It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:11 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

What is Shadows of Isildur?

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

What is Shadows of Isildur?

Postby Nimrod » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:15 pm

I think this question will be answered in a different way by anyone who seriously attempts to answer. I dare you.

To me, Shadows of Isildur is an enduring place, filled with heroic stories of the everyman (or woman). It's not about labels, it's about heart and being willing to immerse yourself in the world. Using your imagination to fully flesh out the nooks and crannies of the game world. Slowly sipping at the well, rather than trying to drink it down in a gulp.

It's about the players creating this world in a realistic fashion and soaking it all in. It's about sustaining the suspense of a thing, letting it simmer to become a beautiful story that fully meshes in your mind.

It is free-form art at the best of times, filled gut-wrenching grief, terror beyond measure, duty, honor... and yes, love.

It is a many-years aged wine that just gets better and better with each passing moment, meant to be savored over a decade or more rather than weeks or months.

You all impress me, every single day. Thank you all, for being the best damned players we could ever hope for.
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Re: What is Shadows of Isildur?

Postby Hawkwind » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:39 pm

It will forever be the place i met my wife of some 5 years now, as a roguish skirtchaser in snakeskin pants. It is to me a beautiful woman you want to spend all your waking hours with, to make her laugh, to smile, to blush and giggle, to recall fondly with and be smashed in the gut with a mace with.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby Tepes » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:32 pm

It will never be the same as it once was.
Tepes
Honored Dwarf

Postby Nimrod » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:56 pm

Tepes wrote:It will never be the same as it once was.

I agree, Tepes. I hope we're never the same as we have been in the past. We're a far different game now than we were just a scant few months ago. The game is what the players make of it for themselves, hence my asking what it was to each of you.

I appreciate the input, pithy as it was.
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Patty » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:08 pm

It's a rare outlet to collaborate with others and still be able to entertain myself at the same time.
<****** / ^^^^^^ / ||||||>
The head is there.
Patty
Honored Dwarf

Postby Deacon » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:59 am

Shadows of Isildur is a great memory for me. The time I spent playing and working here was amazing. I tried other games, but nothing else comes close, so I quit role play games altogether.
The lights are on, but nobody's home... :-(
Deacon
Verified Member

Postby cfelch » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:31 pm

To me, SoI is a utopia of roleplaying.
It was never about the Tolien canon for me, though I do appreciate it.

Its not about the mechanical grind, there are other games with smoother more intuitive mechanics for personal progression.
Though personally, I do enjoy the overall slower pace of the game world.

Its the fact that the players (staff included) actually seem willing to work together to achieve a more immersive world.
Sure, they still can be a bit twinky at times to achieve their own character's agendas.
But there is a lot less of the cliquey, elitist atmosphere I have found in other games.
Maybe that is just a by product of permadeath, and that annoying guy just popping back up to annoy you again, I don't know.

But that's why I keep coming back.
Every point ever made was an argument.
cfelch
Elf Recruit

Postby Thorongil » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:52 pm

What IS Shadows of Isildur? I cannot answer that, as I'm not currently playing.

What SOI *was*, however, and what it means to me...

Shadows of Isildur was a place where roleplay was paramount to all else. It was about telling stories. Not all of those stories were about heroes or heroines. It was about the kindly baker down the street, who was always a little bit tormented inside. It was about the clever Rogue, who could be both a master criminal and a good friend. It was about a sad Gondorian man that joined up with a cult because his affections weren't returned by someone that just couldn't possibly understand him. And, too, it was about the mighty Captain of the Garrison, that kept all of those other people safe.

Shadows of Isildur was a melting pot, where many different play styles were accommodated, and yet they all came together to weave into this complex story filled with heroes and anti-heroes, where at any given time there were dozens of things to run off and do. At the end of the day, though, I could always sit back and think. I could wonder what someone's motivations were and ponder at the complexities of their character. Each and every story made me feel something...joy, sorrow, pride, revulsion, pity...sometimes all at once. It's an experience that I've tried to find elsewhere, but to no avail.

It's also a place where I was allowed to live in a world that I loved: Tolkien's Middle-earth. I can still remember running into my first PC orc as a human character. The poor creature. I remember sparing his life, so that the vile, wretched thing could instead do me a favor in return. I don't think I ever saw him again.

There was a time when SOI was great. Perhaps the Tree will blossom again, and those times will return. :)
Thorongil
Verified Member

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login