It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:14 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Teach Suggestion

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Teach Suggestion

Postby TrixieM » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:35 am

I was wondering if it would be cool with staff if, as long as we don't abuse it, use the teach command -first- before doing the lesson. The reason I ask is because the first lesson is probably going to be something simple, easy peasy. For example, today I was taught that metal is dangerous when hot and you should wear gloves. It was actually a pretty important first lesson, I mean personal protective equipment is necessary to know and there was more to it than that, I'm just using that as an example. So, we went through a pretty good and detailed description of some easy concepts and the teach failed. So, maybe if he had done the teach first, he could have tailored his rp to be a -bad- teacher, thusly leaving my pc with a good reason to be confused, rather than not getting the whole 'fire bad' concept. :P
TrixieM
Verified Member

Re: Teach Suggestion

Postby EltanimRas » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:05 am

Personally, I don't read too much into the results of any single teach; I figure it more or less averages out over a series of attempts.

In your example, I wouldn't worry about the idea that my PC didn't get the "fire bad" concept or that the other was a poor teacher ... I'd presume that my character had learned what was taught, but that those basic concepts by themselves, however important, weren't sufficient to make a noticeable difference in her practical, hands-on ability.

In other cases, it works well for me to think of it like certain RL teaching experiences, wherein you might teach several different pieces of an idea over several lessons, each of which is necessary and useful, but none of which fully "clicks" until they're accumulated, experimented with, and finally combined by the student.
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby Frigga » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:38 pm

I think the difference is between teaching someone a single craft and teaching them an entirely new skill.

If you are teaching someone a single craft when they already have the appropriate skill to use it you might go through a lesson and RP or run the craft (I tend to do both) then teach the person the craft and see if they succeed and if they don't - offer some more RPed tips for next time.

(This is generally how I run NPC-taught teaching sessions.)

But if you are teaching someone an entirely new skill, really - you shouldn't codedly them the skill until you've completed lessons in each of the starter crafts they'll inherent with the new skill. Which for a more complex/fleshed out craftset will no doubt mean more lessons/RP sessions than something with currently less crafts.

Hmm, perhaps we should keep a list of updated starter crafts by craftset for that purpose.
Frigga
The Ice Queen

Postby EltanimRas » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:50 pm

There's another thread that debates how numerous and in-depth lessons should be to justify the use of the teach command in various contexts. It's here: Policy: Teach Command Usage.

However, the specific topic of this thread (whether to use the command at the beginning, middle, or end of the lesson in which one has decided to use it) is touched on in a post or two as well, perhaps most notably in this snippet:

Raukran, emphasis mine, wrote:Also, when I fail 3/4 of my teaches, I don't make each and every teach a long session. I'm much more likely to do a beginning emote or two to begin the lesson, and depending on if it succeeds or fails, I'll draw it out a bit longer. Coming up with new ways to teach the same lesson is exhausting, especially with the failure rate. So I personally treat my series of short teaching lessons as a cumulative effort, and once it finally works, I treat it as the words finally sinking in.
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby TrixieM » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:02 pm

Frigga, I believe the teach code is different here than perhaps what you're used to -- teaching doesn't automatically open the skill, even in a success. What you're saying would be completely going through each craft one by one in sessions and then further sessions where you just randomly 'teach' command at them and then wait for cool down and do it again? In hl, the teach command was automatic but with this code, it goes up by increments based on a success ratio verses int and skill level of the teacher and int of the student and then the starter crafts appear at like 9 points (or ten, I can't remember). I do think that knowing the starter crafts would be awesome to give like direction for the roleplay, definitely. That would be very helpful. I'd there any resource on the website that shows all craft-sets and possible skills? If not, that would just be great to have around for planning future pcs alone. I wanted to see the skills one time and I ended up just messing around in chargen, which seems like the long way. Of course, I've always been a bit forum handicapped.

Et--ras (I don't want to misspell you're name) -- that's actually a good idea and I agree with Raukran's approach completely. Thank you for linking!
TrixieM
Verified Member

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login