It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:38 pm
Change font size
Forum Home Public Crafts

Crafts

object quality and lamental lack of consistency

Suggest crafts, talk about existing crafts, debate the finer points of your craftiness.

Moderator: Elder Staff

object quality and lamental lack of consistency

Postby mongwen » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:59 pm

I'm finding myself frustrated at how the same PC can make something of masterful quality, then turn around and turn out a novice one. I don't like it. ICly that speaks of carelessness if a PC chose to make the accusation, which is not something a competent crafter would do or a boss would allow to be done. OOCly it is not something that would be done or allowed on a job or hobbyist, either. If you're going to take the time to make something, you want to do it right.

I'd prefer to see no quality descriptor and have them all the same if the alternative is such randomness in the rolls as to create a quality inconsistency that great.
I appreciate that the chance for excellent rolls allows people to make things they might not codedly have the skill for, but if you have a skill level above and beyond what the craft calls for, your product should never come out at a novice level.

Frustration vented and two different ideas suggested for dealing with it. Back to lurkdom.
A yellow-eyed, blotchy-fleshed brown uruk slowly slunks over, sneakily swaggering with a sleek step.
mongwen
Honored Dwarf

Re: object quality and lamental lack of consistency

Postby tehkory » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:38 pm

I'm finding myself frustrated at how the same PC can make something of masterful quality, then turn around and turn out a novice one. I don't like it. ICly that speaks of carelessness if a PC chose to make the accusation, which is not something a competent crafter would do or a boss would allow to be done. OOCly it is not something that would be done or allowed on a job or hobbyist, either. If you're going to take the time to make something, you want to do it right.

And yet sometimes people screw up. Consider not that you're "getting unlucky," but instead that you're "getting lucky." It's not 'carelessness.' You're just not roleplaying the amount of skill your character actual has. You're given -three- rolls for oquality gear, and the best of those is picked. If you're saying "Well my character wouldn't make mistakes," I'm afraid they did. If your work comes out novice, and your character wouldn't accept that, -don't-. Junk the object, and start over. As-is, the game is giving you the chance to succeed in making an object, but not making it perfectly. It's a wonderful degree of variance/.

I'd prefer to see no quality descriptor and have them all the same if the alternative is such randomness in the rolls as to create a quality inconsistency that great.

Your sample size is ridiculously low.

I appreciate that the chance for excellent rolls allows people to make things they might not codedly have the skill for, but if you have a skill level above and beyond what the craft calls for, your product should never come out at a novice level.

Having one point 'above and beyond what the skill level calls for' isn't exactly exceptional. 10 points(a whole skill level past when it went blue) isn't exactly exceptional. If your character's hit master-level armorcrafting/artistry, then these complaints might be valid(but even masters make mistakes! Junk it and start over if he won't accept that). As it is, you've already been given three chances to not roll incredibly low. Play what the game shows you.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Matt » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:59 pm

I've got an idea.

Make it so when you finish the hauberk craft it makes an item first.
Then make a craft with no timer to turn that into a finished product if you want. That roll would be the one we have now for random quality. Or you can use the craft to make sure its at least average quality so you roll between average-master. But have it the same way like you can either get a finished project or upgrade it again. That just makes it master. Just make the master one have large timers/failure timers and a large check.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Fulgrim » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:07 pm

I will ask if the above is possible.
(Morgoth):
I had a part in everything.
Twice I destroyed the light and twice I failed.
I left ruin behind me when I returned.
But I also carried ruin with me.
She, the mistress of her own lust.
Fulgrim
Roleplay Admin

Postby MrDvAnt » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:17 am

I agree with Mongwen's sentiments. I've made similar comments before. It would make more sense to add a baseline for each skill level above needed.

Say the craft is familiar level and you're talented, add a +5 or +10 to each roll, adroit add a +10-+15 etc. That way it's less likely to turn out poorly. As it is, my high adroit crafter turns out a relatively large number of shoddy objects that are "made by a novice."
MrDvAnt
Honored Elf

Postby teepu » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:54 am

I have been consistently hammering out good quality objects. My rolls have not been anything but perfect... I guess it becomes more balanced at higher tiers of skills.

What worries me is that its only the ordinary objects that we have IG right now, and if they take that high a skill to bring out nearly expected rolls, then where would the next tier stand?

ETA: I have noticed that the shoddy make comes out regularly with certain object, where as others have not seen a single shoddy make... Fact or Myth???
teepu
Guide

Postby teepu » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:03 am

I have another suggestion-

A craft to recondition or rebalance the armor and weapons specifically. So that at a certain skill level you can recondition or rebalance the make of your object or with different skill levels you can recondition/rebalance to different qualities depending upon the skill. I dont know about armor but the weapons do go through a series of phases into which this can be incorporated.
teepu
Guide

Postby Inzannadee » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:22 am

teepu wrote:ETA: I have noticed that the shoddy make comes out regularly with certain object, where as others have not seen a single shoddy make... Fact or Myth???

The first part is fact. I don't know about the others NEVER seeing shoddy. But yes, some objects may not be fully converted with the quality scripts.
Inzannadee
Dwarf Recruit

Return to Crafts

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login