matter a lot more both at the beginning of PC's career and at the beginning of a new relationship than they do later on. Even if you can't play more than an hour or two a night regularly, investing in an early burst may pay off. Meet people, get clanned, make an impression. Push through the aimless, friendless newbie phase as quickly as you can -- even if you have to cut back afterward, you'll still be somebody more than 'than guy from the bar' to a lot of PCs.

2. If your character isn't clicking -- and you have some flexibility in your schedule -- try giving up on consistent playtimes for a while. Experiment with different time-slots, meet different PCs. Sometimes finding the right RP partner makes all the difference.

3. If nothing else works, don't be afraid to retire and re-roll. Use your current PC to scout around for a niche you want to play in or a group you want to play with. Use them to figure out what skillsets are in demand, if that matters to you. Ask on the forums if anybody has a playable family member in their background. Find a perspective or archetype you think is under-represented. Etc.
Last edited by EltanimRas on Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby Fulgrim » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:23 am

Basically, EltanimRas has the right of it. Those are all good tips, but one thing in particular is, the time that you do have, if it is indeed limited, should be spent being proactive. And this doesn't necessarily mean leading patrols, or organizing RPTs (social and combat), or being the elite crafter of the sphere. I mean engaging idling players, players who look lonely. Writing board posts about interesting things you observe others doing, or plots that you observe.

I mean driving your own roleplay, roleplaying doing something that might engage the staff, doing something to interact with the gameworld around you. Someone who can only log on for two hours but spends all two of them liberating themselves of boredom instead of expecting the game to feed fun to you is Capital, in my book.
(Morgoth):
I had a part in everything.
Twice I destroyed the light and twice I failed.
I left ruin behind me when I returned.
But I also carried ruin with me.
She, the mistress of her own lust.
Fulgrim
Roleplay Admin

Postby EltanimRas » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:43 am

Fulgrim wrote:I mean engaging idling players, players who look lonely.

Probably one of the best things you can do to 'give back to the game', as it were, short of signing on as a staffer. ;)

Fulgrim wrote:Writing board posts about interesting things you observe others doing, or plots that you observe.

Oh, hey, speaking of board posts. I've decided I'm a big fan of those clichéd 'new guy in town' ones. When they're mine, they save me a whole lot of repeating my background thumbnail and thinly veiled versions of my skill sheet, RP that otherwise gets old quick. When they're someone else's, they give me RP hooks to work with.

Even if my PC doesn't pay much attention to gossip ICly, she's still more likely to 'coincidentally' say something insulting about your hometown, complain how badly she needs stuff you can make, and so forth if I have OOC reason to think it might go somewhere.
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Previous

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login