It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:13 pm
Change font size
Forum Home Public Crafts

Crafts

Re: Ironwood Scouting

Suggest crafts, talk about existing crafts, debate the finer points of your craftiness.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Postby Rivean » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:54 pm

Frigga wrote:Yes - it's still an opener, but it's a slightly higher skill roll to account for the higher value of ironwood.

I didn't want to post in the main thread because that's for other things, I'd just like to point out that skill rolls and value should have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Skill rolls should be a measure of how difficult something is to do, and value should be a measure of price as a result of supply and demand. Some things are extremely difficult to do but have very little value because nobody wants them, and the reverse works the same way as well.

In Pakistan, a Big Mac meal sells for around Rs. 500. A plate of katakat (mixed meats that are cut, spiced, and cooked on a huge pan with instruments that are part slicers and part spatulas) costs around Rs. 100, say Rs. 120 with bread. The Big Mac costs more, has greater value - does this mean that the people flipping burgers at McDonald's are more skilled than the ones manning the katakat pan? Most certainly not.

Value = Prices = Intersection of Demand and Supply. Nothing to do with skill. Please consult whoever is your resident economist - I know they exist because they've been mentioned a couple of times.

In my opinion, value/prices should be in line with the economic models discussed in the economics thread, and skill checks should be in line with whatever is realistic and consistent, and the two should not have anything to do with each other.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby tehkory » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:16 pm

Rivean wrote:It's the economy, stupid.

*pops his head in*Think of it less that 'ironwood=more valuable, ergo more difficult,' and instead, 'Ironwood is probably more difficult to acquire ontop of being more valued, which adds to the economic value.'?

And nobody mind my 1990s Bill Clinton reference, please.
tehkory
Master Ent

Return to Crafts

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login