It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:21 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Consideration when PKing

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Consideration when PKing

Postby Smooly » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:26 pm

I think there was already a thread that touched on this, but couldn't find it. So anyways, just a reminder one doesn't always have to kill a PC right after combat. If you've the chance to rp it out (just -you- emoting and typing kill right after doesn't really count as rping it out IMO), should probably do so. It's better for both sides, makes you look good, and hopefully lessens the bad taste of losing a PC for whoever dies.
Smooly
Verified Member

Re: Consideration when PKing

Postby Matt » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:27 pm

If you have an opportunity to RP a death and choose to just kill an uncon PC admins should hit your PC with lightening.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby krelm » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:29 pm

One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby Raukran » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:04 pm

Don't treat PCs the same as NPC threats. This sort of behavior is a surefire way to lose my respect.
I am not responsible for the actions of my characters.
Raukran
Unverified User

Postby LuckyV » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:48 am

I remember sparing someone's life and just cutting the character's tongue out, even a staffer was present to make sure I spared the life of that character.
For me there were no good sides at all of doing that OOC or IC and it wasn't for my character to do so also.
While the cost I had to pay for showing mercy was big enough to convince me never ever to spare a PCs life again.
LuckyV
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Songweaver » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:01 pm

IMO, it's always worth making the choice when possible (because it's not always possible) to do one of the following, rather than immediately kill a PC, even if you don't want to go the route of cutting off hands/tongues/etc:

- Capture. Interrogate. Then deal with them, even if that means execution.
- Drag back to town/mountain for a public execution.

The reason why is simple. It isn't getting killed because of PK that is most frustrating to players, in my experience. It's not getting the chance to play out your PC's final moments, because a lot of times, the final moments are the best roleplay that players are capable of. It's a chance at resolution and tying up a story that that player's been working on for however long their character's been alive. A good death scene is extremely satisfying, and an abrupt death scene without roleplay can be extremely souring.

I always try to give PCs a really good death scene, if nothing else, and spare a life (if only when it makes absolute sense for my character to do so). The former, at the least, is always an option so long as the necessity of combat doesn't demand killing that PC on the spot (or you don't just hit the PC so hard that they die without ever going unconscious). It's just good for the community to do it that way.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby krelm » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:52 pm

Songweaver wrote:The reason why is simple. It isn't getting killed because of PK that is most frustrating to players, in my experience. It's not getting the chance to play out your PC's final moments, because a lot of times, the final moments are the best roleplay that players are capable of. It's a chance at resolution and tying up a story that that player's been working on for however long their character's been alive. A good death scene is extremely satisfying, and an abrupt death scene without roleplay can be extremely souring.

This. This thread wasn't started as a, "You should spare a PC's life over PKing him," thread. It was started to say that, when you -are- killing a PC, if said PC isn't being a chode about it (IE, twinking off, etc), to take your time in roleplaying the scene out. There's no reason just to spam HIT ORC after the guy's KO until he dies. It's not like he can go anywhere.
One among the fence.
krelm

Postby EltanimRas » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:12 pm

krelm wrote:It's not like he can go anywhere.

Afk, chargen. :P
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby krelm » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:29 pm

EltanimRas wrote:
krelm wrote:It's not like he can go anywhere.

Afk, chargen. :P

Not sure if the afk command works while KO, and anyone can go to chargen at any time, so the point still stands.
One among the fence.
krelm

Postby EltanimRas » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:44 pm

Err ... you don't need a command to go afk, and chargen is more interesting when you're about to need a new PC? Afk, NYT is also possible, just less situationally apt. But I was kidding.

Mostly. What can you do while uncon? Do the think and feel commands still work?

> emote flops around like a suffocating fish, waiting for ~pcname to finish her off.
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby Songweaver » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:46 pm

Think and feel still work while you are unconscious, though they do not echo to you. Pmote also works.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby EltanimRas » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:48 pm

Ah, like sleeping. Thanks!
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby Gobbo » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:47 pm

Recently had an experience where >edited< It was either a suicidal PC or a staff npc. Anyways >edited<. Even if it was decided that we would execute >edited< the player should have made plenty of rp and gave some time to them >edited< to RP the death.

I hope staff were watching and take note of who needs improvement before they deserve further rpp.

(Fulgrim: Removed some IC information. Yes, we are watching. Here and IG. Don't worry.)
Gobbo
Honored Dwarf

Postby toofast » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:04 am

Gobbo wrote:Recently had an experience where >edited< It was either a suicidal PC or a staff npc. Anyways >edited<. Even if it was decided that we would execute >edited< the player should have made plenty of rp and gave some time to them >edited< to RP the death.

I hope staff were watching and take note of who needs improvement before they deserve further rpp.

(Fulgrim: Removed some IC information. Yes, we are watching. Here and IG. Don't worry.)

Hahaha, that is a good ribbing, that, good chap. Excelsior!

(Fulgrim: Be a little more productive than this, guys, or I'll make you say silly things.)
toofast
Elf Recruit

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login