General Discussion

Good Job, Staff

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Good Job, Staff

Postby Songweaver » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:24 pm

A thread for various shout-outs.

http://www.middle-earth.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1775

Best news I've heard in a while. Are the nest spawn-points entirely randomly for the whole map, or random to specific areas of the map so that the danger of some regions is still generally greater than the danger of other regions (such as the regions closest to Utterby and Vadok Mal)?
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Re: Good Job, Staff

Postby Alcarin » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:53 pm

To answer that question: It is 100% randomized. I'm not yet clever enough to force it not to put too many spawners in previously safe zones, though it's on my list of enhancements to make in the future.

The spawners themselves have a ramp-up time, however. Eggs will take time to hatch after they are placed, and the wolf and warg spawners have 3 phases, which take a bit of time to build up - the first phases will be no worse than what the safe zones already experience regularly.

The bear spawner is the one that is most immediately dangerous; it doesn't have phases and it doesn't care about anything except the season. Spring is most dangerous since bears are plentiful, hungry, and having children. Summer and autumn are not too dangerous, though there will be a few bears. Winter will not spawn bears unless you provoke them in their den.

So, in essence, for the moment, your best bet is to patrol the safe zones regularly and make sure to proactively drive off any spawners that appear. It shouldn't be too often or too bad, unless you get extremely unlucky or inactive. :)
Alcarin

Postby Matt » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:08 am

I don't think these nest spawners are working.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Nezerin » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:50 am

Matt wrote:I don't think these nest spawners are working.

I've seen a wolf den so I think they are. Just maybe need a speed tweak?
Nezerin
Forum Hobbit

Postby Matt » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:06 pm

Nezerin wrote:
Matt wrote:I don't think these nest spawners are working.

I've seen a wolf den so I think they are. Just maybe need a speed tweak?

I haven't seen any aggro NPCs at all since like Monday.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Alcarin » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:31 pm

Players have been pretty seriously proactive in killing off the spawners.

I've upped spawn rates a bit to compensate, the aggressive NPCs should start making appearances again soon.
Alcarin

Postby Hawkwind » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:28 pm

Love the Moonflower lore.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby tehkory » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:43 pm

Alcarin wrote:Players have been pretty seriously proactive in killing off the spawners.

I've upped spawn rates a bit to compensate, the aggressive NPCs should start making appearances again soon.

Poking my head in, briefly, but Krelm/Smooly/Matt/Someguy/Workerdrone should have some excellent input about nests, player-side. And Songweaver should, Admin-side.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Droll » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:13 pm

I'll stick my head in even though I'm noob and not any of the mentioned hardasses. The wolf den should at least spawn a trio, large bro and two other runts gaudring him. Too ez just one large wolf. Haven't seen any others.

I don't have combat skills so maybe I'm wrong.
[A burning comet headed straight for your head is online. Use NOTIFY to reply in kind.]
Droll
Honored Dwarf

Postby Matt » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:05 pm

Game crashed earlier when I was sneaking around and when I came back I was standing next to a large wolf den that spawned a pack of like 9-10. So I think we're good now haha.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Alcarin » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:20 am

Yep. Mobile spawning is still being tweaked. We went from none at all to every warg who ever lived, ever would live, and was currently living meeting for a powwow to what will now hopefully be a stable, reasonable number of mobs spawned.

Please keep the feedback coming, I'm trying to find the correct balance on this so that it will self-regulate without me. :D
Alcarin

Postby MrDvAnt » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:17 am

Alcarin wrote:Yep. Mobile spawning is still being tweaked. We went from none at all to every warg who ever lived, ever would live, and was currently living meeting for a powwow to what will now hopefully be a stable, reasonable number of mobs spawned.

Please keep the feedback coming, I'm trying to find the correct balance on this so that it will self-regulate without me. :D

Is there a prog command that will check for existing instancs of the mobs currently on the port? If so you could have it make a check every 30 minutes or hour and spawn a pack if none exist. Or something similar. That might help keep it regulated a bit.
MrDvAnt
Honored Elf

Postby Alcarin » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:19 am

Unfortunately, no, the progs cant look at hiw many mobs exist on the port. I have to instead balance average spawn rates with the time it takes mobs to disappear themselves.
Alcarin

Postby MrDvAnt » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:57 am

Alcarin wrote:Unfortunately, no, the progs cant look at hiw many mobs exist on the port. I have to instead balance average spawn rates with the time it takes mobs to disappear themselves.

Meh, guess that would've been too easy. ;)
MrDvAnt
Honored Elf

Postby Songweaver » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:17 am

There is a way to keep a total count.

Step One) Create a counter token in your admin room that you're going to use the oval values to store your total count of specific mobs on.

Step Two) Set the mobs' initial fallbacks to 0. Do an on_hour check for each of them that mcues an mprog. The prog does a set random 1d100, then does delay &(random) xcount to run a second mprog. You do this so that every mob in the game isn't running the math and storage checks from Step Three at once, which can become very buggy and create lag.

Step Three) The second mprog checks their fallback; if it's 0, it sets their fallback to '1' and grabs the oval value where you're storing that mob's count on your counter token from Step One. It uses math to add 1 to that oval value, and setval to plug the new count into the proper oval value on your counter object. If their fallback is already 1 (they've already been "counted), nothing happens.

Step Four) Create an on_death or on_health (<15) or the like mcue that runs another mprog. This mprog uses the same methods as Step Three for math, but instead subtracts 1 from the proper oval value, acknowledging the mob's death.

Step Five) Have your den spawners check against the proper counter oval values to determine whether or not you've reached your "cap" for that mob. If you have, then it doesn't spawn. You can also use some maths to keep it from over-spawning beyond the cap if you're doing randomized pack sizes (which I do suggest, to make it all more dynamic).

Step Six) Remove the morphto 86s on your mobs and let the mobs live until they are killed off, since you have hard caps in place now.

This is the system that I used in ARPI ALPHA for spawning mobs. You can also use a counter/cap system like this to put a cap on how many nests of any certain type can exist at any point, which is another good thing to do.

Hope that helps!
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby Alcarin » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:08 pm

Oh, that could definitely work. Itll take me a while to figure out, test, and take live... but ill look into doing spawns that way this weekend.
Alcarin

Postby Songweaver » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:43 pm

Now that I think about it, I might've just had the mob spawner itself add numbers to the storage counter, instead of the fallback/mcue trick. I think that's what I moved to once I realized that there's no reason to not do it that way.

Even easier!
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby MrDvAnt » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:44 pm

Alcarin wrote:Oh, that could definitely work. Itll take me a while to figure out, test, and take live... but ill look into doing spawns that way this weekend.

Yay! I made an idea!

Thanks for the help there Songweaver.
MrDvAnt
Honored Elf

Postby Songweaver » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:07 am

Kudos on taking some steps to fix the hunting skillset and economy system. I support all of the changes that Taurgalas posted yesterday.

Suggestion: Make small game hunting crafts actually kill the rabbits/squirrels/small-game, or change the crafts to just "flush" out the animals and not require setting a trap; it just doesn't make sense to create a snare, and then have your loaded mob Road Runner away from you. A simple craftprog using the rend command and an atecho can accomplish killing the NPC outright. I'd be happy to help if you wanted to do this.

Another solution is to let the craft load a hidden trap object (another craftprog set that loads the hidden trap object into the PC's hands, then forces them to "hide it"). That trap object can run an on_hour check for a chance to trap its desired small game, and when it succeeds, it sets its oval0 to 1 and changes its sdesc/ldesc to show a trapped rabbit/etc. Then, the player can run a prog to kill the trapped mob (so long as oval0=1), and hunters can set traps and then go back out and check them later. This is probably the most immersion solution.

In short, it'd be nice if the hunting crafts made sense, especially since they do require materials to make their traps (generally).
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby BashSkull52 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:23 am

Following an IG "trap line" sounds amazing.
BashSkull52
Forum Hobbit

Postby Taurgalas » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:46 am

Unfortunately, as we'very explained before, code traps do not work. We have other systems that take precedence before anyone can focus on that. Which isn't to say such thoughts aren't on our list. Just pretty far down.
[Petition:***] Why is there a pretty pink pony with doe eyes and a party-balloon cutie mark in the group?

*** orc player name edited out for his/her own protection.
Taurgalas
Master Ent

Postby Songweaver » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:16 pm

I'm not suggesting code traps. I'm suggesting adding a script to the end of your hunting crafts. Like I said, I'm willing to help you out with it, just as I'm always willing to help out with scripts.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login