It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:40 am
Change font size
Forum Home Public Orcs

Orcs

wearing hoods and skulking in the halls

All things yrkin. A place for Staff and players alike to use this space to coordinate RPTs and in-game events. Please keep in-character information off of this board.

Moderator: Elder Staff

wearing hoods and skulking in the halls

Postby mongwen » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:06 am

I'm going to put this bluntly. Stop it. There's no good IC reason to hide your face inside the halls, and no good reason to skulk around the halls. It's one thing if you're wearing a helm that does it. There's no coded way to lift the visor on a cage helm so your face can be seen. Frankly I'd rather see people tuck face-hiding helms into satchels, but that leads to complications if you think you're wearing your helm and you're not. However there's no excuse for walking around cloak up. It's not like you get rained on in a cave.
A yellow-eyed, blotchy-fleshed brown uruk slowly slunks over, sneakily swaggering with a sleek step.
mongwen
Honored Dwarf

Re: wearing hoods and skulking in the halls

Postby Brian » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:39 am

I wouldn't presume to understand the motivations for why other characters do things, but they may very well have a legitimate reason. It's one thing for there to be an IC decree from on high that you can't wear hoods in X location, but we have no idea why characters do what they do, and some of the hood wearing characters might have what they believe to be a relevant IC reason to do so. It isn't objectively wrong in any sense, and I think they should feel free to do so. If your character doesn't like it, give them crap about it IG, but there's no call for an OOC ban or anything.
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Icarus » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:47 am

If clan leads request it, happy to make things nohide in the halls :)
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby radioactivejesus » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:14 pm

Icarus wrote:If clan leads request it, happy to make things nohide in the halls :)

the hall can be a crowded and cluttered place, and there are definitely plenty of places for goblins to hide. For both the issue with players who wear their cloaks all the time, and the players who abuse hide/sneak commands, I figure it's best dealt with ICly on a case by case basis.

It should be common knowledge that orcs are often mistrustful of their fellow orcs. Considering the warband's many goblinoid rivals and enemies, and the likelihood of a member of the Vadok trying to stab another member for their shiny trinkets, I feel it makes sense for most people to be extremely distrustful of anyone who goes sneaking around in the hall with their hood up, and react appropriately to the situation
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby Knight26 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:24 pm

Wearing your hood up is a cool thing to do, and we all know Ork are the king of swags.
Knight26
Forum Hobbit

Postby Hawkwind » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:15 pm

It is the most cliched thing ever in this game, one i cant help but make IC when the brooding warrior is seated at the bar wearing one.

I would hate to see it go from either side.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby Eru » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:44 am

radioactivejesus wrote:It should be common knowledge that orcs are often mistrustful of their fellow orcs. Considering the warband's many goblinoid rivals and enemies, and the likelihood of a member of the Vadok trying to stab another member for their shiny trinkets, I feel it makes sense for most people to be extremely distrustful of anyone who goes sneaking around in the hall with their hood up, and react appropriately to the situation

On the flip side of that coin, the mistrust between members of the Vadok may be the exact reason they have their hoods up and don't want to be easily identifiable.

I can see how during patrols it might make more sense to keep them down, since officers are present to maintain the peace/order or to avoid confusion during combat and targetting mishaps between hooded characters but backstabbings and assassinations are a very real fear for some, no?

That said, the choice should be at the player's discretion and how they feel like playing their character. Ultimately I think this is more of an IG issue to resolve if you have a problem with it.
Eru
Guide

Postby radioactivejesus » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:43 am

Eru wrote:That said, the choice should be at the player's discretion and how they feel like playing their character. Ultimately I think this is more of an IG issue to resolve if you have a problem with it.

agreed entirely. I wouldn't want to see any OOC rule or coded enforcements preventing orcs from being shifty bastards, and people often do have valid reasons for hiding their faces or sneaking about the warrens.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby cfelch » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:24 am

I would like to see an IC method of dehooding someone that doesn't require capturing them or knocking them out.

Maybe an ambush mock-up that would use your covert skills.
You are effectively stealing their anonymity.
Every point ever made was an argument.
cfelch
Elf Recruit

Postby Patty » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:27 am

Threats of violence are pretty IC.
<****** / ^^^^^^ / ||||||>
The head is there.
Patty
Honored Dwarf

Postby Hawkwind » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:44 am

Does the study command still work?
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby Holmes » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:27 am

Hawkwind wrote:Does the study command still work?

It should still exist. It might explode something, though, since I think it called eye color and I don't believe the present chargen assigns eye color? Go study someone and report back if the game crashes.
Holmes
Elf Recruit

Postby Knight26 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:44 pm

Patty wrote:Threats of violence are pretty IC.

Why violence?
Knight26
Forum Hobbit

Postby radioactivejesus » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:34 pm

Knight26 wrote:
Patty wrote:Threats of violence are pretty IC.

Why violence?

because where there's a whip, there's a way.
look sword
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby cfelch » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:53 pm

Holmes wrote:

It should still exist. It might explode something, though, since I think it called eye color and I don't believe the present chargen assigns eye color? Go study someone and report back if the game crashes.

It does indeed still work.
I used this in Uttersby a few weeks back and got bitched at for not RPing around it first, after both of us just staring at a spam-free barroom for fifteen minutes.

...given that it is just an intent look, i think this would be one of those code=RP moments, and i wonder why it has any messanging for anyone but the user of the command in the first place.
cfelch
Elf Recruit

Postby tehkory » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:39 pm

cfelch wrote:
Holmes wrote:

It does indeed still work.
I used this in Uttersby a few weeks back and got bitched at for not RPing around it first, after both of us just staring at a spam-free barroom for fifteen minutes.

...given that it is just an intent look, i think this would be one of those code=RP moments, and i wonder why it has any messanging for anyone but the user of the command in the first place.

if code=RP, then code needs to echo.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby cfelch » Fri May 01, 2015 9:08 am

tehkory wrote:if code=RP, then code needs to echo.

On the whole, I agree with you, and as it stands currently it does message.
I am arguing that it is not something that should be readily apparent.
Most 'looks' however intent, are usually, plain and simply not noticed.
As it stands the code is forcing us to notice something we likely shouldn't.
Which ends up blowing things needlessly out of proportion.

The fact that I am trying to recognize you should be irrelevant.
Even if I do recognize you, unless I do something about the fact, how would anyone know to be able to 'respond'?

It should not be an RPable moment until I do something based on the results of studying you.
cfelch
Elf Recruit

Postby Yoink » Tue May 05, 2015 8:42 pm

What? STUDY is basically getting close to someone and peering into their hood to try and work out who they are. Certainly noticeable, especially if the hooded person is a sneaky bastard actively trying to keep their identity hidden.
Droll wrote:You know they are going to sic an ent on us right?
Forest fire prpt tonight. Bring torches.
Yoink
Dwarf Recruit

Postby cfelch » Tue May 05, 2015 9:16 pm

Yoink wrote:What? STUDY is basically getting close to someone and peering into their hood to try and work out who they are. Certainly noticeable, especially if the hooded person is a sneaky bastard actively trying to keep their identity hidden.

Then the default messaging should change to reflect that this is what is happening.

As I recall, it just says something along the order of:

You study so and so and determine they are 'That Guy'.
You study so and so but can't make out their features.
cfelch
Elf Recruit

Postby tehkory » Tue May 05, 2015 9:20 pm

cfelch wrote:
Yoink wrote:What? STUDY is basically getting close to someone and peering into their hood to try and work out who they are. Certainly noticeable, especially if the hooded person is a sneaky bastard actively trying to keep their identity hidden.

Then the default messaging should change to reflect that this is what is happening.

As I recall, it just says something along the order of:

You study so and so and determine they are 'That Guy'.
You study so and so but can't make out their features.

Code: Select all
Perception: Study

Usage: study <target>

Using this command will allow you to attempt to identify a cloaked figure
currently in the room.

Please do not use this command repeatedly in a short time, as it does get
rather spammy; also, ensure that every attempt is properly roleplayed.

See Also: Code-Abuse Stare

Last Updated: Mon May 20 12:38:48 2002, by Traithe

<****** / ^^^^^^ / |||||| / hidden> <****** / ^^^^^^ / |||||| / hidden>

We've got a helpfile, for when things are confusing/divisive. Turns out the helpfile makes it clear, though. Emote it out.
tehkory
Master Ent

Return to Orcs

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login