It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:07 am
Change font size
Forum Home Public Lore

Lore

Beorning characteristics

A place to discuss Middle-Earth Lore, for all you canon-lovers.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Beorning characteristics

Postby GreenRiver » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:03 am

I was interested to read the Wiki section on Beornings, and to see how they are being interpreted for use in SoI.

I know there is a lot of room for interpretation with Beornings, given that not a great deal was written about them by Tolkien. I was just wondering though, if there's a reason why they are mentioned in the Wiki as being 'Honorable. Generally respectful with others. Strong sense of right and wrong.'

In the chapter 'The Return Journey' of The Hobbit, while most are said to be 'in heart like Beorn' some were 'grim men and bad'. Was it a conscious decision to leave out this possibility for Beornings in SoI?
GreenRiver
Verified Member

Re: Beorning characteristics

Postby Icarus » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:00 am

Great question Greenriver! I'll touch base with Rishte and discuss.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Rishte » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:18 pm

Why hello Greenriver!

There is always that one bad apple in the orchard, if you know what I mean, or a handful in the bushel. Generally, Beorning Folk are in the heart of Beorn and in that are respectful, honorable and have that sense of right and wrong. But like every group of individuals, you have individuals and there will be exceptions to that generalization. Should then every Beorning be that grim, bad-seed sort of bear that woke up on the wrong side of the cave or that going-to-sting-you-for-the-fun-of-it bee? Probably not.

As you all know, we're still working diligently at getting the game live and ready for being 100% fully open. With that we try things and we test them for a while and if they do not fit with the direction that the mud is going or even the direction the players are going, then we revisit those things. This happened with Beorning Folk. It was a collective decision to bring out the Beorn* in the Beorning Folk.

*Not to say there is any shapeshifting like Beorn himself.
Rishte
The Shadow

Postby GreenRiver » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:53 pm

Hello!

I see - that makes sense.

Thanks for the answer, Rishte :)
GreenRiver
Verified Member

Return to Lore

Connect

FacebookTwitter