It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:04 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Gentle RPA Suggestion

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Gentle RPA Suggestion

Postby Songweaver » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:53 am

Staff animated NPCs are less fun (and interesting) to players, at least this one, when every one of them is an heroic/legendary-skilled, over-equipped super-hero. It means that they are so strong that PCs will never be their equal (particularly in this engine, where combat skillcaps are much lower than in Atonement). It only serves, whether the NPCs are enemies or allies, to make the PCs seem somewhat unimportant to the gameworld.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Re: Gentle RPA Suggestion

Postby tehkory » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:20 am

Songweaver wrote:Staff animated NPCs are less fun (and interesting) to players, at least this one, when every one of them is an heroic/legendary-skilled, over-equipped super-hero. It means that they are so strong that PCs will never be their equal (particularly in this engine, where combat skillcaps are much lower than in Atonement). It only serves, whether the NPCs are enemies or allies, to make the PCs seem somewhat unimportant to the gameworld.

I've never found this to be true as long as the NPCs weren't essentially immortal or all knowing. If they're better than my PC, oh well. If they're equipped with armor levels above both players in makes and material, perhaps it's because they ought to be. It makes more sense in Tolkien, and in Utterby, than elsewhere. When you can see them actively making hard choices and mistakes, with IC consequences...all the better.

Hell, by now I've seen a certain super NPC do more for a neglected clan in a week than I've seen Staff do for it otherwise in months. Focus on what the BBC is bringing to the game world that PC's can't, and not their elite heroic skills or above average gear.

Note how hard I'm trying to not mention Vlad.

ETA: combat caps should be more than high enough with decent stats and above average willpower. Willpower seems to add quite a great amount of points at high levels.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Oblivion » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:41 pm

Have to rather agree with this since one of the more recent Orc side rpts.

Felt like I was invited to play the role of 'faceless crowd member Number 86' to the 'Important NPCs' and that nothing we as players said or did would have any actual impact because the entire scene was written out and performed to an obviously planned script.

And then when the 'Important NPCs' had their scene and were finished with the script, random npcs were spawned and thrown at the players, and some of these overpowered/over-skilled/over geared 'Important NPCs' actually engaged people and killed them when there was literally zero chance of actually beating them.

In the end, it was 'Player Sphere down several important characters due to combat spam and bleed code and basically overwhelming odds' and... ... 'NPC side fading off to continue being plot crutches.' after sitting around for an hour or so watching admins rp with themselves through various npcs.
Oblivion
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Matt » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:09 pm

I personally like the 'boss' level NPCs. I also liked that the last RPT had some very powerful NPCs/admins were alright at letting us lose or draw on a fight. It makes it that much more rewarding if you as a PC decides to and does overcome them in game, or die trying.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby ThinkTwice » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:28 pm

Can confirm a similar trend. Wrote out a long PM to the staff with thoughts about it, after one of the more recent plots human-side.
ThinkTwice
Honored Dwarf

Postby krelm » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:59 pm

I don't mind it. I "grew up" on RPIs in the times of Olop the Warg Thief, Irzgur Blackhand, Duke Krayd, and any one of the thousands of Black Watchmen running around. They were all horrendously better-skilled and equipped than my most-equipped and most-skilled character ever, and I just accept it. Like Kory said, they've earned it.

Also, not to be a dick or anything SW, but you're the one who animated Vlad, another NPC which I should have put up in the above examples.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby Hawkwind » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:23 pm

krelm wrote:I don't mind it. I "grew up" on RPIs in the times of Olop the Warg Thief, Irzgur Blackhand, Duke Krayd, and any one of the thousands of Black Watchmen running around. They were all horrendously better-skilled and equipped than my most-equipped and most-skilled character ever, and I just accept it. Like Kory said, they've earned it.

Also, not to be a dick or anything SW, but you're the one who animated Vlad, another NPC which I should have put up in the above examples.

Second all of this. A gentle reminder SW, your views and opinions do not represent us all. Please stop phrasing your posts and replies as such.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby Alcarin » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:50 pm

Hello,

I first want to thank everyone that posted for their feedback, it has been taken to heart and will be considered staff-side.

Locking this thread now, per the below quoted section of the forum policies. Please PM me if you have any questions or concerns regarding this action.

SoI Forum Policies wrote:If a moderator feels that a thread has served its purpose and been adequately discussed or just abandoned, we reserve the right to lock that thread to prevent it from becoming non-constructive, to prevent thread necromancy, or to otherwise focus attention on more current topics of conversation.
Alcarin

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login