It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:57 am
Change font size

General Discussion

How to make forum friends and influence RP

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

How to make forum friends and influence RP

Postby Taurgalas » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:10 pm

Let's have a little talk about politeness and etiquette when it comes to the forums and in RP. Not because I'm accusing anyone, but our forums have been bad for a long time. There are a lot of people unwilling to return due to our forums. But we can take that even further - there are things that are appropriate in an RPI setting and aren't.

My request - please consider staff morale in the fashion you construct your complaints and criticisms - we are a small group and growing smaller due to the very very VERY thick skin that is required with the current methods. Something's gotta give. I'm not going to say if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all, but the current nonstop public criticism is losing you staff. And if you worry that things are moving slowly, the more of us you drive off, the longer you'll have to wait.

So I encourage positive suggestions people have towards 1. what you feel is proper etiquette upon the forums (others may disagree and if you point out examples or names, prepared to be moderated) and 2. what you consider proper RPI etiquette - what breaks your immersion? Not that anyone is saying do this/don't do that, but it's vital to understand what bothers others to allow consideration of that before engaging in similar behavior going forward.
[Petition:***] Why is there a pretty pink pony with doe eyes and a party-balloon cutie mark in the group?

*** orc player name edited out for his/her own protection.
Taurgalas
Master Ent

Re: How to make forum friends and influence RP

Postby TrixieM » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:22 pm

I want to say that I have opened a ticket in response to something that I wish I had taken a breath before sending to you guys. I still believe that the way it was handled stoked the flames of some pretty powerful demoralizing pre-existing -player- issues.

Conflict is good but exploding the human side is bad, really really bad, and I think that things are closer to exploding than makes me particularly comfortable and I -wish- I could help, because I've actually seen a playerbase explode before and it was ugly.

I won't lie, if an Anaxios war happens, I'm going to be pretty upset. I know for a fact that at very least Icarus should remember how that went down... it nearly killed ARPI and there are groups that were never the same. It took like a three-times reroll for people to let that grudge die.

The bubbling stuff that's being poked between >Group 1< and >Group 2< -feels- like it could explode in all-out ooc PK war at any moment and unless we want to roll the whole sphere, I -ask- dear god, you guys relent and try and to smooth stuff out. Work with those characters who are trying to make peace, try to chill and ignore the characters who are misguidedly trying to start more crap, until -everyone- stops being so close to boiling.

This goes for the players too. This may mean running more roleplay for the time being that requires both >Group 1< and >Group 2< to exist for it to be successful and not picking at the scab of roleplay where certain NPCs are doing certain things that causes everyone to flip out. Maybe give a craft to the >Group 1< clan and materials to >Group 2<, and then put a threat that they have to work together on and hope that the people behind the characters aren't so far gone that they're actually still responding realistically to threats without a hearty laugh in the face of oncoming doom.

I should have presented this instead of being utterly upset and sending in the ticket that I did. I apologize and will try to be more constructive and I hope that admitting that makes some people up there feel a little less of a sting. I'm sure I'm not alone, among the players. We're all working for the same thing, to see this game succeed in a lasting, meaningful way.
TrixieM
Verified Member

Postby Justanothacivy » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:37 pm

Huh....

Well orc side so far is super chill from what I've seen. Players directly influencing their environment. Folks seem pretty happy with it all so far player-side. Character side there is -always- conflict to drive RP.

Forum behaviour is something that is noticed by admins and is taken into consideration when RPP is being awarded. Being a troll won't get anyone anywhere.

As far as the thick skin required for staffers. You can't please them all. Live by it and know that your effort is greatly appreciated by the silent majority. Do however expect every damn descison you make to be scrutinized. It takes experience to know how to deal with feedback. Especially if you find yourself very unpopular.

Know that it takes a community to make an RPI great. Folks can all contribute to this. :mrgreen:
Things that made me smile:
Icarus wrote:I'm going to kill the next character I see doing stuff like that. I'm not joking.
Justanothacivy
Honored Dwarf

Postby Cola » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:53 am

There will always be a few ill-behaved people, or people who fall temporarily into ill-behavior. When you make an announcement like this, you inform them: "if you want to pull our chain; if you want to get to us personally, if you want that power over us, this is how to do it."

You end up encouraging the negative behavior, while discouraging positive, sincere feedback.

The VAST majority of the posts here seem reasonable, and positive. People like your game, get emotionally invested in it, and develop a vision for it you may not share, but that comes with the territory! I believe further attempts to squelch criticism from players will not serve the interest of improving the game.

And staff posts have not always been blameless either. When it comes to proper forum etiquette. Point to some specific examples of discouraging player posts, and I can in turn point to some discouraging staff posts. By why go down that route? Just accept that we all fall short on occasions and get past it.
There is currently 1 soul braving the world all alone.
Cola
Forum Hobbit

Postby Taurgalas » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:33 am

Cola, I think you misunderstand the point of this.

This is a call towards discussing proper etiquette both upon the forums and within the game. And I don't mean discussing the etiquette of staff versus players. We've had enough of that. Players to players.
[Petition:***] Why is there a pretty pink pony with doe eyes and a party-balloon cutie mark in the group?

*** orc player name edited out for his/her own protection.
Taurgalas
Master Ent

Postby Cola » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:50 pm

Let me review:

1. These forums and your players are conducting themselves very politely by internet standards (which admittedly, are low).

2. If you are not much more specific about what is discouraging players or staff, we can't identify which behaviors need to change. We start speculating and come to the wrong conclusion: that staff can't stand legitimate criticism. (Or, coming at that from another angle: spend a lot more time writing a lot more posts thanking players for their suggestions and encouraging the behavior you WANT to see.)

3. Welcome to "leadership"! When it goes wrong, it's your fault. When it goes right, the credit goes to the team(players)! Accept it. Embrace it! You are not going to change it; it's a truism much bigger than SoI. If one can't stand that heat, maybe getting out of the kitchen is the best move. In short: leadership requires that very, very thick skin. The rewards of good leadership come from inside: they typically don't come from the folk you are leading.

I always considered myself a successful leader on the few days when absolutely NOTHING happened. No shit coming down meant I did my job right that day. My boss not noticing my department meant I did my job right that day. That's all you can expect from successful leadership: not being noticed. Those are the GOOD days, the typical days for a leader are dealing with the shit.
There is currently 1 soul braving the world all alone.
Cola
Forum Hobbit

Postby Alcarin » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:37 pm

Cola, please focus on the thread of this topic, as stated in the OP:

1. What do you consider to be polite or "proper etiquette" on the forums? Is there a specific behavior you avoid indulging in, because you think it is unproductive or perhaps rude? Note, we do not want specific examples unless they are solely your own - no calling people out.

2. What do you consider to be polite or "Proper Etiquette" in roleplaying with other players?

Note that your post does not touch upon the two topics Taurgalas requested discussion of; the topic at hand is not 'Staff are burning out', that is merely the impetus for the intended conversation. :)
Alcarin

Postby toofast » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:28 pm

anyone want to be friends???
toofast
Elf Recruit

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login