It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:26 pm
Change font size
Forum Home Public Crafts

Crafts

Foraging Herbalism

Suggest crafts, talk about existing crafts, debate the finer points of your craftiness.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: Foraging Herbalism

Postby Taurgalas » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:41 am

Like I said, this is a code issue when the morphs change their timers independent of the settings. No adjustments I make will alter that, so long as the code is this screwed up. It's up to the coders and probably not immediate on their queue.
[Petition:***] Why is there a pretty pink pony with doe eyes and a party-balloon cutie mark in the group?

*** orc player name edited out for his/her own protection.
Taurgalas
Master Ent

Postby tehkory » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:16 pm

EltanimRas wrote:The peanut gallery <3's you both for putting in the time to test this and get it figured out.

Happily!
Taurgalas wrote:Like I said, this is a code issue when the morphs change their timers independent of the settings. No adjustments I make will alter that, so long as the code is this screwed up. It's up to the coders and probably not immediate on their queue.

*hums*I'm just uncertain why you can't go ahead and give it a timer that's extended. Unless you're saying that decaying object will always do this no matter what timer you give it?*boggles*
Food doesn't decay like this: give it a morph timer similar to food? Corpses don't morph in 15 minutes, though they do morph.

I've seen dozens of objects with reasonable morph timers in this RPI alone, re: raw meat turning to rot. Why not model it exactly after any one of those, rather than just leaving the timer at the completely broken state that it is?

When you call something a code issue, that's fair: when you can't model something after one of the dozens of successfully produced rot-objects that already exist in-game, that's still a design issue, isn't it? Those aren't broken. Those work. Raw meat isn't rotting 15 minutes after it's taken from a wolf. So it's not -solely- a code issue. That part's a design issue. Even if you have to create a second object(a dried-out salve) for it to morph into, it's better to have a functioning craft than one that has an equal chance of lasting either fifteen minutes, or one second.

If decay times are broken, use morphing instead.

Also:

Usable During: Spring

For both wolfsbane and septfoil.

ETA:
Heck, it's obvious that there's ways to make both decay -and- morph timers work. The wolfsbane herbs morph into dried, and you've said yourself eventually the dried ones decay to nothing. Why not model it after -either- of those?

ETA 2.0: And if I'm being incredibly obnoxious here, I'm not trying to! This seems a particularly Alpha issue that does deserve discussion/feedback. Though I'm always saying that.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby pinocchio » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:32 pm

Moonflowers and wooden spits both consistently decay more rapidly than food and less rapidly than treated bandages.
pinocchio
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Taurgalas » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:42 pm

It's probably an item type issue. If you want salve that can only be eaten, sure I'll make it just like food. If you want salve that doesn't assist in healing, sure, I can give you that. It's pretty obviously an issue with the code since my changing it to six days didn't fix a thing. I did set it back again this afternoon, but yeah. There's something off on the decay timers for remedies.
[Petition:***] Why is there a pretty pink pony with doe eyes and a party-balloon cutie mark in the group?

Taurgalas
Master Ent

Postby tehkory » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:19 pm

Taurgalas wrote:It's probably an item type issue. If you want salve that can only be eaten, sure I'll make it just like food. If you want salve that doesn't assist in healing, sure, I can give you that. It's pretty obviously an issue with the code since my changing it to six days didn't fix a thing. I did set it back again this afternoon, but yeah. There's something off on the decay timers for remedies.

pinocchio wrote:Moonflowers...consistently decay more rapidly than food and less rapidly than treated bandages.

Like Pinocchio said, it's probably not related to remedy-type objects, given moonflowers, a remedy-type object that decays in a more normal fashion. I'm sure there's some way. The RPI codebase has always been confusing, but if we've got one remedy object 'working,' another can clearly be made. And I'm not sure I ever tested it when it was set to six days(I did have -one- set of bandages that lasted more than 15 minutes, so it may have actually worked). The set of bandages that did last was an anomaly, hence why I tested it 4 times before making my post.

Your change may've actually worked, from the sounds of it.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Foxtrot » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:57 pm

Are lard jars usable for the salve?
Foxtrot
Forum Hobbit

Postby Taurgalas » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:02 pm

No. Rendered lard is different than boiling up the raw stuff. The rendered lard jars will be functional for ointments and unguents.

Taurgalas
Master Ent

Postby Foxtrot » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:13 pm

Fancy! Very cool.
Foxtrot
Forum Hobbit

Postby tehkory » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:05 pm

Usable During: Spring

Currently nothing in foraging-herbalism can be branched unless it's spring. Something of a design issue, I'd imagine. We need more 'opening' crafts that are available year-round.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Taurgalas » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:14 pm

There will be others, eventually. It takes time to build all of the items and suites. Most of herbalism foraging is only available in spring, though there will be a very few others.

Taurgalas
Master Ent

Postby tehkory » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:27 pm

Taurgalas wrote:There will be others, eventually. It takes time to build all of the items and suites. Most of herbalism foraging is only available in spring, though there will be a very few others.

Taurgalas wrote:I've been busy. Silverweed's been added to the tormentil and wolfsbane herbal list for gathering. The silverweed salve item and craft is also added.

Mentioned so given the newly-added items/crafts. They won't be branchable or even usable until two RL months from now.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Alcarin » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:46 pm

tehkory wrote:
Taurgalas wrote:There will be others, eventually. It takes time to build all of the items and suites. Most of herbalism foraging is only available in spring, though there will be a very few others.

Taurgalas wrote:I've been busy. Silverweed's been added to the tormentil and wolfsbane herbal list for gathering. The silverweed salve item and craft is also added.

Mentioned so given the newly-added items/crafts. They won't be branchable or even usable until two RL months from now.

Additional crafts and items are on the way. Patience is a virtue. ;)
Alcarin

Previous

Return to Crafts

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login