Resident suggest/question?

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Post Reply
User avatar
Jarlhen
Dwarf Recruit
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:28 am
Contact:

Resident suggest/question?

Post by Jarlhen » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:02 am

Just a quick question/suggestion. Is there currently an automated way for people to rent a place to stay? If not, I don't know if you guys have access to old files and stuff. But back in Fahad Jafari an admin (I forget her name) whipped up a pretty complicated prog to allow people to rent an apartment. It wasn't perfect, would obviously be much better if coded, but it did work pretty darn well. Perhaps, if you guys have access to that old stuff, that prog could be moved over to this version of SoI and let people rent places to stay?

Just a thought!
Image
[From Shammat] The Dark Lord demands more mashed potatoes.

User avatar
Eru
Guide
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 2:13 pm

Re: Resident suggest/question?

Post by Eru » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:20 am

I'm pretty sure the old codebase was lost so they'd likely not have access to that old script. :|

User avatar
Jarlhen
Dwarf Recruit
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:28 am
Contact:

Re: Resident suggest/question?

Post by Jarlhen » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:26 am

Eru wrote:I'm pretty sure the old codebase was lost so they'd likely not have access to that old script. :|
That's a shame. It was a really extensive prog that allowed you to rent an apartment for X amount of time and allowed you to extend your lease as well. The whole process was automated. Was pretty cool. Probably the best thing about the whole sphere!
Image
[From Shammat] The Dark Lord demands more mashed potatoes.

User avatar
Songweaver
Ent Sapling
Posts: 527
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:21 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Resident suggest/question?

Post by Songweaver » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:51 am

Kithrater created the means for apartment rental in the ARPI code. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to get that working for SOI3. I do know that Utterby has the means for which you can rent a room at the Inn, so long as there's availability, but it's just a singular room.

User avatar
Tiamat
Honored Elf
Posts: 388
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:08 pm

Re: Resident suggest/question?

Post by Tiamat » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:25 pm

I know for a fact it can work. I got a working prototype of it last summer. I believe the concern was about giving players infinite storage space because of a well-known exploit.
Image

User avatar
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus
Posts: 2837
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:45 pm

Re: Resident suggest/question?

Post by Icarus » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:28 pm

We have it. Just need to stick it in to the boarding house.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."

tehkory
Master Ent
Posts: 627
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: Resident suggest/question?

Post by tehkory » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:13 pm

Tiamat wrote:I know for a fact it can work. I got a working prototype of it last summer. I believe the concern was about giving players infinite storage space because of a well-known exploit.

Code: Select all

'Easy' fix for that exploit:
create room
set maximum room weight to X
fill room with containers/furniture that exceed X
exploit gone
Maybe there's an exploit around that hackjob, but I can't think of one. Just something to consider when the new housing's implemented.

Matt
Ent Sapling
Posts: 533
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:47 pm

Re: Resident suggest/question?

Post by Matt » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:06 pm

tehkory wrote:
Tiamat wrote:I know for a fact it can work. I got a working prototype of it last summer. I believe the concern was about giving players infinite storage space because of a well-known exploit.

Code: Select all

'Easy' fix for that exploit:
create room
set maximum room weight to X
fill room with containers/furniture that exceed X
exploit gone
Maybe there's an exploit around that hackjob, but I can't think of one. Just something to consider when the new housing's implemented.
I'll figure it out.

tehkory
Master Ent
Posts: 627
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: Resident suggest/question?

Post by tehkory » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:09 pm

Matt wrote:
tehkory wrote:
Tiamat wrote:I know for a fact it can work. I got a working prototype of it last summer. I believe the concern was about giving players infinite storage space because of a well-known exploit.

Code: Select all

'Easy' fix for that exploit:
create room
set maximum room weight to X
fill room with containers/furniture that exceed X
exploit gone
Maybe there's an exploit around that hackjob, but I can't think of one. Just something to consider when the new housing's implemented.
I'll figure it out.
Follow guy, hide object, make him enter the room, bam.

Mithrandur
Honored Dwarf
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:20 pm

Re: Resident suggest/question?

Post by Mithrandur » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:13 pm

tehkory wrote:
Tiamat wrote:I know for a fact it can work. I got a working prototype of it last summer. I believe the concern was about giving players infinite storage space because of a well-known exploit.

Code: Select all

'Easy' fix for that exploit:
create room
set maximum room weight to X
fill room with containers/furniture that exceed X
exploit gone
Maybe there's an exploit around that hackjob, but I can't think of one. Just something to consider when the new housing's implemented.
Pre-furnishing the rooms -would- be a fairly simple way to remove the most of the issue of players exceeding room size. You get 1 bin/chest, one dresser/cupboard, 1 bed, and maybe a table to fill up the room's 'weight'. These items though would need to be flagged no-take to prevent people from picking something up on accident and then being unable to drop them again. That said, so long as you ensure you provide -enough- storage space, this won't be an issue with 95% of the playerbase except maybe Matt. The hoarder ;)

Matt
Ent Sapling
Posts: 533
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:47 pm

Re: Resident suggest/question?

Post by Matt » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:31 pm

For some reason as soon as I have storage I have 10000 lbs worth of supplies, it's weird.

Also that'd most definitely work Kory. I bet it'd occasionally crash the game as well!

Letters
Elf Recruit
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: Resident suggest/question?

Post by Letters » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:11 am

Throwing empty bins at people would probably do it too. The room capacity code as is is easily exploited and would probably need to be rewritten to account for objects being put in containers as well as just being dropped in the room - it's been a while, but I'm pretty sure it only looks for objects being dropped, as is.
Last edited by Letters on Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
A skeletal, pig-tailed-haired male teen says,
"Prepare to meet your doom, loping man. It is I, loitering person, your nemesis."

User avatar
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus
Posts: 2837
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:45 pm

Re: Resident suggest/question?

Post by Icarus » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:13 am

Rooms with an excessive amount of shit may be randomly purged by an Icarus. There, that's the solution. Boom. You got robbed. What a pity, call the constable.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."

tehkory
Master Ent
Posts: 627
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: Resident suggest/question?

Post by tehkory » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:51 pm

Letters wrote:Throwing empty bins at people would probably do it too. The room capacity code as is is easily exploited and would probably need to be rewritten to account for objects being put in containers as well as just being dropped in the room - it's been a while, but I'm pretty sure it only looks for objects being dropped, as is.
Pretty sure it accounts for throwing. I remember trying that.

User avatar
Brian
Honored Elf
Posts: 417
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:56 pm

Re: Resident suggest/question?

Post by Brian » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:17 pm

Icarus wrote:Rooms with an excessive amount of shit may be randomly purged by an Icarus. There, that's the solution. Boom. You got robbed. What a pity, call the constable.
I've heard that if you had an ungodly amount of items in your apartment it might lead to said apartment catching fire.


You know. Just heard...

tehkory
Master Ent
Posts: 627
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: Resident suggest/question?

Post by tehkory » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:53 pm

Brian wrote:
Icarus wrote:Rooms with an excessive amount of shit may be randomly purged by an Icarus. There, that's the solution. Boom. You got robbed. What a pity, call the constable.
I've heard that if you had an ungodly amount of items in your apartment it might lead to said apartment catching fire.


You know. Just heard...
Get it right. It was all of the apartments. Someone at some point hoarded so many items that, upon his death and the subsequent looting, the Admins decided it was best to just burn down the entire complex of apartments.

Every. Single. One.

We're talking hoarding of Biblical proportions. God settled on a flood. Admins solved it with fire.

Whoever that guy was, he had a lot of nerve.

User avatar
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus
Posts: 2837
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:45 pm

Re: Resident suggest/question?

Post by Icarus » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:10 pm

In other news, I'm putting this IG now.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."

User avatar
Brian
Honored Elf
Posts: 417
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:56 pm

Re: Resident suggest/question?

Post by Brian » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:18 pm

tehkory wrote:
Brian wrote:
Icarus wrote:Rooms with an excessive amount of shit may be randomly purged by an Icarus. There, that's the solution. Boom. You got robbed. What a pity, call the constable.
I've heard that if you had an ungodly amount of items in your apartment it might lead to said apartment catching fire.


You know. Just heard...
Get it right. It was all of the apartments. Someone at some point hoarded so many items that, upon his death and the subsequent looting, the Admins decided it was best to just burn down the entire complex of apartments.

Every. Single. One.

We're talking hoarding of Biblical proportions. God settled on a flood. Admins solved it with fire.

Whoever that guy was, he had a lot of nerve.
What a D.

User avatar
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling
Posts: 463
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Resident suggest/question?

Post by radioactivejesus » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:31 pm

RIP Dragomir, king of the solo-scavvers
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.

tehkory
Master Ent
Posts: 627
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: Resident suggest/question?

Post by tehkory » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:50 pm

radioactivejesus wrote:RIP Dragomir, king of the solo-scavvers
Everybody forgets that he had a partner! Matt played him(I think), but I forget his name. My PC tagged along, too. It was mostly all Dragomir, though.

User avatar
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus
Posts: 2837
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:45 pm

Re: Resident suggest/question?

Post by Icarus » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:53 pm

I loved Dragomir.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."

User avatar
Holmes
Elf Recruit
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:22 pm

Re: Resident suggest/question?

Post by Holmes » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:56 pm

Brian wrote: What a D.
I created a monster.

Matt
Ent Sapling
Posts: 533
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:47 pm

Re: Resident suggest/question?

Post by Matt » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:45 pm

Yea, that was me as Worm. We were pretty ballin haha.

Post Reply