It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:34 am
Change font size
Forum Home Public Crafts

Crafts

Foraging Herbalism

Suggest crafts, talk about existing crafts, debate the finer points of your craftiness.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Foraging Herbalism

Postby Matt » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:25 pm

You know the following foraging-herbalism crafts:

scout wolfsbane

Just noticed that in my crafts. Can we get a guide of some sort to let us know what stuff like this is?
Matt
Ent Sapling

Re: Foraging Herbalism

Postby MrDvAnt » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Matt wrote:You know the following foraging-herbalism crafts:

scout wolfsbane

Just noticed that in my crafts. Can we get a guide of some sort to let us know what stuff like this is?

It wards off werewolves. Duh.
MrDvAnt
Honored Elf

Postby tehkory » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:43 pm

Matt wrote:You know the following foraging-herbalism crafts:

scout wolfsbane

Code: Select all
Foraging-herbalism: gather whole-wolfsbane
Only Usable In: Field Hills Pasture Woods Heath Mirkwood
Usable During: Spring
Phase 1:  15 seconds
Held or in Room (Consumed): a yellow-flowered, dark-green-leafed herb.
Phase 2:  20 seconds
Held (Reusable): a $metaltype0 spade.
Phase 3:  20 seconds Familiar Forage skill required.
Phase 4:  15 seconds
Produced: a yellow-flowered, dark-green-leafed herb.

Code: Select all
Medicine: prepare wolfsbane-salve
Phase 1:  20 seconds
Held or in Room (Consumed): a lump of smoky lard.
In Room (Reusable): a small pot of boiling water.
Phase 2:  20 seconds
Held or in Room (Consumed): a dried brownish-yellow-flowered herb.
In Room (Reusable): an off-white ceramic mortar and pestle, or a $stone0
mortar and pestle.
Phase 3:  20 seconds Familiar Medicine skill required.
Held (Reusable): a slim-handled $woodtype1 spoon, or a long handled
$woodtype1 wooden spoon.
Phase 4:  20 seconds
Held or in Room (Consumed): 3 of a sterilized, bleached bandage.
Produced: 3 of a bandage treated with a yellowish-brown salve.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Taurgalas » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:14 pm

Yup - sorry guys, when I'm writing these on my phone at work, I can't always post up the updates on the forums until I get home. ;)
[Petition:***] Why is there a pretty pink pony with doe eyes and a party-balloon cutie mark in the group?

*** orc player name edited out for his/her own protection.
Taurgalas
Master Ent

Postby tehkory » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:27 pm

Taurgalas wrote:Yup - sorry guys, when I'm writing these on my phone at work, I can't always post up the updates on the forums until I get home. ;)

How do we get a 'dried wolfsbane,' curiously? Is it a branchable foraging-herbalism craft?
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Taurgalas » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:06 pm

Right now, it's just a matter of time. Drying may/may not come in to speed up that time with a craft and drying rack, but for now, once you gather it, it will morph fairly soonish into the dried version, then from there to decay away, eventually.
[Petition:***] Why is there a pretty pink pony with doe eyes and a party-balloon cutie mark in the group?

Taurgalas
Master Ent

Postby pinocchio » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:04 am

Taurgalas wrote:added wolfsbane gathering, wolfsbane salve for the medicinally inclined

:shock: My pc needs new gloves.

I assume the primary intended use right now is as an anesthetic, but ... are you going to let us make poison arrows?

Also, for people who want a more detailed background: Monkshood
pinocchio
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Taurgalas » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:17 am

Do remember that while skin irritation is one potential side - effect when gathering, this particular strain of the plant is not so virulent and only poisonous when consumed in significant quantities. At present, there is no need nor intention to set up alchemical poisons. Not when this is the first basic medicine actually involved. I.e. slow down and take what you're getting!

Taurgalas
Master Ent

Postby ThinkTwice » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:15 pm

The herb items are no-get, but are described in their pdesc as being uprooted?
ThinkTwice
Honored Dwarf

Postby Taurgalas » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:29 pm

This was fixed last night.

Taurgalas
Master Ent

Postby tehkory » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:48 pm

Taurgalas wrote:This was fixed last night.

Semi-related, and you're reading this thread, so:
my first round of bandages decayed after real-life eight minutes. Gone. Combine this with the fact that lard decays so fast, and herbs decay as well, and it's going to be real difficult to play inventory management to try and make AND use these.

They're also contusion-only, which is a little difficult to explain away ICly.

ETA:

And the fail message makes me giggle.
You use a spoon to try to transfer the lard into the cup, but make a mess and accidentally knock over the mortar of herb. You should be embarrassed when you clean up your mess.

ETA 2.0:

3 bandage treated with a yellowish-brown salves gradually decays away.
3 bandage treated with a yellowish-brown salves gradually decays away.
a lit, river-rock hearth begins to burn low.

It seems they decay on the 'hour,' making them last as long as a lit cigarette would.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Fulgrim » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:52 pm

This might just need a reboot to fix, if Taur already has the changes written up on the BP.
(Morgoth):
I had a part in everything.
Twice I destroyed the light and twice I failed.
I left ruin behind me when I returned.
But I also carried ruin with me.
She, the mistress of her own lust.
Fulgrim
Roleplay Admin

Postby Taurgalas » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:33 pm

This actually has nothing to do with the build and may be a code issue. The lard at least. The bandages should decay very fast. Medicine crafts can only be used at the time of use. They can't be stored, sold, or made portable. That's the difference between them and first aid crafts. First Aid crafts are portable, but less efficacious.

Taurgalas
Master Ent

Postby tehkory » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:44 pm

Code concerns:
When every part of the process:
can't be stored, sold, or made portable

then it's incredibly difficult to be used. Fat doesn't last, lard made from fat decays incredibly quickly, herbs don't last, and medicines made from all decays incredibly quickly.

This is one of those issues where maybe it'll have to be shown through play, though. But the problem with the incredibly limited nature is that this is a product that may decay literally IMMEDIATELY upon being crafted, if you created it right before the 'hour' timer kicks over. An object existing for ~eight minutes in-game in-game simply means it's going to end up causing all sorts of difficulties for new players, and general confusions, and endless petitions up top. But if it's as-designed, oh well. I'm just surprised it's not something like a few days of IG time.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby pinocchio » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:01 pm

Taurgalas wrote:Medicine crafts can only be used at the time of use. They can't be stored, sold, or made portable. That's the difference between them and first aid crafts. First Aid crafts are portable, but less efficacious.

That's too bad -- I was hoping the medicine craftset would (a) eventually make an apothecary/herbalist-style concept viable and (b) more generally give folks with first-aid/medicine who don't do a lot of coded healing on other players (whether because of playtimes or skill levels) some way to be useful.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see new crafts; I'd just hoped for some pc-made medicines to be storable/salable/portable.
pinocchio
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Taurgalas » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:28 pm

Oh, they will, but not the salve which was the first one in. I wanted to get a medicine craft in immediately. Ointment crafts will be medicine, but made for portability (less effective, though.) First aid crafts (predominantly poultices, splints, etc.) will be perfectly portable and potentially ad hoc, but even less effective than the medicinal crafts. It's a three tiered system designed to encourage medicine with the healers - to be practiced within infirmaries - which is the highest efficacy and best healing. Those things able to be used for first-aid and in the field will never be as efficacious.

This basically provides the ability for someone to be:
1. a field healer - using items prepared by those with medicine that can be carried around, or using first aid alone.
2. a physician type - using items that are short lived and handling the difficult work within the sterile environment of an infirmary
3. an apothecarist type - preparing medicinal crafts for the use of field healers, but not really doing much healing on their own, even if capable.

Yes, you can move between these three roles, but ideally, people will pick one and stick to it.

Taurgalas
Master Ent

Postby pinocchio » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:41 am

Thank you for the clarification, Taurgalas.
pinocchio
Dwarf Recruit

Postby tehkory » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:14 pm

scout septfoil
You wander, searching the ground, looking for greenery that indicates a patch of wolf's bane.

Septfoil seems to produce echoes that should be for wolfsbane.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Taurgalas » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:44 pm

Next time we're able to reboot, that'll be fixed. We had some issues with the BP so might be an older version that made it over. :D

Taurgalas
Master Ent

Postby tehkory » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:47 pm

Taurgalas wrote:Next time we're able to reboot, that'll be fixed. We had some issues with the BP so might be an older version that made it over. :D

Most recently, my woflsbane salves lasted a whole 2 minutes and 6 seconds. Hopefully this is just pending a reboot?
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Taurgalas » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:51 pm

Nothing I can do about that. They're set for 1 hour. Like I said, that's a code issue.

Taurgalas
Master Ent

Postby tehkory » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:54 pm

Taurgalas wrote:Nothing I can do about that. They're set for 1 hour. Like I said, that's a code issue.

It's a design issue hiding -behind- a code issue. Setting them for 2 hours would fix that the item can conceivably last only 1 second, while not greatly increasing their lifespan.

ETA:
The problem, Taur, is that 'one hour' is ~fifteen minutes(exactly fifteen minutes as of my last test). You've created an object that lasts fifteen minutes -tops-. If you craft a salve 14:59 seconds before the 'hourly' timer ticks over, that's how long it'll last. If you create one 1 second before the timer ticks over, that's how long it'd last. Setting it to 'two' hours turns this to 15-30 minutes, which doesn't seem entirely unreasonable.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Taurgalas » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:22 pm

When I say one hour - I mean one RL hour. Not one coded hour. 4 IC hours.

Taurgalas
Master Ent

Postby tehkory » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:25 pm

Taurgalas wrote:When I say one hour - I mean one RL hour. Not one coded hour. 4 IC hours.

Right, and I'm saying I've tested it today, four times, before posting. They decay every quarter-hour -on- the quarter-hour, real-life. When created, they exist until the next 15:00. I could send the logs, but they're not timestamped. Next time I test I can have someone snoop me, but them's the facts, as the item works currently.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby EltanimRas » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:10 am

The peanut gallery <3's you both for putting in the time to test this and get it figured out.
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Next

Return to Crafts

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login