It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:54 am
Change font size
Forum Home Public Orcs

Orcs

Warg Docs

All things yrkin. A place for Staff and players alike to use this space to coordinate RPTs and in-game events. Please keep in-character information off of this board.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Warg Docs

Postby krelm » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:44 pm

Clans: Wargs of The Wild

Organization and Society

Warg packs are led by a chief, or chieftain, who typically attains this high position through intimidation or excessive violence. The chief is the ultimate authority in the pack, and the only warg allowed to breed within the pack. Within the pack, only the chief may mate with bitches. The chief gets first share of all plunder from raids, and is also the first wolf to eat from any kill. The chief may be challenged at any time, however, and a chief that shirks from a meaningful challenge automatically forfeits their right to be chief. These challenges are often bloody fights to submission or - in rarer cases - to the death.

Beneath the Warg Chieftain, there is little official organization - there are no recruits, or corporals, or sergeants. Instead, there is a rigidly enforced pecking order based on each warg's individual prowess. Every warg knows their place within the pack absolutely in comparison to all other wargs in that pack. This pecking order is often enforced through frequent fighting and posturing, and new additions to the pack often spend their first few days battling other wargs rather than the enemy until order can be reasserted.

It is not shameful to be beaten by another warg, however. If a warg loses a fight with another warg, then that warg is superior to them - and they are obeyed without question, at least until the more lowly-positioned warg can defeat them and usurp their place in the pack. As a result, lowly stationed wargs will not lead wargs above them into battle - wargs may only lead others into battle who are inferior to them. If a lowly warg were to attempt to lead superior wargs into battle, or on a raid, or during a hunt, that lowly warg would be - in essence - challenging each of those more dominant wargs, and should they assent to be led about, they would forfeit their superior places in the pack. Were this to happen, the low warg would be positioned above them and become superior to them. Likewise, an idle warg cannot expect to maintain a high position in the pack.

As with the chief, pecking order determines when a warg eats, what part of the kill they eat, and what share of the plunder they receive.

Wargs abhor uselessness. Even if a warg can no longer fight, they are still expected to contribute to the group. These maimed, old, or imbecile wargs are given the title singer, and are expected to serve as the keepers of the history of the wargs - oral storytellers who record the deeds of the pack's mightiest, and sing the old stories of the past.

These singers, however, are generally held in contempt in warg society. They are seen as a necessary, but weak, part of the pack, and as a result, they form the bottom rungs of the group. They eat last of all wargs, and receive little to no plunder from raids. Despite this contempt, however, a singer is protected. It is unforgivable to kill a singer, or cripple him further, as a singer is the sacred keeper of the great, storied history of the warg-race. And this history is held in high regard, even if the singers of it are not. So while it's true that a singer often starves, they will never die because of it.

Warg packs range in size. Some small packs have only five or ten wargs to them, while the greatest packs that range along the Edge of the Wild have been known to reach into their hundreds.

Religion

Wargs worship a god-figure they sometimes refer to as Thû, but most commonly call ‘Great Pale Father’ in their own unlovely tongue. The tales of Elves would call this figure Draugluin, the first werewolf created by Morgoth. The Pale Father was the first of all werewolves, and the creator of all wargs, but wargs credit Red Maw, known to Elves as Carcharoth or Anfauglir, as the sire of their line.

The most cherished and most often retold story for wolves is of Thû, Red Maw and the Wolfhound - a creation myth of sorts that chronicles the death and rebirth of the Great Pale Father, the fall of Red Maw, and the rise of all wargs of the Wild. It is the Wargs vision of Draugluin and Carcharoth and their great battle with Beren and Huan.

In the wargs' imagining of the story, a great enemy of the wargs attacks the ancestral home of the wargs, a place called Tol-gaur, and defeats Thû in single combat. This enemy is only called 'Hound' or 'Wolfhound' by the wargs, and never by name, though it is rumored that the singers still know their enemy's true name. To utter it would be the gravest insult and sin a warg could commit, and it would be the duty of all wargs in utterance of that name to tear the speaker of it apart.

This creation myth, in which Red Maw is ultimately destroyed by burning coals after avenging the Great Pale Father by killing the Hound in single combat, is said to be (by wargs) the source of their hatred of fire and magic. That their retelling of the story removes the magical element to the burning coals, rather than give proper breadth and power to the near mystical Silmarilli is likely further evidence of this deep-rooted fear.

Physical Traits

Though larger, faster and stronger than common wolves, wargs are essentially still just that - wolves, though with a cunning and evil intelligence. Their coats come in a number of colours - most often some variant of brown or black, but sometimes also in grey or, more rarely, white. Eye colour is more varied than pelt colour; wargs may have black eyes, yellow eyes, red eyes, or even blue or brown eyes - though blue eyes that persist into adulthood are held in contempt, as blue eyes are for puppies, and are often the mark of an idiot.

Wargs possess a strong jaw full of fangs made for tearing, and possess blunt claws on each of the digits of their paws. Their tails are often bushy and long, though it is not unusual to see a stub-tailed warg prowling about, the victim of past violence.

Warg Riding

Warg riders are considered the elite among goblin-kind, and the trials and rituals involved in becoming one are extensive and challenging. Those who do survive them to become warg riders are often treated with respect, fear, jealousy and fascination by other goblins. Their lives are harsh, short, but full of excitement, bloodshed and glory.

The rituals associated with becoming a warg rider take place over several days, though they do not need to be consecutive. In reality, sometimes a week or more might pass between each of the trials.

First Trial

The first trial a goblin attempts is relatively simple, and is more of an entrance fee than a true test of strength, courage or cunning - though it is still expected that the goblin will be tested in all these things during it. Essentially, a goblin must go out alone and hunt down a meal for the wargs. This meal may be anything - from mice or fish to bears, deer or even human or elvish flesh. Poor offerings are not usually accepted, however, and a goblin who offers the wargs a paltry meal might find themselves becoming the main course instead. But should the wargs be content with this offering, the goblin will be allowed to proceed to other rituals in the following days.

Second Trial

After the first trial is accomplished, the goblin's testing begins in earnest. The second trial may begin at any time, and the goblin does not need to be informed of the starting of the test beforehand. All wargs of the pack are encouraged to stalk the goblin, tracking him throughout The Wild, and to attack him through a series of vicious ambushes. The whole pack will not mob the goblin, but usually prefer to let one or two wargs fight the goblin at a time, cycling through the pack. This is not play fighting. Though it is not their first intent to kill the goblin in this test, if the goblin is especially weak, or pathetic, they may do so out of spite. This test is considered passed if the goblin can survive the day, and is not permanently maimed in the process of surviving it. It is permissable for the goblin to attempt to survive in any way available to them, but hiding behind doors is considered shameful and will be considered an immediate failure. Immediate failures may result in death, if the cowardly goblin is happened upon by wargs at a later date.

Third Trial

This trial is simple. After passing the rigorous second test, the goblin must present themselves to the gathered pack in a clearing place. There, the goblin must fight the wargs en masse, with the intent of lasting as long as possible in the combat, and forcing wargs to flee from it. If a goblin is forced to flee from the fight too early, they fail. If, however, they manage to hold their own, and even put a few wargs to flight themselves, they pass, and also gain the grudging acknowledgement of those they've beaten. Once this test is complete, they are considered an honourary member of the pack.

Choosing a Warg to Ride

Once a member of the pack, the goblin must then choose a warg to ride - but, perhaps predictably, no warg will just let themselves be ridden. The goblin must fight, beat, and in doing so dominate the warg they have chosen in single combat. Should the warg be beaten, they will submit to be ridden by the goblin that beat them. Wargs do not mind being ridden if it is by someone superior to their own abilities - but this will not stop the warg from challenging the
rider periodically, either. If a warg can beat their rider, they will not let themselves be ridden. It is that simple.

Pack Law
* The chief is Law.
* Only the chief may mate.
* The chief eats first. All others after him eat according to their worth.
* The chief takes first from plunder. All others after him take according to their worth.
* If a pack-mate submits in a fight, that surrender must be accepted.
* If a challenge is presented, it must be accepted.
* Newcomers to the pack must be tested until their place within the pack is determined.
* Singers eat last.
* Singers may not be killed by any member of the pack.
* Any member of the pack who kills a singer must be banished, or killed.
* A singer who forgets their song may be beaten so they better remember it next time.
* When in doubt, might makes right.

Slang

Dog - used perjoratively to describe a creature or thing, suggesting
incompetence, incontinence, impotence, weakness, unholiness, and proud boastfulness without the ability to back it up. Ie, "You really dogged it back there on the hunt." - Or, "You are worse than worthless, you dog." Other words, such as 'mongrel' or 'cur' may be substituted for dog.

Maggot - a semi-affectionate term for newborn wargs. Mildly offensive
if used to refer to an adult warg if the adult is more highly positioned in the pack than the speaker.

Cooked - used to imply a situation has gone awry, or contrary to
expectations in a negative manner. Ie, "The raid's cooked."

Sing, Singing - In some contexts, singing may be used to refer to
any dialogue, spoken or internalized, that calls on, refers to, honours or disparges the dead. Ie, "One Eye sang to Red Maw last night, but I doubt He heard him over all the dogging."

Fire - in this context, madness. Ie, "He's got fire in him." / "He's
on fire." - or: "He is utterly mad."

What the Layman Knows About Wargs:

Elves, men, and dwarves would know little about wargish society - while the former may know that wargs have a society and culture, the two latter would be wholly unaware, and see them as little more than vicious wolves. They know that wargs operate as packs, and if observant they would notice that wargs operate in the SAME packs, but as to the hierarchy or specific social structure of these packs, they would know nothing.

What the Layork Knows About Wargs:

Orks have at least a middling understanding about wargish society, since they understand that Might Makes Right more than any other creature that walks Middle-Earth. Orks understand that powerful wargs and warg packs are to be respected, or at least feared, because no warg is going to let a stupid or otherwise weak orc ride them. Any orc who wishes to be a warg rider and has at least the very basic of survival instincts is going to know the rituals to become a rider. Orks may know that wargs have some form of religion, and there are perhaps even some who have sat in on Singer tales, but the intricacies are lost on them.

-As compiled by Wolfsong and myself with editing from Frigga.
Last edited by krelm on Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Re: Warg Docs

Postby Real » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:33 pm

This is so awesome. My next PC is 100% gonna be a warg.
Everything gets smaller now the further that I go
Towards the mouth and the reunion of the known and the unknown
Consider yourself lucky if you think of it as home
You can move mountains with your misery if you don't
Real
Elf Recruit

Postby radioactivejesus » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:35 pm

I like it. Pretty pumped about this new race coming ingame.
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby Brian » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:50 pm

Very interesting documentation though I see an area of potential concern unless female wargs are not open to the playerbase.

SoI had (and I assume still has) a very strict policy about non-consensual sex scenes, and this documentation outlines that the chief can take any of the females at any time, no questions asked. If female PC wargs are allowed either this documentation will need to change, or the Chief warg will have to RP not being interested or only mating with the other virtual NPC wargs, unless the female PC warg gives express consent for any activities of a sexual nature.
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby WorkerDrone » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:05 pm

A good point, I think. I think all that needs to be done is a slight rephrasing, I.E, only the Chief may lay with the females of the pack, and the Chief only lays with the willing regardless/in addition.

It is worth noting at all, though, because culturally a warg wouldn't let anyone but the best mate, lest the next generation wind up weaklings. Or that'd be their perspective on it, anyway.
I hope you die right now, will you drink my chemical?

Brian wrote:See, the thing that I admire about WorkerDrone is that he's an optimist!

:lol:
WorkerDrone
Guide

Postby ThinkTwice » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:30 pm

I like how it reads. :) Those lines are hard and in your face, as playing a warg should be.

There just needs to be an OOC caveat right beneath it that says as hard and in your face as wargs are, we aren't wargs, we're human beings. Don't be scum, get OOC consent for everything, always. 8-)
ThinkTwice
Honored Dwarf

Postby LadyMizra » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:45 pm

ThinkTwice wrote:I like how it reads. :) Those lines are hard and in your face, as playing a warg should be.

There just needs to be an OOC caveat right beneath it that says as hard and in your face as wargs are, we aren't wargs, we're human beings. Don't be scum, get OOC consent for everything, always. 8-)

It's against the rules to ever rp rape. Thats why it would be better to change the wording so no one thinks its now okay to roleplay.
LadyMizra
Dwarf Recruit

Postby ThinkTwice » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:48 pm

... Ever? Even with two consenting adults? Is torture banned as well?

Huh.
ThinkTwice
Honored Dwarf

Postby LadyMizra » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:00 pm

ThinkTwice wrote:... Ever? Even with two consenting adults? Is torture banned as well?

Huh.

I'm not positive on torture, I -think- its okay to rp out if both consent. But nope, the rules say no rape rp even if its oocly consented to.
LadyMizra
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Brian » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:33 pm

LadyMizra wrote:
ThinkTwice wrote:... Ever? Even with two consenting adults? Is torture banned as well?

Huh.

I'm not positive on torture, I -think- its okay to rp out if both consent. But nope, the rules say no rape rp even if its oocly consented to.

LadyMizra has the right of it. You can RP consensual sexual activity, so long as both players have OOC consented, but never rape. Personally, I think that's absolutely a fine line to draw if a line needs to be drawn somewhere.
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Melkor » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:33 am

Hate to be the bad guy again (or maybe I like it a little :twisted: ) but I can't see how this made it into the game. It strikes me as rather absurd. This is the kind of thing that should be animated by staff.

Not the documentation itself. That looks great, I just don't like the idea of playable wargs in general.
Last edited by Melkor on Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
“If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.”

― René Descartes
Melkor
Honored Dwarf

Postby Yoink » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:10 am

Seems pretty cool to me!
Just so long as we don't end up with pet dogs/wolves as PCs, too, haha. That scared me a bit when I saw it mentioned in the Moot. :P
Droll wrote:You know they are going to sic an ent on us right?
Forest fire prpt tonight. Bring torches.
Yoink
Dwarf Recruit

Postby krelm » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:36 am

Tweaked the phrasing.
One among the fence.
krelm

Postby Songweaver » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:32 am

If one were to play a female warg, to skirt around the issue of non-consentual sex (which is a legitimate issue here), the best approach would be to play a female warg that is not (or is no longer) desirable for mating.

Additionally, that section of the documentation can be ignored for the purposes of live play, and one can just assume that all chiefs mate a lot, and most female wargs bang the chief a lot, off-screen.

The first people to actually play out warg mudsex will have reached a new low. Like, lower than using the Atonement ALPHA Virtual Reality Combat Simulator to virtually roleplay out their characters also virtually roleplaying out sex.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby Matt » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:41 am

A curvy, big-breasted wargess is here.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby radioactivejesus » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:47 am

Yoink wrote:Seems pretty cool to me!
Just so long as we don't end up with pet dogs/wolves as PCs, too, haha. That scared me a bit when I saw it mentioned in the Moot. :P

yea, playable dogs and wolves would be crossing the line way too far. I honestly thought that question was a gag
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby Hawkwind » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:59 pm

i would love to see a trial run of experienced mordor sphers players to demo it. With wargs having strict avenues of rp it can very easily turn in to a frenzy of chief killing. People who can reign in their ability to behead a sphere and take over leadership. Wargs submit -read submit- to being ridden, they are not the leaders of mordor that some players can easily fashion them in to.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby krelm » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:19 pm

Hawkwind wrote:i would love to see a trial run of experienced mordor sphers players to demo it. With wargs having strict avenues of rp it can very easily turn in to a frenzy of chief killing. People who can reign in their ability to behead a sphere and take over leadership. Wargs submit -read submit- to being ridden, they are not the leaders of mordor that some players can easily fashion them in to.

Just to clarify, while wargs DO submit to being ridden, they only do so to orcs that have sufficiently proven themselves. But you're right, a warg's never gonns wind up as the leader of anything more than his pack, at best.
One among the fence.
krelm

Postby Croaker » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:46 am

I have waited since 2004 to play a warg, and when I finally get the chance, you take my docs and turn them into an issue about rape.

I am pretty sure I hate all of you.

Edit:

Let me just wrap my head around this. You guys are legitimately worried that other players will be unable to contain their mad urges to dog rape other player dogs. Where am I? HellMOO? Holy $! $÷

BECAUSE OF YOU PEOPLE, I HAVE TO POST THIS:

Why Crazy Rape Sprees Aren't Actually A Legitimate Issue With Wargs, But Are For Everybody Else

All bitches belong to the Chief.

Essentially, this means:

1. No wargs but for a single PC at any time would ever even express sexual interest in female wargs.
2. That single PC is the Chief.
3. Therefore, female wargs are more safe than most of the rest of the female PCs in the game.
4. If that single PC is unable to stop raping other PCs, they should not be a CLAN LEADER.

Edited by Frigga: No need for f-bombs.
Last edited by Croaker on Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Croaker
Forum Hobbit

Postby WorkerDrone » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:50 am

Croaker wrote:I am pretty sure I hate all of you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gFnCwVqbWs

Brian wrote:See, the thing that I admire about WorkerDrone is that he's an optimist!

WorkerDrone
Guide

Postby Croaker » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:03 am

Here are some legitimate questions about the warg documentation:

Wolfsong, you might ask, does it even really make sense for wargs to have a rich, detailed oral history that sets Red Maw up as Jesus, Draugluin as God, and Sauron as the Holy Ghost?

Wolfsong, you might ask, what is Morgoth? Chopped liver?

Wolfsong, you might ask, why do you always never ever stop talking about Beren and Luthien, even now?

Wolfsong, why do you like that one song by Blind Guardian so much?

Wolfsong, what's Blind Guardian?

Wolfsong, how long do wargs live for?

Wolfsong, are wargs really, really, really all that intelligent?

Wolfsong, why are wargs basically Norse?

Wolfsong, why do you hate skalds so much?
Croaker
Forum Hobbit

Postby WorkerDrone » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:04 am

Nope. Let's take one almost innocuous line from the text you've provided and press the point about doggie MUDSEX.

WorkerDrone
Guide

Postby Brian » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:49 am

Let me just wrap my head around this. You guys are legitimately worried that other players will be unable to contain their mad urges to dog rape other player dogs. Where am I? HellMOO? Holy shit.

The documentation as it was written stated that the chief could take any female and they wouldn't fathom saying no. That documentation is the guide that new players who may never even have mudded before would follow in order to know what warg society was like. That single point is against a long standing game wide policy. I don't really see the issue, especially if players are as mature and level headed as you claim they are.

Do they need to have the conceptual option to be able to take a female warg at will but then not use that option for your conception to be feel pure? Your reaction to changing the wording of something slightly to prevent people thinking that the MUD will allow the option of non-consensual sexual roleplay seems very out of proportion to me. If we are mature players I think most people would agree that it's far better to slightly tweak something to remove the ambiguity around what can be a very sensitive issue and one that the MUD has taken a firm stance on.
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Frigga » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:45 am

It was an oversight in the approval and wording of the documentation that could prove an issue for player interpretation not to mention legal standing, so let's all please relax, there's no need for f-bomb rages.

It was a minor change, the docs are great, people seem to be having fun with Wargs, so let's take a chill.
Frigga
The Ice Queen

Postby Matt » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:00 pm

Seemed like a legit point to make to me. If that one obscure possibly abused line is the only thing anyone picked out that seemed wrong I'd say that's a pretty successful doc.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Next

Return to Orcs

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login