It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:38 pm
Change font size

Out of Character Chatter

Random SOI Thoughts

Want to hang out and have a friendly, off-topic discussion with your fellow players and the staff? This is the place to do it.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: Random SOI Thoughts

Postby ThinkTwice » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:16 am

Whenever I see 'tall' in an sdesc, I automatically assume it's a new player. :oops:
ThinkTwice
Honored Dwarf

Postby Hawkwind » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:54 am

When i read tall i see below average.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby Rivean » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:52 pm

The importance of force emoting for decent mudsex. Because otherwise, this:

Emote attempts to wrap their fingers around your *****, and, if allowed, will probably take it into their mouth.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby Icarus » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:24 pm

................. We build a faithful rendition of Tolkien's middle earth, go through hell and back debating features, and really what you guys want is a coded fellatio command.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Throttle » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:50 pm

It needs to echo to surrounding rooms.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby gyre » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:05 pm

<<<****************************************>>>
<<<---------------------------------------->>>

Like this...

<<<---------------------------------------->>>

<<<****************************************>>>
gyre
Verified Member

Postby Rivean » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:16 am

Icarus wrote:................. We build a faithful rendition of Tolkien's middle earth, go through hell and back debating features, and really what you guys want is a coded fellatio command.

You skillfully deflect so and so's clumsy fellatio attempt.

> nosave mudsex
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby Oblivion » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:52 am

*observe that everyone in your sphere is depicted as being 'above average' ... think to self 'above average must be average... so these people must just be average' ... become disillusioned with 'above average' in general.*

Also note to self, spend more time brawling so as to evade forced fellactio attempts. Dodge is finally useful in game!
Oblivion
Dwarf Recruit

Postby EltanimRas » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:55 am

Oblivion wrote:*observe that everyone in your sphere is depicted as being 'above average' ... think to self 'above average must be average... so these people must just be average' ... become disillusioned with 'above average' in general.*

Average? That's what vNPCs are for! :P
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby Oblivion » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:58 am

*hath been schooled, shameface*
Oblivion
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Canawa » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:12 pm

Why don't we have Doritos in game? I mean, what's a snaga to eat after having smoked a bit?
Canawa
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Raukran » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:30 pm

I wonder if I'm using the set status command correctly...:

[A massive, hairy spider with venom-dripping mandibles is online. Use NOTIFY to reply in kind.]

You continue to scour the ground for dropwood.

You pull out a stick of mixed-wood wood to set on the ground.

set status NOPE
Your status string is now: NOPE
I am not responsible for the actions of my characters.
Raukran
Unverified User

Postby mongwen » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:39 pm

Here's my randomness. Some days I just want to give up on this game until it's out of the alpha stage if not completely. I am finding frustrations, disagreements, shoulda-been-left-alones, and other grumbles with the crafting system, the skills system in chargen and otherwise, the new code with eating, the economy as a whole, and the other PCs in my sphere. Others I feel like retiring my current PC and trying an orc just because I've never done it, then wondering how I might do a unique one.
There's also a question that's floating around my mind that definitely counts as random. On the human side, we're in some backwater nowhere for alpha, then we're going to move to Laketown itself for beta. Why not just start in laketown instead of in some yet-to-be-determined way being forced to move? I had more than enough of force moves in SOI's first incarnations, and we already know that, assuming the game's still around in late 2941 TA, Laketown's going to be totally destroyed. Kind of makes me hesitant to invest anything emotionally OOC, and if you don't invest something in your PC it's all kind of colorless and you're not doing it right -- or at least I can't play without investing something. It's probably why I've never played an orc before, because I can't get in touch with my dark side.

Most of the hesitation's about investing in Utterby, I think. Laketown's destruction is 29 years off, game time, currently seven RL years. Utterby's extremely temporary, so although my PC might be willing, the typist behind it's going "why bother expanding when we'll just lose the town in six months or a year"? Just a random time frame, but the whole post is random, stream of conscience and yes it's an unhappy ramble at the moment. I need something to bond my PC and I haven't found it yet.
A yellow-eyed, blotchy-fleshed brown uruk slowly slunks over, sneakily swaggering with a sleek step.
mongwen
Honored Dwarf

Postby Fulgrim » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:13 pm

1) If time ever becomes a concern, and it shouldn't, we can always pre-determine the time the game would start at during the Beta and Open phases, if it were necessary, which it shouldn't be, because we have about five years worth of "IG time" between now and a fat lizard having a BBQ out near Esgaroth. And...who says the game was going to end in five years when Laketown is cinders anyway? That seems like when the story really begins.

2) The game isn't finished. It didn't even have a full roster of staffers until a month ago. People also have lives, so development phases have relatively been decided in the span of months. It could take awhile to hit open.

3) We didn't start in Laketown because if we did, we'd be designing systems over a relatively blank, empty and LARGE slate that Laketown is, without the ability to play around and decide what was worth keeping, what wasn't, and what would be difficult to rip out. It also allows for a "do over" on some decisions made before Beta and Open.

4) I'm PRETTY SURE there's time to become invested in your character before any sort of logical move being made. If only to have fun, rather than willfully attempting to do the opposite.

5) I pretty much skipped over your/others complaints at this point, because a lot of it (mostly the economy) is being worked on as we speak. It's a difficult and obstinate beast while operated in an attempt to avoid the inflation that plagued the old/other games. Some suggestions have been made on how to deal with it by other long-term players. I'll bring them up at the next staff meeting.

6) I'm not gonna tell you or anyone else they should just stop playing the game until a certain point or event happens, or stop period, because that would in essence go counter to the spirit of the voluntary work I'm doing. If you're not happy with the way things are, there's a limited amount of things you OR me could do in a short time.

Though if you're having enough fun to wait for things to get better, I wouldn't see these issues as issues, but wait to read the list of changes in the next set of "patch notes" like I would any other game. If you're having no amount of fun and have little faith in the people in administration's ability to see the game from Point A to Point B effectively while correcting what doesn't work and polishing what does...

...sorry to hear that.
(Morgoth):
I had a part in everything.
Twice I destroyed the light and twice I failed.
I left ruin behind me when I returned.
But I also carried ruin with me.
She, the mistress of her own lust.
Fulgrim
Roleplay Admin

Postby Real » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:45 am

I started imagining everything my character says in the voice of Benhart from Dark Souls II, and then the rest of the game's echoes followed. Like, all of them. Particularly "Your rummaging efforts are to no avail."

And also "From now on, you will trudge."
Everything gets smaller now the further that I go
Towards the mouth and the reunion of the known and the unknown
Consider yourself lucky if you think of it as home
You can move mountains with your misery if you don't
Real
Elf Recruit

Postby Raukran » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:15 pm

Set status' character limit is like a hardcore version of Twitter for MUDs.
I am not responsible for the actions of my characters.
Raukran
Unverified User

Postby Rivean » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:40 pm

Raukran wrote:Set status' character limit is like a hardcore version of Twitter for MUDs.

That's because it was conceived solely so that players could type in WARNING: MUDSEXX NOW into their status so as to spare admins from having to tear out their eyeballs.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby ThinkTwice » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:04 am

It's so incredibly satisfying to need to pass a difficult skill check and do so. 8-)
ThinkTwice
Honored Dwarf

Postby BleedingEdge » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:41 am

There is a tree in the forest with Kilroy was here carved into the trunk.
BleedingEdge
Verified Member

Postby radioactivejesus » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:49 pm

BleedingEdge wrote:There is a tree in the forest with Kilroy was here carved into the trunk.

you shouldn't be worried about that until humans branch assemble m1-garand and the orcs start toting panzerfausts and getting designer brand chainmail from Hugo Boss

SOI item description wrote:In essence, it is a knife, and there are many like it, but at least this one is yours.

huh, parts of the rifleman's creed is already leaking into SOI. I guess WW2 LOTR might be good
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby Hawkwind » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:15 am

radioactivejesus wrote:
BleedingEdge wrote:There is a tree in the forest with Kilroy was here carved into the trunk.

you shouldn't be worried about that until humans branch assemble m1-garand and the orcs start toting panzerfausts and getting designer brand chainmail from Hugo Boss

SOI item description wrote:In essence, it is a knife, and there are many like it, but at least this one is yours.

huh, parts of the rifleman's creed is already leaking into SOI. I guess WW2 LOTR might be good

Would play this until my dying day.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby EltanimRas » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:59 am

I feel unloved when no one answers my notifies.

Even if you're all locked in your secret clanhalls and have no intention of leaving, I still want to know you're online and don't hate me.

... Do you hate me? :P
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby ThinkTwice » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:49 am

I try not to respond to notifies when I'm engaged in rp elsewhere. As much as it sucks seeing someone I wanna rp with giving out notifies, no reason to claim availability when I'm somewhere private.
ThinkTwice
Honored Dwarf

Postby likui » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:28 am

In essence, it is a knife, and there are many like it, but at least this one is yours.

I had a character in the Pel Dagor who used to mumble something like that every time they gathered at the gate for a patrol.

EltanimRas wrote:I feel unloved when no one answers my notifies.

Even if you're all locked in your secret clanhalls and have no intention of leaving, I still want to know you're online and don't hate me.

... Do you hate me? :P

I always respond to notifies except when I'm about to log out or go afk.
likui
Honored Dwarf

Postby EltanimRas » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:20 am

ThinkTwice wrote:I try not to respond to notifies when I'm engaged in rp elsewhere. As much as it sucks seeing someone I wanna rp with giving out notifies, no reason to claim availability when I'm somewhere private.

I made my post (mostly) jokingly, and I realize everyone uses notify in their own way -- we've had whole threads about it before, but, for the record:

I use it to say I'm online, not that I'm un-busy or easy to find. I use to tell people, "If you check the usual places and don't find me, it's because I'm really ICly not there, not because my PC has gone virtual. Feel free to be angry, or curious, or worried, as appropriate."

That said, back in the day when we still had hobbitmail, I wasn't above using it to directly tell someone I was online but unavailable, so that they didn't get frustrated and annoyed waiting for me to show. Now that we can't do that, the question of whether to notify or not is very much a trade-off.

I shall endeavor to believe everyone loves me despite their mysterious silence. ;)
EltanimRas
Master Ent

PreviousNext

Return to Out of Character Chatter

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login