It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:03 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

Hide/Sneak Vs Observe

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Hide/Sneak Vs Observe

Postby BashSkull52 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:09 pm

I believe getting an ooc message of you being "observed" needs to be changed when a npc or player breaks you out of hiding or your sneak. How do you know you were observed? Does a deer slinking through the woods know that it's been spotted when a hunter is pulling the trigger? I believe there should not be a message when you get spotted, but rather the person or npc that spotted you instead get a message. It doesn't make sense to me and is completely an ooc mechanic that needs to change. Also on another note, just because a small rabbit sees you doesnt mean the bloodthirsty pack of wargs a few rooms away would have any clue you were there. Is this mechanic even feasible to change? Because in my opinion it needs to.
BashSkull52
Forum Hobbit

Re: Hide/Sneak Vs Observe

Postby Fulgrim » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:24 pm

This post is slightly incoherent in what's being suggested, but if I have it right, you want a fundamental change (major, major) to the sneak and hide code that makes it so being "revealed" to the current room doesn't mean you're revealed to rooms at a distance?
(Morgoth):
I had a part in everything.
Twice I destroyed the light and twice I failed.
I left ruin behind me when I returned.
But I also carried ruin with me.
She, the mistress of her own lust.
Fulgrim
Roleplay Admin

Postby Droll » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:25 pm

He's saying, when you walk into a room with a hidden PC or a buck you don't get this:

You are observed.

It's a straight up dead giveaway and kind of ruins anyone's chance of staying hidden, because what is coming next, is 300 searches until you are found.
[A burning comet headed straight for your head is online. Use NOTIFY to reply in kind.]
Droll
Honored Dwarf

Postby Songweaver » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:32 am

It's sort of a necessary evil, IMO. If you couldn't tell whether or not you were hidden in your prompt bar, then your ability to scout into dangerous areas of the wilderness would be severely hindered. To compensate, people would doubtlessly just "re-hide" every room, which is not really great gameplay or use of RP-time.

It's codey, but it's also a game.

And while it would be cool if you could be observed by one PC/NPC and not all of them in a room, it would be an extensive code overhaul of the system. Probably a good one, but an undertaking to be sure.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby BashSkull52 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:29 am

Droll and Songweaver hit the nail on the head. Sorry for the rambling.
BashSkull52
Forum Hobbit

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login