It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:17 am
Change font size
Forum Home Public Crafts

Crafts

Crafting Requests

Suggest crafts, talk about existing crafts, debate the finer points of your craftiness.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: Crafting Requests

Postby Asthy » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:26 pm

I've been told that the craft (the one and only) for fishing, seems buggy. I disagree entirely, but I was thinking that perhaps the difficulty on it might need a look after using the craft to its maximum today. After ~50 attempts, over the period of an hour or two real time, I was left with four fish and of course, a maxed out timer. Again, if this was the intent, to keep things like the fish oil numbers down, there is no issue. That being said, in order to not have the fish just rot away, it stands to reason that you'd need at the -very- least, a lot of luck, or a 'familiar' rating in the fishing skill or above. In total, I'm sure I've had well over 75 attempts, maybe even 100 over the last week, netting a grand total of five whole fish. If this was the intention of the staff, again, please disregard this entirely. Otherwise my suggestion would be to make the 4th (consecutive) skill check something less than mastery level.

Goodbye, and thanks for the fish.
Asthy

Postby Meneldor » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:30 am

You can now cut large and medium squares down to smalls.
Meneldor
Raptor Overlord

Postby Inzannadee » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:22 pm

Meneldor wrote:You can now cut large and medium squares down to smalls.

Could we make this also cut large/medium oiled squares instead of only the standard squares?

This would be especially helpful since the small oiled squares have been decaying on me within minutes (haven't tried it lately though). I could cut the large oiled squares and go immediately to making gloves!
Inzannadee
Dwarf Recruit

Postby AdamBlue » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:28 pm

Spider armor.
AdamBlue
Dwarf Recruit

Postby LadyMizra » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:03 am

AdamBlue wrote:Spider armor.

Yes. Also roasted spider?
LadyMizra
Dwarf Recruit

Postby CassandraBanana » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:12 am

Could we get wooden shaft added to scrap wooden-items?
That would be great!
"Lust like a sinner. Trust like a saint."
CassandraBanana
Verified Member

Postby CassandraBanana » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:03 pm

Just an idea...

Maybe we could have it so that we can re-bundle arrows...?

They start in groups of six when they are made, and turn into a huge mess of single arrows. Maybe something that allows us to small-bundle, large-bundle, etc? It would cut down on some serious clutter. :)
CassandraBanana
Verified Member

Postby cfelch » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:50 pm

Flintiknapping for stone tools.
I would love to see some trapping style crafts that create corpses.
I would love to see open foraging return., with more than food.
I would also like to see a craft for applying a makers mark.
Every point ever made was an argument.
cfelch
Elf Recruit

Postby Brian » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:11 am

cfelch wrote:.
I would also like to see a craft for applying a makers mark.

If I've read it correctly, I believe that is the kind of thing the artistry skill and the decorate command is for. That way you can add your makers mark in the extra description of the decoration for the item.
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby CassandraBanana » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:36 pm

cfelch wrote:I would love to see some trapping style crafts that create corpses.

I love this idea. Cutting a live animal from a snare (to me) defeats the purpose of setting a snare for them to start with.
CassandraBanana
Verified Member

Postby EltanimRas » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:55 pm

It would even be an improvement if (as has been suggested before) we went back to the old 'flush' crafts from SoI2 -- at least it made sense for those to produce fleeing animals!
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby Onasaki » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:03 am

Pauldrons.
I have two forces by my side
One's the truth and one's a lie
Which one's which I cannot tell
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Postby radioactivejesus » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:14 pm

Is it possible to get rat-pelts added to the sew rawhide-hood, sew rawhide-leggings and sew rawhide-gambeson crafts? Squirrel pelts are a valid material source for at least the hood, so rats should be a suitable equivalent. As this is a goblin-only craft, overgrown diseased tunnel rats make a more thematic choice in yrchish fashion, too
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby radioactivejesus » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:42 pm

oh, forgot to mention...
Currently torches are uncraftable by orcs, due to us not having access to fabric. That's a pretty big deal when you live in a dark mountain. Perhaps animal fat and rawhide would make a usable alternative to cloth torches?
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby cfelch » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:31 pm

On that... I would expect creatures who liver perpetually in near dark conditions, to either get extremely good night-vision, or a means to make vision irrelevant.

Which goes harkens back to an idea i had for mbient light levels.
Each race getting a Prime Vision number (1-100) and a Range Buffer.

PV +/- RB = can see

Then each light source in a room can add values to the ambient light level.
Too much glowing moss in a section of tunnels could make the place to bright for orcs to comfortably see.

And to bring this post back on topic, I am requesting a craft to find phosphorescent moss.
Once harvested you have a torch you cant put out and preferably it would give a message about crumbling to dust when its 'fuel' runs out.
cfelch
Elf Recruit

Postby radioactivejesus » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:55 pm

cfelch wrote:On that... I would expect creatures who liver perpetually in near dark conditions, to either get extremely good night-vision, or a means to make vision irrelevant.

Which goes harkens back to an idea i had for mbient light levels.
Each race getting a Prime Vision number (1-100) and a Range Buffer.

PV +/- RB = can see

Then each light source in a room can add values to the ambient light level.
Too much glowing moss in a section of tunnels could make the place to bright for orcs to comfortably see.

I like this idea, actually. On old SOI, orcs received a penalty during the day, in return for perfect night vision. But really, orcs don't have night vision goggles, they're just slightly more adept at seeing in the night. Could even be simplified by just letting them see in the same room as themselves, but not being able to scan, in the same way as a torch.
look sword
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby cfelch » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:41 am

This would be more an extention of the crafts command then an actual craft in its own right.

'crafts now'

Would return a list of the crafts that you know that are currently possible to do, by nature of the terrain, or the objects in the room or in hand.

Also, would it be possible for crafting in general to have a broader scope? Give it access to the contents of any open container in the room or in inventory.

Yea, its a little more work in the initial coding, especially if you want to reference gathering and returning each of the various tools used in their time.
But it would make actual gameplay easier, as well as clean up certain areas of the game that are left cluttered out of convenience in crafting.

Just a thought.
cfelch
Elf Recruit

Postby cfelch » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:49 am

Also, i have noticed that some crafts require x of a given item in the room.
Yet those self same items get y uses.
Is there a reason we cannot just take x uses out of one item?
Or split it between as many items as necessary to get the task done, if the one item doesn't have enough uses left?
cfelch
Elf Recruit

Postby Dirgs » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:38 am

radioactivejesus wrote:oh, forgot to mention...
Currently torches are uncraftable by orcs, due to us not having access to fabric. That's a pretty big deal when you live in a dark mountain. Perhaps animal fat and rawhide would make a usable alternative to cloth torches?

Or even just add 'a ragged patchwork tunic' and 'a ragged patchwork loincloth' (the newbie clothes) to the 'tear cloth-bandages' craft? I know the desc says they contain leather and so on, but it'd help solve the lack of rags on the orcish side fairly easily...
Dirgs
Forum Hobbit

Postby teepu » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:35 am

requesting FORGE review:

Can the forges be set back to using a one time four or five bundles of firewood and stay lit for a certain period of time. So that the crafts requiring a lit forge, do not use up a bundle -every- one time.

Lack of firewood can sometime become quite a nuisance.
teepu
Guide

Postby Bones » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:08 pm

Leather/Iron masks, visors, etc. Something to protect the face.

I say this from seeing a large number of face wounds in the last two weeks.

And this would probably appeal to any Beornings, as they could do custom leatherwork for animals, etc. Or anyone.

But please.. Face protection. It's -very- important..
Nimrod banned me for 7 days.
Bones
Elf Recruit

Postby Eru » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:46 pm

Bones wrote:Leather/Iron masks, visors, etc. Something to protect the face.

I say this from seeing a large number of face wounds in the last two weeks.

And this would probably appeal to any Beornings, as they could do custom leatherwork for animals, etc. Or anyone.

But please.. Face protection. It's -very- important..

Where be the fancy gorgets!? :D
Eru
Guide

Postby Bones » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:13 am

Hauberks and gambesons provide neck cover... Not face cover.. You don't need gorgets as much as we need FACE PROTECTION. Or else I swear I'll punctuate everything with 'Boom.. Headshot..'
Nimrod banned me for 7 days.
Bones
Elf Recruit

Postby Brian » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:58 am

Isn't it fairly realistic that the face is usually a vulnerable area unless wearing a full helm?
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby ironhelix » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:19 am

Brian wrote:Isn't it fairly realistic that the face is usually a vulnerable area unless wearing a full helm?

Not exactly. Historically, most open-faced armored helmets that were popular featured 'cheek pieces', or long bits of armor that come from the sides of the head to partially wrap around the face for protection. Open-faced sallet helms, a popular helm for archers in medieval times, are often depicted as being given to footsoldiers, but professional armies used better gear.

However, if we take what we see from the movies as representative of warfare in Middle Earth, the most likely helm is a version of the barbute, an open-faced helm with excellent cheek and face protection - Gondorians, High Elves, and Easterlings are all shown using a version of the barbute. An example of this that we're probably all familiar with as well is the movie 300 - a Hoplite helm is also a version of the barbute.
ironhelix
Verified Member

PreviousNext

Return to Crafts

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login