It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:02 am
Change font size
Forum Home Public Orcs

Orcs

Orc and Warg Pecking Orders

All things yrkin. A place for Staff and players alike to use this space to coordinate RPTs and in-game events. Please keep in-character information off of this board.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Orc and Warg Pecking Orders

Postby Nimrod » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:35 pm

Might makes right in the Orcish and Wargish world. The strong pick on the weak and the weak train to become stronger. It's the most basic of instincts, and can be quite fun to roleplay on either side.

There is a set of unwritten rules in this game of domination.

1. If someone submits, accept the submission without further ado.
2. If you're clearly outmatched, submit.
3. Don't kill the character you're forcing to submit.
4. Don't rub someone's nose in it.
5. Plan your future revenge quietly.

Wargish and Orcish spheres are brutal. Don't expect to roll in to the clan with a fresh character and expect to boss anyone around or defiantly stand your ground to the end. Sure, you can be defiant, but when you're beat down, accept the fact that the other guy is stronger than you and move on. Train and one day beat the other guy down.

Some simple tips for weaker characters:

set pacifist
remove shield
set autoflee
surrender

If you're set pacifist, autoflee or surrender it's the OTHER guys responsibility to not murder you. If your character is killed and you're not fighting back. It's murder. If you're being stubborn and not fleeing, stopping, surrendering, or setting pacifist with sword wielded, you're asking for something to go wrong.

The stronger party in these conflicts has a responsibility as well. As soon as you see the other party try to flee, surrender, stop, drop their weapons, go pacifist, you need to be doing everything in your power to stop the coded combat. Here are some good commands for you to remember:

drop sword
drop all
set pacifist
flee

Facing these life or death situations is part of the fun for a lot of orc players. It can be particularly exciting when the two combatants are well matched. These fights often come down to who has the most guts, though they also end up having the most deaths, especially when you go straight to sharps. I suggest blunts for a well-matched bout, that way you can work out more clearly who is best without actually dying. (Though I know a lot of you won't want to.)

In the end, the life of your orc or warg is in your own hands for the most part. If you are willing to grovel a bit, your superior should, in most circumstances, let you live. If it's obvious that you're link dead or lagging, a superior combatant may decide to flee in order to avoid your character's death. If you decide to claim dominance because he fled in a coded manner to save your life, be prepared to be immediately beat down again.

In the end, if you're going to live by the sword, be prepared to die by the sword. If you're going to take part in a lot of combat, make sure you know ALL the commands and be quick about them.
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Re: Orc and Warg Pecking Orders

Postby radioactivejesus » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:38 pm

good post. It should be stated that while the evil-side is meant to be harsh, anyone who goes around trying to gank random characters without any prior rp for no real reason is generally punished pretty harshly. It's more fun to have a long standing rivalry with each orc trying to get the better of the other and steal his position/helmet/ear/warg and then cruelly mock him over the loss than it is to just have 1 minute of spamming hit kill and ending the conflict before it even got interesting.

Back on topic for the event that prompted this post... Is it possible to change the code so that people have a bigger hit-point pool for the unconscious state? The frequency that people immediately die without ever passing out is really high
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby tehkory » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:06 am

radioactivejesus wrote:Back on topic for the event that prompted this post... Is it possible to change the code so that people have a bigger hit-point pool for the unconscious state? The frequency that people immediately die without ever passing out is really high

That's kind of a good thing, honestly. Otherwise character death would be even harder/more uncommon. In a situation like this...if you don't want to risk dying, give up sooner. Three stars is a situation at which you can die. If you're (that) afraid of death, you give up around then.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby WorkerDrone » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:20 pm

tehkory wrote:That's kind of a good thing, honestly. Otherwise character death would be even harder/more uncommon. In a situation like this...if you don't want to risk dying, give up sooner. Three stars is a situation at which you can die. If you're (that) afraid of death, you give up around then.

I agree with Kory on this. If you feel like you are outclassed, it'll happen around three stars, which should put you at a point where surrender or a truce is possible. And to be honest, death should be at least a partial, possible consequence of any sort of lethal PVP encounter, intentional or not.
I hope you die right now, will you drink my chemical?

Brian wrote:See, the thing that I admire about WorkerDrone is that he's an optimist!

:lol:
WorkerDrone
Guide

Postby Brian » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:25 pm

Also agree here. If you consider being at three stars being about half of what you can possibly take before dying... Even that seems like a lot to me. Like, have I ever been at three stars in my life? Having led a relatively healthy life I don't think so. It'd be a lot of punishment to take.
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Matt » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:00 pm

I think the requirements for having to have X amount of larger wounds should be removed too. I want to be able to beat someone to death with my hands.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby tehkory » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:23 pm

Matt wrote:I think the requirements for having to have X amount of larger wounds should be removed too. I want to be able to beat someone to death with my hands.

I dunno about this one. It's just a moderate to the body/head, isn't it? The requirement you want removed, that is. It's pretty common to get moderates in a fight even -before- you drop someone onto the floor, much less after when they're defenseless, when you can hit them in the head. Unless you're referring to armored opponents?
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby WorkerDrone » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:54 pm

Matt wrote:I think the requirements for having to have X amount of larger wounds should be removed too. I want to be able to beat someone to death with my hands.

I don't really think this should be removed. It's more convenient than inconvenient. Also it isn't really "X amount until death", so much as, if a person has gone past their threshold for wounds (their pool of HP, namely), any wound of moderate size or larger will result in death. It is very rare not to do that kind of harm while hitting an unconscious or helpless person after just a hit or two.

As for fists, pretty sure you could score a moderate after a few repeated headshots, depending.
I hope you die right now, will you drink my chemical?

Brian wrote:See, the thing that I admire about WorkerDrone is that he's an optimist!

:lol:
WorkerDrone
Guide

Postby Real » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:17 pm

I've crushed someone's skull to death before, it's possible.
Takes at least Great strength I'd say, or good Brawling skill.
Either or, and combined you'll be able to destroy the unconscious.
Everything gets smaller now the further that I go
Towards the mouth and the reunion of the known and the unknown
Consider yourself lucky if you think of it as home
You can move mountains with your misery if you don't
Real
Elf Recruit

Postby radioactivejesus » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:19 pm

yea, it's possible to finish off unconscious people by punching them in the head. Just take their helmet and hauberk off
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Return to Orcs

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login