It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:57 am
Change font size
Forum Home Public Orcs

Orcs

Embarrassing

All things yrkin. A place for Staff and players alike to use this space to coordinate RPTs and in-game events. Please keep in-character information off of this board.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: Embarrassing

Postby Gobbo » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:11 am

Someone mentioned you can't use the term slit anymore. If that's true can I ask why? My mind is blown, this mud is 18 plus and the slur is completely fictional. It was invented by soi and has never been a problem over the years of orc spheres.

If there is an admin in charge of the orcs that gets offended by a term as silly as slit. Maybe they should be shuffled to a different sphere with rainbows and bunnies.

I don't play orcs for many reasons and this doesn't really affect me...yet. However if we start banning words like slit soon we won't be able to swear at all.
Gobbo
Honored Dwarf

Postby Holmes » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:12 am

Gobbo wrote:Someone mentioned you can't use the term slit anymore. If that's true can I ask why? My mind is blown, this mud is 18 plus and the slur is completely fictional. It was invented by soi and has never been a problem over the years of orc spheres.

If there is an admin in charge of the orcs that gets offended by a term as silly as slit. Maybe they should be shuffled to a different sphere with rainbows and bunnies.

I don't play orcs for many reasons and this doesn't really affect me...yet. However if we start banning words like slit soon we won't be able to swear at all.

This mud is not 18+, and in fact is bound by an aging agreement with Tolkien Enterprises to remain at least outwardly family friendly.

If your RP can't exist without a rather disgusting term, maybe you should be the one that shuffles off. :)
Holmes
Elf Recruit

Postby Onasaki » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:20 am

A word is a word, is a word, is a frelling word. NO ONE was offended by the term, at all, orc-side. Banning it was completely and utterly silly, and it just goes to show how little respect the Orc Sphere gets.

Are we going to ban beheading next? Maybe turn blood into slime, too. Are we no longer allowed to kill people with swords, axes, maces, and bows? Is the siegecraft stuff coming in going to be shooting teddy bears instead of rocks?

Yeah, lets turn the Orc Sphere into this:

That'll make everyone happy, fun, and nice. And it pretty much sums up this entire thread.
I have two forces by my side
One's the truth and one's a lie
Which one's which I cannot tell
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Postby Holmes » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:49 am

Onasaki wrote:A word is a word, is a word, is a frelling word. NO ONE was offended by the term, at all, orc-side. Banning it was completely and utterly silly, and it just goes to show how little respect the Orc Sphere gets.

Are we going to ban beheading next? Maybe turn blood into slime, too. Are we no longer allowed to kill people with swords, axes, maces, and bows? Is the siegecraft stuff coming in going to be shooting teddy bears instead of rocks?

Yeah, lets turn the Orc Sphere into this:

That'll make everyone happy, fun, and nice. And it pretty much sums up this entire thread.

Somewhere, there are a few farms missing their strawmen.
Holmes
Elf Recruit

Postby Onasaki » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:55 am

They were turned living by the magic of Oz. So we're at an impasse.
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Postby LadyMizra » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:02 am

I don't think we need to be nicer to newbies who don't give us any respect. Sure, I believe in ooc consideration when its due, but if some newbie walks in and attacks us, tries to run the place, then yes, we're going to beat him down. And yes, sometimes they end up dead. But they only end up dead because -they're- being stupid. We shouldn't have to just suffer through their bull crap because they are newbies. I remember when I was a newbie to rping and I was a complete idiot. People didn't go easy on me when I acted like that, and they didn't need to. We help the newbies who deserve a helping hand, not the ones who don't.

And seriously, blocking certain orc curse words is ridiculous. We're flipping orcs. But at this point...

LadyMizra
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Gobbo » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:24 am

Whoops we are in fact family friendly after reading the policy page. My bad. Old soi. Atonement and parallel RPI were all 18 plus. So I assumed wrongly here.

I guess we are screwed by tolkien enterprises on that. There is probably one 15 year old boy who plays and needs to be shielded from invented slurs.
Gobbo
Honored Dwarf

Postby Brian » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:22 am

Gobbo wrote:There is probably one 15 year old boy who plays and needs to be shielded from invented slurs.

There may be, but I'm a 29 year old man and I don't want to see that term used IG either and am glad that it's banned.

The use of that term is way too closely tied to rape culture given that it was a term used to describe any female orc or to be used as a derogatory insult. Imagine if you tried to use a term such as woolies to reference all the women in your workplace, or in your school; that's what was happening with the use of slit and female orcs.

You may say "well, this is a game" but it's exactly things like this, games, television and other media, that propagate rape culture by allowing usage like this. You might also say "that's how orcs would behave" and you're probably right. However given that we're humans behind these characters, and we don't know what the player behind a character has suffered, I think it's absolutely the right call to ban sexualized violence against women in SoI, which is exactly what the term slit is.
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Patty » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:22 am

Warn them, teach them, warn them, deal with them.

Sometimes accidents happen on steps 1-3. I've never "got my ego fix" on this game.
<****** / ^^^^^^ / ||||||>
The head is there.
Patty
Honored Dwarf

Postby biral » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:58 am

Orcs are just going to shits and I'd like to say why. Players. I had an Orc pc which died to wilderness, created RP within the sphere and kept it entertaining in what I could manage best I believe. I rolled another pc into the Orcs with 7 hours played, and have some pc kill me with no RP, at all. This is reason enough to put me off rolling into the sphere again. Goblin pc, I don't know your name, but you have no right killing my player when you bear the new player status too. During our fight, I was the only one who emoted, you knocked me out, and I woke up, and you knocked me out again right after, are you too stupid to realize you need to -flee- the second time you knock me out so you don't kill me the third time you k.o me again? If Onosaki's PC killed me, I'd have no problem, because it was Roleplayed out and it would not be game breaking. But to kill a player whose just trying to create RP with NO REAON, not one worth the hundred spent on them as slave of Vadok, you are in the wrong game. You hit me two minors and k.o'd me while I had 5 mods, I could create an exact same PC and drop you more than three stars in the span of two hits received, I could kill your pc just because you acted like a dick, fresh out of CG. You're not hot shit, shmurda is.
biral
Verified Member

Postby Icarus » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:54 am

I recieved logs that don't quite follow your account. Mind sending your own in via a ticket? Because they tell a bit of a different tale.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby biral » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:55 pm

Sorry Icarus I play off my phone so copy pasting logs is not possible, besides I logged off after I died because I was pissed, and I've already rolled into a different sphere and happy there. Enjoy one less active player orcs.
I did petition staff to see if any were around who might've seen everything because I'm sure anyone would agree ~goblin needs to shape up or shift out. My PC was not resurrected hours after my death and hanging around in the guest lounge, so I decided I'd make a human PC. It sucks that there's one or two bad apples who have to ruin it for someone who deserves just as much in game as them, that player had new player status too, so what makes them think they're special shit that they can take it into their hands to kill me? I'm talking about the person behind the screen, not the pc, I hope you're reading this, maybe go play PRPI and kill some squicks if that's what you're looking for and pick up on your RP skills. Orc sphere isn't a pkilling sphere, it exists, but within reason, I'm assuming you're new to this game, or just too ignorant to read the posts that exist on the forums?
biral
Verified Member

Postby Ceredir » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:41 am

biral wrote:My PC was not resurrected hours after my death and hanging around in the guest lounge, so I decided I'd make a human PC.

Death and Resurrection wrote:Player killing (PK) is a valid action within our game and if otherwise within our policies and guidelines is a valid reason for the permanent death of a player character. Lack of satisfaction with the quality of roleplay surrounding such an event is not in and of itself a valid reason for a resurrection. However if reported, such will certainly be taken into consideration by staff in the future awarding or removal of roleplay points (RPP).

Other than that, I believe all has been said. Can we all take a lesson from this and move on, please?
I don't always test my code.
But when I do I do it on the player port.
Ceredir
Journeyman Architect

Postby Onasaki » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:56 am

Just going to point out that the (new player) tag doesn't necessarily mean the character is a new player. It just means it's a new PC, and they either A. Forgot to turn off the flag, or B. Haven't reached 12 hours yet.
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Postby biral » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:02 am

How is that relevant? It just makes (new player's) case worse. Leave it be now.
biral
Verified Member

Postby Icarus » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:04 am

I believe this discussion has run its course, overall. I'm closing this thread unless Nim decides to re-open.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Previous

Return to Orcs

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login