It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:50 pm
Change font size
Forum Home Public Orcs

Orcs

Orc Gambling : Toss

All things yrkin. A place for Staff and players alike to use this space to coordinate RPTs and in-game events. Please keep in-character information off of this board.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Orc Gambling : Toss

Postby Oblivion » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:23 pm

Takes place between two individuals:
Challenger = Red bone pieces
Defender = Black bone pieces

Each bone piece has a painted side (red/black) and an unpainted side (white).

The board is a circle on the ground.

General premise:
One gambler picks another gambler. The first is the Challenger, the second is the Defender. The Challenger then states how many bones he's going to throw before beginning to toss.

With a maximum of 15 bone pieces, the Challenger tosses as many as they stated into the circle, rolling vs dex ooc (unmodified) to determine how many of his bone pieces land properly. A success is determined as an in the circle, color up bone piece.

The Defender then has an equal number of his own bone pieces as the Challenger chose, to toss into the circle and cover the pieces that landed colored side up. The Defender, who has to actually land their bone pieces on top of the Challenger's pieces, is required to roll vs dex hard ooc to represent the higher difficulty of the task.

So, if the Challenger chooses to toss 10 bone chips, but only seven land with success, the Defender then has 10 bone chips to toss in order to cover those seven successes.

There isn't any required betting for the game to take place, and seeing as how the majority of orcs don't get any paydays, even a copper bet is usually something to get rowdy over when it happens. Sometimes even things like bits of personal gear can be used as bet material against something of equal value.

*end of details*
Comments? Criticism? Suggestions to make the game more viable/interesting? Feel free to offer them.
Oblivion
Dwarf Recruit

Re: Orc Gambling : Toss

Postby radioactivejesus » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:49 pm

I like it. The more gambling activities orcs have to do in their free time the better. There's plenty of roleplay/grudges/brutal violence that can stem from a game of chance. Five-finger-fillet is also a popular game amongst orcs
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby Hawkwind » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:03 pm

On a related note can we talk about the lost orcish art of Spatting?
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby mongwen » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:22 pm

I've only seen a lesson in how *not* to do it, as I understand things, but it's explained IG for those who care to read archived messages (probably very few, I'm a geek like that). Drawing a weapon is a loss, and otherwise the idea is to throw insults at one another until one has no answer or compliments the other on their insulting abilities, or something like that I think? It's not something I'm actually interested in doing either IC or OOC, but it's probably fun to watch. I'm not very good at insults. Modern profanity doesn't count.
A yellow-eyed, blotchy-fleshed brown uruk slowly slunks over, sneakily swaggering with a sleek step.
mongwen
Honored Dwarf

Postby Hawkwind » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:43 pm

That's the thing, in the past people would draw a weapon and shout "HA! NOT SO TOUGH NOW ARE YOU?" as they attack their opponent which utterly defeats the point of the art of spatting. It's mean to get under the skin, to annoy, to distract, shame, offend and such. Another thing is you don't just string a random set of swear words and grotesque things together, it's just stupid.
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby LadyMizra » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:23 pm

Hawkwind wrote:That's the thing, in the past people would draw a weapon and shout "HA! NOT SO TOUGH NOW ARE YOU?" as they attack their opponent which utterly defeats the point of the art of spatting. It's mean to get under the skin, to annoy, to distract, shame, offend and such. Another thing is you don't just string a random set of swear words and grotesque things together, it's just stupid.

You should post and make a guide to the ancient art of spatting oh great spatting guru. Teach us your ways! :lol:
LadyMizra
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Hawkwind » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:25 pm

I'll see what I can do. :D
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby radioactivejesus » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:00 pm

LadyMizra wrote:
Hawkwind wrote:That's the thing, in the past people would draw a weapon and shout "HA! NOT SO TOUGH NOW ARE YOU?" as they attack their opponent which utterly defeats the point of the art of spatting. It's mean to get under the skin, to annoy, to distract, shame, offend and such. Another thing is you don't just string a random set of swear words and grotesque things together, it's just stupid.

You should post and make a guide to the ancient art of spatting oh great spatting guru. Teach us your ways! :lol:

see board post 138. Basically, whoever can come up with the better insults wins, and drawing a weapon is instant disqualification.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby Brian » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:21 pm

radioactivejesus wrote:
LadyMizra wrote:

see board post 138. Basically, whoever can come up with the better insults wins, and drawing a weapon is instant disqualification.

To which said orc says "Disqualify THIS!" *neck stab*
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Oblivion » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:49 pm

That, unfortunately, is how it typically plays out when player orcs 'spat' at other player orcs.

One draws, the other says 'Ha you lose' and then the one that draws proceeds to get a few free hits before the other orc gets his weapons/shield ready and when the fight's over and one is on the ground bleeding unconscious or dead, the 'loser' says 'I win'.

The biggest challenge is that players never want to admit being 'defeated' especially if they happen to know their combat stats are 'good' compared to the other person who got the better insults, and eventually devolve it into a fight passing it off as orcish nature. This can in some cases be true, but then it requires the rest of the orc population to degrade the one who attacked (even if that orc won the melee) which usually ends up with that orc attacking even more people etc etc to try and 'regain dominance'.
Oblivion
Dwarf Recruit

Postby radioactivejesus » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:51 am

it's at the point when combat starts that any spectators should jump on whoever initiated a fight in the middle of a spat and beat him down. With the way combat code is set up, it's extremely rare for a single pc to be able to wipe the floor with 2 or 3 opponents with similar levels of skills, regardless of stats. Any cheaters at spatting generally give the spectators the chance to take everything they want from him without fear of reprisal.
look sword
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Return to Orcs

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login