It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:02 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

Skillcap

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Skillcap

Postby Eru » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:20 pm

Skillcap. I understand they deter players from twinking out skills and lessons but it's a pretty hard gimp to those older PC's. Personally I believe old SOI allowed for much more freedom to the player in this and I'd like to move away from the idea of SOI being a copy of Atonement's mechanics. So can we discuss alternatives or perhaps throwing it out completely?
Eru
Guide

Re: Skillcap

Postby Mavinero » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:35 pm

I would tend to agree with perhaps (at the very least) an alternative to hard skill cap as it stands at present.
A small, shell-grey-eyed male begins to flicker and flash, turning to a red color as such happens. Without warning, a slim, silver-hilted lightsaber hilt ignites with a ruby-hued length. "Incorrect. I am programmed for queries, not pleasure."
Mavinero
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Hawkwind » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:57 pm

I was under the impression that there is more than enough skill points to become impressive and even masterful in several skills. It sounds like you've already maxed out (or coming close to) your hardcap at an incredibly quick rate.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby Eru » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:19 pm

I have indeed hit my characters hardcap but the game has been out for a couple of months now. That being said, I have had enough skill points to cap a couple but that leaves little room to do anything more. I would just like the ability to add more depth to a character, within reason, which is why I wanted to return to the old way of things. Do away with the cap.
Eru
Guide

Postby Onasaki » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:38 pm

Skillcap is based on the int score, of your character. If you have a low int, you'll hit it faster then someone with a good, or higher.
I have two forces by my side
One's the truth and one's a lie
Which one's which I cannot tell
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Postby Brian » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:48 pm

If you upgrade intelligence from one of your other stats, perhaps that will allow you more flexibility?
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Hawkwind » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:04 pm

Eru wrote:I would just like the ability to add more depth to a character, within reason, which is why I wanted to return to the old way of things. Do away with the cap.

Depth does not come from skill-gains. If you feel your character lacks depth it is an RP problem, not a coded one.
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby radioactivejesus » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:06 pm

even with low average intelligence, you can get something like 8 skills up to adroit. With great or peak int, you will likely never hit your cap. You have a pretty manageable number to work with, and this is coming from a capped out low int pc who would benefit a lot from getting the cap raised
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby Brian » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:10 pm

I think one of the benefits of having a cap is also that it makes INT a much more important skill than it used to be. Before, if you had a combat character that didn't craft and wasn't a medic there was almost no reason to prioritize intelligence at all. This system makes every stat have some importance to most activities, and I think that is a benefit personally.
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Eru » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:23 pm

Hawkwind wrote:
Eru wrote:I would just like the ability to add more depth to a character, within reason, which is why I wanted to return to the old way of things. Do away with the cap.

Depth does not come from skill-gains. If you feel your character lacks depth it is an RP problem, not a coded one.

You're right, but I think you misunderstood or I said that in a way that reasoned misunderstanding. In my opinion a hardcap dictates how much you are able to do and how proficient you'll be at it. That's fine. What I don't agree with is that is limits you the player to two roles, that of a crafter or that of a combatant. You can go a hybrid of both but you're not going to go far in either role.

Brian wrote:I think one of the benefits of having a cap is also that it makes INT a much more important skill than it used to be. Before, if you had a combat character that didn't craft and wasn't a medic there was almost no reason to prioritize intelligence at all. This system makes every stat have some importance to most activities, and I think that is a benefit personally.

I completely agree, it adds an importance to intelligence again, which I'm all for. It affects how quickly you are able to raise that skill. I just don't agree with it being the sole factor in how much you can learn all in all which is why I thought perhaps suggesting an alternative might be worthwhile for those characters that want to be a combatant and dabble in crafts or vice versa.
Eru
Guide

Postby Hawkwind » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:06 am

Eru wrote:You're right, but I think you misunderstood or I said that in a way that reasoned misunderstanding. In my opinion a hardcap dictates how much you are able to do and how proficient you'll be at it. That's fine. What I don't agree with is that is limits you the player to two roles, that of a crafter or that of a combatant. You can go a hybrid of both but you're not going to go far in either role.

Ah, gotcha. Apologies. Though I agree with you on what the hardcap does, I personally enjoy such as it prevents the (Loathed, by me at least) hunter/crafter/soldier type which invariable comes to dominate gameworlds, along with crafters who arbitrarily take up another craft as a hobby. It places real value on the crafters who focus and those fighters who dedicate themselves to something.

Though if what you said earlier is true, perhaps a decrease in the speed at which he get skill-gains?
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby Nimrod » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:34 am

FYI - Skillcaps are slightly off at the moment. I will be looking at this in the coming weeks, but everyone should see a 12 to 25 percent increase in overall cap values.

I'm really amazed at how quickly some folks are able to increase their skills.
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Songweaver » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:20 am

Nimrod wrote:I'm really amazed at how quickly some folks are able to increase their skills.

Translated: You little dirty twinks.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby Erucolindo » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:53 am

Songweaver wrote:
Nimrod wrote:I'm really amazed at how quickly some folks are able to increase their skills.

As a new player I wish I knew their secrets, my skills (Except for one) seem to rise at a glacial rate. :(
Erucolindo
Verified Member

Postby Hawkwind » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:01 am

Erucolindo wrote:
Songweaver wrote:

As a new player I wish I knew their secrets, my skills (Except for one) seem to rise at a glacial rate. :(

Then good! You roleplay! We want you to stay, live long and enjoy yourself! :D
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby EltanimRas » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:25 am

I'm getting tired of RPing about how much my PCs suck at everything.

Let's bring back those magic 'study X' craftbooks. :P
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby Bones » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:43 am

I'm in favor less of a skillcap removal, and more of a 'specialty' cap. It can be very annoying to see a player start with a skill that has no relation to any other, and then steamroll through to be able to adroit metalcraft, leathercraft, woodcraft, armorcraft, and weaponcraft, which individuals are attempting to do.

We as players are not the WalMart Super Center :P
Nimrod banned me for 7 days.
Bones
Elf Recruit

Postby Nimrod » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:45 pm

Erucolindo wrote:As a new player I wish I knew their secrets, my skills (Except for one) seem to rise at a glacial rate. :(

It's no secret. Lots of online time and grinding away at their skills.
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby radioactivejesus » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:45 pm

Nimrod wrote:FYI - Skillcaps are slightly off at the moment. I will be looking at this in the coming weeks, but everyone should see a 12 to 25 percent increase in overall cap values.

nifty!
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby Eru » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:11 pm

Nimrod wrote:FYI - Skillcaps are slightly off at the moment. I will be looking at this in the coming weeks, but everyone should see a 12 to 25 percent increase in overall cap values.

The Focus and Ignore commands might also be off since you lose some [Beginner] level skills from your skills list that you're focusing on instead of keeping them and lowering the few [Amateur] level skills you have ignored.
Eru
Guide

Postby Bones » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:28 am

Speaking of skill caps. Will there be a way to see if you've 'topped' out in a skill? A highlighted skill name or something? If someone is particularly poor in a skill's stats, and they realize IC that they'll never be able to do very well at it, it would be nice to be able to determine that and put it on ignore so that skill can waste away and go into something a person can excel at.
Nimrod banned me for 7 days.
Bones
Elf Recruit

Postby Brian » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:20 pm

Bones wrote:Speaking of skill caps. Will there be a way to see if you've 'topped' out in a skill? A highlighted skill name or something? If someone is particularly poor in a skill's stats, and they realize IC that they'll never be able to do very well at it, it would be nice to be able to determine that and put it on ignore so that skill can waste away and go into something a person can excel at.

I believe that it turns a different colour when you've capped it.
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Nimrod » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:10 pm

I've bumped these up significantly for testing. Twink away.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby radioactivejesus » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:51 pm

Nimrod wrote:I've bumped these up significantly for testing. Twink away.

thanks, I will
look sword
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby Nimrod » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:48 pm

radioactivejesus wrote:thanks, I will

I've noticed.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Next

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login