It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:34 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Non-Roleplaying Commands & Character (Solved)

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Non-Roleplaying Commands & Character (Solved)

Postby Erucolindo » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:54 am

Hey folks, two questions from a brand new player for the vets and staff.

First is that on the wiki there's a very helpful guide to roleplaying commands, but as far as I can tell no guide on regular commands to move, attack, craft, or anything else. As I've never played a MUD before I'm completely unfamiliar with the commands for controlling a character, and don't know if SoI uses the same ones as other MUDs.

The other question is that I submitted my character for approval recently, but when I go back to the character generation page (To look at my 'stable' of characters as I could during the creation process) I only see the option to put in a name to create a new character. How do I check on my current character to see whether he was approved, or am I sent an email when that happens?

As an aside, I'm embarrassed to say I forgot to include my character's name among his keywords. Is that something that can be fixed by a petition later on?

Thanks for all your help, hope this post serves to help some other noob in the future as well!
Last edited by Erucolindo on Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erucolindo
Verified Member

Re: Non-Roleplaying Commands & Character

Postby Bri » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:09 am

As a player who has filled guide positions on many games and loves to help others, I'll step up and offer some insight for you on most of that.

For your first question about regular commands for movement, they are the normal n=north e=east s=south w=west u=up d=down and so on. Crafting really depends on the craft. To see a list of the available craft sets type 'crafts' then to see the crafts you can use in each of those craft sets type 'crafts (skill name)' and to see the materials you need to do the craft you use the materials command. For example roast plain-roast you would type 'm plain-roast'. For combat, I'm not terribly gifted or experienced there, but I know hit will attack till they pass out, kill will attack till they are dead (or it used to, I think it got changed) and there used to be a bash skill you could use at a certain Dex or shield proficiency and you can throw weapons into melee at the enemy while chancing hitting one of your own. If you have any other specific questions feel free to hit me up!

As for your question about the character app, you will get an email when it is either approved or denied. So no worries there. The keyword can be added by staff or you can add it once you are in game by using the keyword command.
A brown-furred, cheese-loving mutt says,
"Mendev is back and we elected him mayor, and now we're all transforming into spiders."

A brown-furred, cheese-loving mutt says,
"It's cool, though, the extra limbs are super useful."
Bri
Dwarf Recruit

Postby EltanimRas » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:06 am

Bri wrote:As for your question about the character app, you will get an email when it is either approved or denied.

This is true; however, you can also click on the "character stable" link for a list of your characters and their current status -- submitted, under review, active (approved), stabled (unsubmitted, retired), etc.

stable.png
stable.png (13.57 KiB) Viewed 795 times

The regular mud commands are much better documented in the in-game helpfiles than they are on the wiki; there's also a small newbie area you can browse after you're approved but before your PC is dumped into the story.

Meanwhile, check out these threads:
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby sagachi » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:03 am

Bri wrote:As for your question about the character app, you will get an email when it is either approved or denied.

Really? Because I have not received any emails from anything on this site despite numerous support tickets, numerous requests to admin which never seem to get read and/or responded to. Dunno if my account is just buggy or what though.
Winter is coming...
sagachi
Verified Member

Postby Erucolindo » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:19 am

Bri, Eltanim, thanks so much for your speedy aid! If I see either of you in game and am somehow not broke I'll buy you an ale in the tavern!

Eltanim - For the character generation, the character stable portion you highlighted is missing for me. Here is what I see:

I did complete a character and successfully submit it, so I know that's not an issue. Does the character stable only appear once you have at least 1 character that has been approved in the past?

Sagachi - I hope you get your issue sorted soon and we meet in game when our characters are approved! Hopefully some other new player will find our issues and the resolutions to them useful :)

Edit: Sagachi, it says you're an unverified member, did you validate your email (Or whatever it was that we had to do) initially? That may be why you're not getting replies to it, maybe it all got caught in spam including the verification.
Erucolindo
Verified Member

Postby EltanimRas » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:21 pm

Erucolindo wrote:Eltanim - For the character generation, the character stable portion you highlighted is missing for me.

I don't know! Make a second character (i.e., save a name for future use) and tell us what happens?
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby MrDvAnt » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:15 pm

Yes. You can't access your stable until you have at least two characters for some reason. They don't have to be approved though. Just start a new one and don't submit it and you'll be able to see the stable.
MrDvAnt
Honored Elf

Postby Erucolindo » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:12 pm

Thanks all! I would have tested it by creating a new character name, but I was unsure if doing so would erase my old character as he hadn't been approved yet.

Now I know that if you have two characters OR if you have a character denied (Mine was for a capitalization error) you can see the stable.

Appreciate all the advice! :D
Erucolindo
Verified Member

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login